rllmuk
Uzi

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

11 minutes ago, Majora said:

Returned to Mt Kongo and came across probably the most bizarre boss fight I've seen in the Soulsborne games. No idea what the bloody hell was going on but looking forward to figuring it out tonight.

It was the

Reveal hidden contents

screen monkeys

The game already felt weirdly inspired by Metal Gear Solid V but that boss totally confirmed it for me. MGSV spoilers! -

Spoiler

It was almost like the Quiet fight, I thought. Bizarre but fun.

• Upvote 1

Re: mout Kongo boss:

Spoiler

My favourite bit was working out the one without a picture (don't click, @Majora!)

Spoiler

Thank god for headphones! Hehe. 

Ha, the LSL miniboss at Ashina Reservoir is a lot easier to cheese when you have more skills unlocked and reserve items to spare. Ako's Sugar, drop attack, shadowrush, shadowrush, shadowrush... :P Not exactly sporting, but the camera in that area drove me mad.

That Kongo fight took me ages. The first time I had to stop cos we were going out and the second time I knew exactly what to do, but just couldn't seem to get it to happen.

Spoiler

I was so freaked out by the footsteps lol

5 minutes ago, robdood said:

Re: mout Kongo boss:

Hide contents

My favourite bit was working out the one without a picture (don't click, @Majora!)

Reveal hidden contents

Thank god for headphones! Hehe. 

TBH I just sort of quietly wandered about the area and

Spoiler

eventually caught them all. It was great though - such a relief not to have another multiphase boss fight.

So i just went down down down and after SES met another boss

Spoiler

More apes! But this time in cramped conditions! Did the first phase OK, despite having to use a resurrect when I got cornered and coundn't see anything. Then the other ape turns up. No problem, I thought, I've got that finger whistle that makes beasts go beserk and attack blindly. But apparently that doesn't work here. So now I've got to battle 2 apes and the camera all at the same time. I can't foresee much fun being had there.

Right at the end of this now, just trying to mop up a few things before going in to the final fight.

Need to find one prayer bead, which I have no clue about right now, messed up a couple NPC quest lines and did an optional boss that was super tough.

1 hour ago, BadgerFarmer said:

Hide contents

More apes! But this time in cramped conditions! Did the first phase OK, despite having to use a resurrect when I got cornered and coundn't see anything. Then the other ape turns up. No problem, I thought, I've got that finger whistle that makes beasts go beserk and attack blindly. But apparently that doesn't work here. So now I've got to battle 2 apes and the camera all at the same time. I can't foresee much fun being had there.

Firecrackers are your friend for when the otehr ape turns up, just concentrate on that one first

12 minutes ago, Goemon said:

Right at the end of this now, just trying to mop up a few things before going in to the final fight.

Need to find one prayer bead, which I have no clue about right now, messed up a couple NPC quest lines and did an optional boss that was super tough.

Have you

dived everywhere yet?

Lots of stuff is hidden like that. I found at least 2 doing that.

1 hour ago, BadgerFarmer said:

Reveal hidden contents

It's not too bad, honestly.

Spoiler

The second ape isn't really a 'full' ape - he seems to have much less health, and only one deathblow needed. Just circle the arena, and pick your attacks against the mini-ape while the other one is distracted. When he does the terror AoE attack is a good time to go in, as the animation takes a while to play out. Once he's gone, you just finish off the other one exactly as before.

So! I'm at the final boss. More random thoughts.

- The final boss is a Bastard Man and I hope he doesn't get any Christmas presents this year.

- In all seriousness, I think they've dialed the difficulty up just a touch too high, especially with some of the later bosses. There are certain enemies who pull some seriously cheap stuff on you, including preventing your ability to heal. Every time you feel like you're getting just a little bit of power fantasy that you usually get via progressing in games, something new comes along to show you just how wrong you were. And that's fine, up to a point, but I 100% do not begrudge anyone for walking away from it all. In fact, I can definitely see a contingent of people who stick it out all the way to the end, but give up at the final boss. It's a definite difficulty spike, even with what's come before, and I'll be watching this thread eagerly.

- As I mentioned before, it is so obvious that this came from the Dark Souls 2 staff. The design of some of the later environments. repetition of certain mini-bosses/arena fights, the prominence of groups of enemies ganging up on you despite the game not really giving you the tools to manage that... it's eerie how reminiscent some of it is, despite the totally different setting and pace of the game.

- I'm still very, very fond of Sekiro, but I think there are two bad design decisions in this game. The first, and this one's actually pretty minor, is that there is no reason for Spirit Emblems to be a consumable item that you can run out of. They made the same mistake as they did in Bloodborne - it should be that it just refills whatever your maximum cap is every time you rest, and that's that. They're so cheap to buy that there isn't any point in having you run out, except for making you grind for some Sen. It's not as bad as Blood Vials were in BB, just because prosthetic use isn't as central to the game, but still. Boo. Guys, you already figured this out with Estus Flasks. Stop trying to fix what isn't broken.

- The second design decision that I actually think is much worse, but others may disagree, is that I don't think Posture recovery should be tied to health loss. It is a double punishment, and can actually make some of the later bosses nearly impossible if you're not managing your health recovery properly. In previous Souls games, you always had that feeling of even if you were down to a sliver of health, you just needed that one last hit to finish a boss off. Here, if you're nearly dead, then you're already fucked - you can't recover your posture anywhere near as fast as you need to, meaning you can't parry all the attacks that you need to, meaning you can't drain their posture, meaning you can't beat a boss. 

I'm going to keep throwing myself at the wall tonight to see the end credits roll, but man. What a weird, beautiful, infuriating game this is.

• Upvote 5

Hmm, something to look forward to then!

I've just beaten Guape first go of the evening. Was down to zero gourds and zero pellets and used all my Phantom Kunai to no avail, remembering halfway through a tip shared here about a particularly useful prosthetic I should have gone with! In any case, a long fight, fairly tense but the main enemy was simply my own impatience, waiting for the safe attacks to exploit. I'm sure it's a potentially much more interesting fight if you're brave enough to get stuck in there but I'll take the W, regardless. 

I only found out last night that guarding makes your posture recover faster. It was randomly on a load screen. Like, why isnt that mentioned at the start of the game? :facepalm:

I was having a bit of trouble on a boss in Ashina Depths (that hits quite fast) and this allowed me to beat it. Boss was

O'rin of the Water

Ahem, it's "poor" game design. :coffee:

It's a classic case of developers assuming the user already has basic knowledge of the game's systems. The worst offender is one of my most played games: Elite Dangerous. 

• Downvote 2

Oh! And I also think this might have one of the worst boss fights in Souls' history?

Spoiler

Headless.

Here's a boss where you need to use a rare consumable item every time you fight it to do any real damage. Otherwise, you can only walk through sludge around him! And all of his attacks inflict Terror even when parried, which will eventually kill you!

What's that you say? Not terrible enough to fight on land?

Now fight them at the bottom of a lake while swimming! Because that's what you come to From Software games for - boss fights that use underwater controls!

Astonishingly, head-achingly bad.

24 minutes ago, lewismistreated said:

Oh! And I also think this might have one of the worst boss fights in Souls' history?

Hide contents

Headless.

Here's a boss where you need to use a rare consumable item every time you fight it to do any real damage. Otherwise, you can only walk through sludge around him! And all of his attacks inflict Terror even when parried, which will eventually kill you!

What's that you say? Not terrible enough to fight on land?

Now fight them at the bottom of a lake while swimming! Because that's what you come to From Software games for - boss fights that use underwater controls!

Astonishingly, head-achingly bad.

Yeeeah, but the malcontent prosthetic is pretty good... I mean, you have to beat at least one of those other, similar bastards to get it, but oh boy does it work wonders.

You have to use

Pacifying Agent

in those fights, which is very fiddly to do in the middle of combat. You're effectively having to heal twice. No idea why they thought that was a good idea, especially using the default controls.

Undoubtedly my own shortcomings as a player of video games are to blame rather than the game itself but I am closing in on the end, I think, and still don't understand the combat on its entirety. I feel by this point I should be executing deflections and counters on the fly in encounters with sub-bosses, such as the guys in purple, and it's just not happening. I feel like I still have to learn to expect certain moves and how to deal with them, and practice a bunch of times before I get it down, rather than being able to respond appropriately and spontaneously based on what I've learned so far. A little dispiriting.

I still don't understand why a lot of the time Wolf ends up cowering on one knee and refusing to block or deflect, long before my posture bar has filled up to the maximum. I'd say that's what fucks me up most.

Also, in regards to the purple dudes, what is the correct encounter to their 

Spoiler

large jump? I always roll instinctively but usually their jump hones in on me regardless. Obviously the counter isn't to jump myself, but deflecting a foot doesn't make sense to me either. It's not a Mikiri counter either. What does that leave?

11 minutes ago, ann coulter said:

Undoubtedly my own shortcomings as a player of video games are to blame rather than the game itself but I am closing in on the end, I think, and still don't understand the combat on its entirety. I feel by this point I should be executing deflections and counters on the fly in encounters with sub-bosses, such as the guys in purple, and it's just not happening. I feel like I still have to learn to expect certain moves and how to deal with them, and practice a bunch of times before I get it down, rather than being able to respond appropriately and spontaneously based on what I've learned so far. A little dispiriting.

I still don't understand why a lot of the time Wolf ends up cowering on one knee and refusing to block or deflect, long before my posture bar has filled up to the maximum. I'd say that's what fucks me up most.

Also, in regards to the purple dudes, what is the correct encounter to their 

Reveal hidden contents

large jump? I always roll instinctively but usually their jump hones in on me regardless. Obviously the counter isn't to jump myself, but deflecting a foot doesn't make sense to me either.

Spoiler

I haven’t got to them yet but would a shuriken not interrupt any jump attack?

Just now, joemul said:

Hide contents

I haven’t got to them yet but would a shuriken not interrupt any jump attack?

Possibly! I feel like a bit of a cheat using the prosthetic tools in these one on one shinobi fights though. I should be able to wipe the floor with them using basic mechanics by this point.

Managed to defeat this particular two-circle purple guy finally but my god I feel like such a chump for struggling this much after having the game for more than a week.

6 minutes ago, AI1 said:

Err...how come the cost of spirit emblems in my game has doubled to 20? I'm a bit past Gen A.

Brexit

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, lewismistreated said:

The second design decision that I actually think is much worse, but others may disagree, is that I don't think Posture recovery should be tied to health loss. It is a double punishment, and can actually make some of the later bosses nearly impossible if you're not managing your health recovery properly. In previous Souls games, you always had that feeling of even if you were down to a sliver of health, you just needed that one last hit to finish a boss off. Here, if you're nearly dead, then you're already fucked - you can't recover your posture anywhere near as fast as you need to, meaning you can't parry all the attacks that you need to, meaning you can't drain their posture, meaning you can't beat a boss. 

I think they should have got rid of health full stop. You are functionally immortal, and there is no reason you should know an enemy's health. But as a skilled Shinobi you can read their posture. 

Just have what is now the health bar cause slower recovery or add chip damage that effectively shrinks it. All that matters is getting the posture damage for the kill. Health is just a distraction. 

I found GuAp! And, er, ouch.

I get the feeling you can chip away at him during the moves that take an age to recover, and it at least looks like a lot of his stuff can be safely blocked (and that grab is pretty short range), but it may take a while. :) 

E: also:

Spoiler

hook opportunities! But I've barely obtained any Prosthetic Arts skills... :hmm: 

I think the flailing/cowering thing happens when you get kicked by an enemy, regardless of your posture, and there doesn't appear to be any way out of it other than rolling/jumping, and we know how rolling usually works out in a boss fight...

On 30/03/2019 at 00:45, Stanley said:

Oh right, that's a bit obscure. Do do I need to do the 'big' boss at the top?

Who are we talking about here? Wonder if might have missed something.

Just did AW, fun fight. "Robertoooo" :lol:

Only real low point for me so far is 

Spoiler

The Headless

I hate bosses that force you into consumables.