rllmuk
Uzi

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

3 hours ago, Mr Ben said:

I only found out last night that guarding makes your posture recover faster. It was randomly on a load screen. Like, why isnt that mentioned at the start of the game? :facepalm:

I was having a bit of trouble on a boss in Ashina Depths (that hits quite fast) and this allowed me to beat it. Boss was

Reveal hidden contents

O'rin of the Water

I could do with some help with that boss actually!

Spoiler

I can deflect/block most of her attack strings, but can't seem to get a hit in at all. She has no openings! How are you supposed to reduce her health to get at her posture?

10 minutes ago, Let us measure said:

I could do with some help with that boss actually!

Hide contents

I can deflect/block most of her attack strings, but can't seem to get a hit in at all. She has no openings! How are you supposed to reduce her health to get at her posture?

You arent supposed to beat her by depleting her health, really.

Also, there's a trick whereby you walk behind her at the start and jump into her (or throw something at her point blank), it allows a backstab for some reason. That's one health bar down, just parry everything she throws at you (and back off while guarding to lower your own posture) and repeat. If she does the kanji warning symbol attack, jump straight up and press the jump button again to stomp on her head - this does a lot of posture damage, and attack on the way back down to force her to block or deflect those attacks, weakening her posture even more. You'll soon break her posture, allowing a final deathblow, ridding you of the daft bint (seriously, she has a right strop if you run past her and dont talk to her).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Vemsie said:

Only real low point for me so far is 

Hide contents

The Headless

I hate bosses that force you into consumables.

You don't need to use consumables to kill them.

1 minute ago, Karzee said:

No, but it makes it ten times easier and quicker.

You can farm said consumables needed, or buy them later anyway, so its advisable to just leave them till later.

1 minute ago, Karzee said:

Spoiler

Well, I thought I needed Divine Confetti to damage him and sedatives to deal with the terror status effect? Did I miss something? :)

Just now, Vemsie said:
  Hide contents

Well, I thought I needed Divine Confetti to damage him and sedatives to deal with the terror status effect? Did I miss something? :)

You dont for the first, but they take extra damage, and it dispels any spells/effects temporarily, whereas the second is pretty much mandatory, as you'll just die from a full terror bar. You can buy sedatives from the vendor near the dilapidated temple, after he moves there once you "rescue" him by killing the enemies around him at Ashina Castle. He sells infinite amounts of them btw.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Mr Ben said:

You arent supposed to beat her by depleting her health, really.

Hide contents

Also, there's a trick whereby you walk behind her at the start and jump into her (or throw something at her point blank), it allows a backstab for some reason. That's one health bar down, just parry everything she throws at you (and back off while guarding to lower your own posture) and repeat. If she does the kanji warning symbol attack, jump straight up and press the jump button again to stomp on her head - this does a lot of posture damage, and attack on the way back down to force her to block or deflect those attacks, weakening her posture even more. You'll soon break her posture, allowing a final deathblow, ridding you of the daft bint (seriously, she has a right strop if you run past her and dont talk to her).

Awesome, thanks. Thought that might have been the case, just whenever I backed off she regained posture immediately. I just have to stay all up in her face.

Just killed

the Headless in Ashina Depths,

but fuck me was the camera being a right twat during it. It lost the lock on, but that wasnt the only issue, as it also decided to do a combo of that and some wacky semi spin mid fight (without me touching the right stick btw) meaning I was facing the wrong way and got killed. It must have got stuck on one of the trees in the area or some shit.

Glad that's done though, as I was dreading the fight due to the area, and rightly so as it turned out. I hate banging on about the bloody camera, as its the only thing ruining the game for me at the moment. C'mon From patch this shit please! (they wont though will they :()

• Upvote 2

Fourth skill tree get! Honestly I've been warping all over the shop so much that when I find new paths I'm not sure if I just missed them the first time or if they only unlocked after furthering the story. The latter stages of Mt Kongo feel like they would only make sense if you did them after a certain part of the story but I don't recall them being gated off in any way.

I do still miss the Dark Souls 1 world design to be honest. The shortcuts in this are crap, I'm not even sure why they're there. Not only are they unimpressive, with no wow moments, they're useless. You open castle doors from the other side you will never ever have to go through again. Feels like they're in the game out of obligation rather than necessity.

• Upvote 2

Done.

Realllllly wanna hear what other people think of the last boss. Either I'm significantly worse at this game than I originally thought, or From Software have decided to ask a whole lot in order to let people see the credits roll...

Night two still didn’t beat the man in the well. So close a few times but the camera is ridiculous in that small area. Even went back to fighting tutorial. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, macosx said:

Night two still didn’t beat the man in the well. So close a few times but the camera is ridiculous in that small area. Even went back to fighting tutorial. 

You can effectively start the fight proper with him on two-thirds of one health bar (if you’ve upgraded a certain tool) which makes it a lot easier to just grind through it.

Spoiler

Drop on him for one red dot. Then run up the stairs and strafe to dodge his shuriken while throwing your own spinning shuriken. 16 will take quite the chunk off him. Then just twat him.

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, Fallows said:

I think this is another thing that may have swayed me away from the game - the stealth. I usually avoid rogue-likes like the plague because I don't have the time or energy to be sneaking around. That totally killed off TLoU for me as well.

Very Off Topic - but just wanted to point out that 'rogue-like' does not mean a stealth game.  It means "like Rogue". Rogue was probably the first ever game to have randomly generated levels, meaning no two play throughs would be the same.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, lewismistreated said:

Done.

Realllllly wanna hear what other people think of the last boss. Either I'm significantly worse at this game than I originally thought, or From Software have decided to ask a whole lot in order to let people see the credits roll...

Damn well done!

I'm stuck on CM in MV...

Spoiler

Corrupted Monk in Mibu Village. I just can't get the rhythm of this fight at all after feeling pretty badass for the rest of the game. The combo's this boss throws out plus the reach it has just turn this into a complete battle of attrition. I get that there are items I could grind but I've been so close...

13 minutes ago, Gizamaluke said:

I'm stuck on CM in MV...

Hide contents

Corrupted Monk in Mibu Village. I just can't get the rhythm of this fight at all after feeling pretty badass for the rest of the game. The combo's this boss throws out plus the reach it has just turn this into a complete battle of attrition. I get that there are items I could grind but I've been so close...

I pissed away so many items on that fight.. In the end

Spoiler

I used fistful of Ash to get me two or three free hits, and the firecracker does the same thing. 10 Ash + 8 or 9 firecrackers = lot of free hits! If you pop a candy or confetti you can increase your damage. But in the end I had no confetti / etc left! 

The combat art 'mortal draw' does pretty good damage, even when you're out of emblems.  I'd can't be guarded either. 

I did get quite good at deflecting the strings etc. The most important thing is to not get too greedy after deflects, she has some crazy fast attacks to shrug you off 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Gizamaluke said:

I'm stuck on CM in MV...

Reveal hidden contents

Easy tactic

Divine confeti, snap seeds, firecrackers and Ash

Buff up with confetti, run to her, hit x3, snapseeds, hit x2, snapseeds, hit x2, snapseeds, hit x2, firecrackers, repeat till out of emblems and then replace with ash.

Should go down without any trouble at all

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, lewismistreated said:

Done.

Honestly, I don't think it's too hard, but it is very demanding, and super intimidating. I'd say Bloodborne's optional and final bosses were harder overall.

Every new phase seems really overwhelming, especially as Isshin does utterly ridiculous damage and chases you down like the terminator if you try and get some distance to heal, but I feel like every single one of his attacks is really well signposted, so if you're playing well enough to know how to deal with each attack, you can get by without too much trouble. If he's chasing you down, you can bait and dodge to get the time to heal, even if it's scary. 

Gen: Very straight forward, just be aggressive and you can interrupt most of his attacks. He uses the sweep more often than the thrust when you've been close up for a long time. I think this part is to mostly make you feel like a badass if you struggled with his previous encounter.

I definitely wasn't clowning on him on my first attempt, but after facing him probably a dozen times he can be done very very quickly.

Ish Phase 1: Get some distance and then sprint in. He'll either do nothing or sheathe his sword. If he sheathes, dodge when you see the flash and then jump over the follow up and bounce on him. This is the only jump counter you'll have to worry about, which means you can focus most of your effort on standard blocks, deflections and dodges. His standard three-strike attack combo is my favourite time to counter. Block/Deflect the first two strikes, dodge the third to get behind him and get a couple of hits in.

Definitely scary at first, but you really do start to see the openings in his attacks before long.

Ish Phase 2: Seems ridiculous at first as it's harder to bait attacks by swinging at him - his counters are huge and damaging - but he LOVES jumping when you get distance, which is a very easy dash under and counter. Block after in case he jumps away with a big spear slash, and repeat.

You definitely feel a little less in control here, but using the mikiri counter on his spear thrusts seems to have a very generous timing window, but knowing jumps are guaranteed damage helps you endure the rest of his nonsense.

Ish Phase 3: Basically the same as phase two, except you can use lightning returns for quick, free damage and feel like an utter badass doing it.

• Upvote 1

More CM tips

Look for his “Danger” low sweep in neutral. Stand at a range where you’re safe from this attack AND the follow up. This turns the monk around so she is facing away from you and will allow you to move into range and do a charged R1

when she does her jump attack, she either does a straight slam or a sweeping right to left low attack. Learn to dodge the slam (you can recognise it as she does a twirl in the air) and you can get a charged R1 here too.

Don’t Mikiri Counter the thrust attack just dodge left or right and get an attack in. The Mikiri Counter is risky and won’t gain you anything as her posture drips too quickly.

Her long sweeping attack is 5 spins. learn the parry timing and count along with each strike so you know when it will finish. Counting along allows you to get an attack in if you’re out of range for the final hit.

Well I'm slightly miffed about something on my replay.  Relates to the great serpent. 

Spoiler

Is there more than one? I thought I was being clever, and did the drop from Sunken Valley Passage to kill it, before going to the very bottom of sunken Valley, but the fucker is still in the cave :(

6 hours ago, lewismistreated said:

Done.

I'm intrigued, but comments like this really make me think I can live without the stress. I know they're different, but would you say it's harder than Bloodbourne?

Aye, it's definitely harder than Bloodborne. Bloodborne is also, for me at least, the superior game. I prefer the setting, the range of enemies, the range of weapons and playstyles, different builds... 

Prosthetics aside, Sekiro is rather one-note in comparison. I was getting into its story (and that took a while to get going), but the bosses were too large a roadblock for me. It's stress and frustration I just don't need in my life right now. 

• Upvote 2

Conversely this game has clicked with me in a way no other Soulslike has. I always thought the previous games were ok but while the environments were mostly good I found the combat a bit dull.

I'm struggling to think of another game that has done melee combat as well as Sekiro. I know it doesn't have the variety of weapons that the other games have but I think the differences of approach are still there just more nuanced. Some fights expect you to be the aggressor, pushing to try to put your opponent on the back foot, other fights it's the complete opposite where you need to constantly be parrying to survive. Some fights, especially against the big boys, are ones of attrition where you inflict a thousand cuts while they eventually tire themselves out and others are over in a matter of seconds if you parry a lethal flurry of attacks.

It is melee combat represented absolutely beautifully and I'm hooked. 

• Upvote 5

A few tweaks to offset some of the frustration would make this almost perfect for me. I love Dark Souls but I'm realy enjoying the lack of RPG stuff and the speed of movement in this, and the structure is very clever. It's a shame that From have got into this mind set of having to make bosses more and more complex though (it was already getting tedious in BB and more so in DS3), especially when the camera is no better than it was 10 years ago.

• Upvote 1

I prefer Bloodborne's setting and lore, but Sekiro's gameplay and level design. Which means it might end up as my favourite From game as it seemingly did for Vaati (which surprised me, considering Sekiro is less about the lore than Soulsborne). Going back to Souls after this will probably feel like wading through quicksand.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Steven said:

I'm intrigued, but comments like this really make me think I can live without the stress. I know they're different, but would you say it's harder than Bloodbourne?

Yeah, but it also feels totally different to actually play despite similarities.

6 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

I prefer Bloodborne's setting and lore, but Sekiro's gameplay and level design. Which means it might end up as my favourite From game as it seemingly did for Vaati (which surprised me, considering Sekiro is less about the lore than Soulsborne). Going back to Souls after this will probably feel like wading through quicksand.

The slower, deliberate combat is the thing I really love about Dark Souls. It's what made it stand out in a world of Devil May Cry, Bayonetta etc. I like this is something different, despite being unable to handle it. But I really hope it isn't a replacement.

BB was a speed and reaction increase and this is further along that line. If From don't revisit a more DS combat style, hope someone else picks up the baton.

• Upvote 1