rllmuk
Uzi

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

5 hours ago, Gizamaluke said:

I'm stuck on CM in MV...

Hide contents

Corrupted Monk in Mibu Village. I just can't get the rhythm of this fight at all after feeling pretty badass for the rest of the game. The combo's this boss throws out plus the reach it has just turn this into a complete battle of attrition. I get that there are items I could grind but I've been so close...

If you're still stuck, this is an easy fight when you use Mortal Draw on him, as it can be used even without spirit emblems! All it does is do slightly less damage. Wait for him to do his little combo/spin attack, then run in and use Mortal Draw once or twice (depending on timing, once to be safe) and he'll take a bit of damage, even if he blocks as Mortal Draw is unblockable!

I dunno if this is supposed to be usable when out of spirit emblems (I looked on the wiki, and there's no mention of it), but it does do less damage when out of them, so who knows.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Steven said:

I know they're different, but would you say it's harder than Bloodbourne?

Nah, it's about the same, I think! 

• Upvote 1

Just finished it.

The last boss for me was friggin amazing. He’s tough, but once you figure things out, man, what a fight it is. Like the Genichiro fight, you get wrecked at the start but as you learn the next thing you know you’re doing phases without even taking a hit.

Sooooo satisfying.

• Upvote 5

Attempted GuAp again earlier...

Spoiler

and got the deathbl- oh of course there's a whole other sequence to that fight. :D 

It seems do-able though; there are one or two attacks that look like they have just enough recovery for me to punish. And I heard about a certain prosthetic skill that can help, so I may look into that...

1 hour ago, Mr Ben said:
  Hide contents

If you're still stuck, this is an easy fight when you use Mortal Draw on him, as it can be used even without spirit emblems! All it does is do slightly less damage. Wait for him to do his little combo/spin attack, then run in and use Mortal Draw once or twice (depending on timing, once to be safe) and he'll take a bit of damage, even if he blocks as Mortal Draw is unblockable!

I dunno if this is supposed to be usable when out of spirit emblems (I looked on the wiki, and there's no mention of it), but it does do less damage when out of them, so who knows.

CM down and this is what I ended up doing. Took me bloody ages, but at least I'm past that damned purple bastard.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Steven said:

I'm intrigued, but comments like this really make me think I can live without the stress. I know they're different, but would you say it's harder than Bloodbourne?

I honestly don't recall anything in Bloodborne being as hard as some of the fights in this. 

Thing is, for all of the reputation that Souls/BB has for its difficulty, it offers you two escape routes in the form of a) grinding for levels and thus more health/survivability, and b) multiplayer/AI summons. Neither of those things exist in this game (aside from the early drunkard fight I guess, but even that AI serves as nothing more than a temporary distraction). 

• Upvote 2

Re CM -

Spoiler

you can use items to make it really easy. I was a bit wary in case it went wrong and I had used everything up but divine confetti + red sugar makes you do *loads* more damage, and snap seeds stun and take health. With a bit of firecracker and handfuls of ash you can basically get her without her attacking more than a couple of times

I'd love a mode to replay some of these boss fights which is something I never really wanted in the Souls games. I was always elated but happy to get it over with.

It'd be great to go for S-Ranks against Genichiro or whatever.

• Upvote 2

Initial GuAp encounter complete! Much more manageable once you've seen the windows of opportunity and you have time to be patient. :) 

• Upvote 1

GA is down and I am a fucking God!!! :omg:

Haven't played since Sunday and something just clicked with the rhythm of his attacks tonight.

On my 1st attempt this evening, I got to the final phase without having to use a gourd. Couple of more attempts and some silly mistakes then on round 5, I got the fucker

Feels good :D 

Can finally get back to playing the game lol

• Upvote 3

I'm done with this game. Gave up after dying repeatedly on GSO. Does way too much damage and GSO posture bar doesn't fill up quickly enough. Done one phase. But the controls and getting stuck on the environment running around is tedious. If you don't block or mess up a dodge his attacks take way too much damage from you.

Tried repelling constantly and other strats. Just gave up in the end. 

• Empathy 1

Finally defeated man in the well. Then 3 minutes later another mini boss. I’m not sure if I’m going to continue after this as much as I want to like it, it’s not really delivering in the feel of exploration, pacing or discovery I loved with their earlier games.

There’s no reward for beating enemies in regard to different skills or weapons, it’s just a very linear progression of study and attrition, which isn’t really my bag. 

Will give it a few more nights but I may bow out and close the paper door on this one.

I must admit, after finally defeating GuarA and CM one after the other, I found being almost immediately confronted by two more immensely difficult bosses pretty tiresome. The pacing and balancing of the game feel all over the shop to me, it's front-loaded with incredibly fun stealthy exploration hijinks but in reality once you reach Ashina Castle the majority of that stuff falls by the way-side for something which feels more like a boss rush with occasional cannon-fodder for farming.

There's almost zero player empowerment, it's a constant exercise of being taught one thing by one boss and then being immediately punished by the next one for the temerity of trying to use that knowledge again. It's difficult to settle into a rhythm when the game is constantly trying to prove that you still don't know how to play it.

• Upvote 5

Just stayed up way too late watching Happy Hob get a new Speedrun personal best (47mins), it was super engrossing! 

He took an interesting route through the game, semi sequence breaking, which was cool. 

Also Sekiro speedrunning is way more stylish and entertaining to watch than general Souls speedrunning; all the acrobatics make for some nifty / hairy moments! 

Can't get my head around that, the game's been out less than two weeks and there're people giving up through frustration yet someone can complete it in 47 minutes, that's unnatural. They must just play it 24/7 and do nothing else.

7 hours ago, robdood said:

Just stayed up way too late watching Happy Hob get a new Speedrun personal best (47mins), it was super engrossing! 

He took an interesting route through the game, semi sequence breaking, which was cool. 

Also Sekiro speedrunning is way more stylish and entertaining to watch than general Souls speedrunning; all the acrobatics make for some nifty / hairy moments! 

Distortion2 recored is 36.xx at the moment

Some of his strategys for the bosses are amazing

Tonight i WILL take out the guy at the top of the hill with the big spear. Got pretty close yesterday. I get one sneak attack on him but then I am just not super confident of pulling off the Mikiri counter every time and usually get clipped.

8 hours ago, CarloOos said:

I must admit, after finally defeating GuarA and CM one after the other, I found being almost immediately confronted by two more immensely difficult bosses pretty tiresome. The pacing and balancing of the game feel all over the shop to me, it's front-loaded with incredibly fun stealthy exploration hijinks but in reality once you reach Ashina Castle the majority of that stuff falls by the way-side for something which feels more like a boss rush with occasional cannon-fodder for farming.

There's almost zero player empowerment, it's a constant exercise of being taught one thing by one boss and then being immediately punished by the next one for the temerity of trying to use that knowledge again. It's difficult to settle into a rhythm when the game is constantly trying to prove that you still don't know how to play it.

Not sure this is strictly true...

You go from Ashima Castle, through 7 areas to get to the GuarA fight, from there you go through another 5 to get to CM. The problem is you are SUPER agile so areas can pass in a heartbeat.

They wanted to make a game with exciting traversal, which they’ve done an amazing job on. But an area like Mibu Village...You can pass through that in less than a minute. Imagine what it would be like if you had the agility of a knight in souls, it would take you ages!

So how do you deal with this agility? Standard enemies and areas are no longer useful to curb the players progression. 

You make a combat system system where players are gated and need to learn fights to get past.

Its fair enough to say that you’re fed up of the difficult combat, but this is the game. Exploration is secondary to traversal and combat.

Maybe this game can be seen a bit more as a marmite game. If you don’t like the boss fights in souls then this game probably isn’t for you.

Me personally, I’m always looking for the next General to get stuck in to.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Goemon said:

Maybe this game can be seen a bit more as a marmite game. If you don’t like the boss fights in souls then this game probably isn’t for you.

Hmmm.  I'm not sure. 

I mean, this is the first Soulsborne that I am actually, truly, enjoying the bosses. 

My bastard idiot moron thumbs are causing me so many deaths. For example, when fighting SES.

Spoiler

Snake Eyes Something in Ashina Depths

She only has one danger kanji move and it's a grab, which means dodging to the side won't work, you'll get grabbed. But every time the kanji flashes up, my thumbs immediately override my brain and dodge to the side. Every single fucking time. I hate my thumbs.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, skittles said:

Tonight i WILL take out the guy at the top of the hill with the big spear. Got pretty close yesterday. I get one sneak attack on him but then I am just not super confident of pulling off the Mikiri counter every time and usually get clipped.

It took me ages to do that guy. Partly because I wasted time trying to be clever and use the house for cover. It just makes things glitchy.

One minor tip after you've snuck up on him

Spoiler

immediatly hit him with a charged flamethrower attack for instant burning and about 10% of his health gone.

1 minute ago, dug said:

My bastard idiot moron thumbs are causing me so many deaths. For example, when fighting SES.

Hide contents

Snake Eyes Something in Ashina Depths

She only has one danger kanji move and it's a grab, which means dodging to the side won't work, you'll get grabbed. But every time the kanji flashes up, my thumbs immediately override my brain and dodge to the side. Every single fucking time. I hate my thumbs.

I'm still not sure exactly what that attack is.

Spoiler

Someone told me you could parry it, which would mean it isn't a grab, but the timing of it is so confusing. In the end, I got through that fight by sneaking up on her once and then jumping around a lot.