rllmuk
Uzi

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

4 minutes ago, VN1X said:

Yesterday I saw some poor fuck on twitch dance around two apes for about 2 hours. Doing about half a centimetre of damage before going back into circle strafe mode for another 5 minutes. Essential.

Ya know I'm just being facetious but I just found it funny and absurd.

Sounds like he was playing it wrong m8. 

An interesting way to counter a review though. 

Criticising it for for relying on circle strafe, if that's what 'backwave' means , is way off the mark. That just doesn't work in Sekiro. I've met one (mini) boss where you can kind of employ that tactic, in a clear homage to Souls, but even there you need to parry and block too.

7 minutes ago, VN1X said:

Yesterday I saw some poor fuck on twitch dance around two apes for about 2 hours. Doing about half a centimetre of damage before going back into circle strafe mode for another 5 minutes. Essential.

Er yeah, that’s completely the wrong way to play it. If you spend all the battle backing off, you won’t get anywhere. You have to get stuck in and attack, dodge, jump and parry. The combat is sublime.

• Upvote 1

I think VN1X was trying to be funny, but backwave in Nioh is basically 'press guard as you are hit to push enemy off balance'. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Strafe said:

The mini boss dude you meet in the well 

Reveal hidden contents

Where you started the game

I’m sure when I first landed behind him it gave me the option to ‘talk’ but I pressed attack in fear. Obviously he battered me right after and when I went back I didn’t get the same option.

Here’s what he says:

Paraphrasing. “I am looking for a skilled warrior. Is that you? It must be you.

In other news I'm frustrated as I've run out of confetti :(

Don't read if you don't know what you use it for.. 

Spoiler

Got the shaman dude near bottomless hole, but that headless in Ashina Outskirts is a FUCK.  Sometimes I can dodge, sometimes I can't, I just don't get it.  :(:(

4 minutes ago, robdood said:

I think VN1X was trying to be funny, but backwave in Nioh is basically 'press guard as you are hit to push enemy off balance'. 

Ah right, so he's saying Sekiro is copying Nioh, I understand now.

Hide contents

Got the shaman dude near bottomless hole, but that headless in Ashina Outskirts is a FUCK.  Sometimes I can dodge, sometimes I can't, I just don't get it.  :(:(

Don't even try to dodge them, their mist can nullify your ability to dodge completely. Even though you can dispel it temporarily with repeated divine confetti strikes, it's good practice to not depend on the dodge for these fights. Hold circle to run if you need to avoid a teleport > grab, and deflect at other times.

Hit a bit of a wall with Butterfly and Bully last night.

Iiiiiin, one. Bully feels like a bit of a random fight. I veer between just getting tonked quickly and being able to stay alive and chip away for a while, but the camera really doesn't help and when I use the firecrackers I'm only able to get in a couple of hits. Fire damage just builds and builds and then I'm done. Can't seem to parry reliably at all with this one.

Butterfly I can reasonably reliably get to stage 2, but I just can't seem to stay in her face enough to keep the other stuff from happening. I think I'm trying too hard to constantly do damage and instead I need to just keep her engaged rather than trying to clock her. Balance between R1 and L1 needs to be better.

1 minute ago, Kayin Amoh said:

Hide contents

Don't even try to dodge them, their mist can nullify your ability to dodge completely. Even though you can dispel it temporarily with repeated divine confetti strikes, it's good practice to not depend on the dodge for these fights. Hold circle to run if you need to avoid a teleport > grab, and deflect at other times.

This.

It may not be the most elegant of ways of fighting, but I've been known to run around like a loon on boss fights. Helped especially with the Bully big bollocks.

9 minutes ago, robdood said:

Hide contents

Do you have 

Spoiler

The fear abnormality? You can find stuff for that in the dungeon

3 minutes ago, Kayin Amoh said:

Hide contents

It was the terror that was getting me.  Of course, having just scoured my inventory for items, I read that using pacifying agent BEFOREHAND is effective too... FFS!  I was using it reactively.. 

• Empathy 1

5 minutes ago, Kayin Amoh said:

Reveal hidden contents

You can't run for the same reason.  But as I said above, it's my own fault for not reading what pacifying agent actually does!

10 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Ah right, so he's saying Sekiro is copying Nioh, I understand now.

I'm not the one who brought up Nioh (besides there's plenty of room for both franchises?). 

Anyway I guess the community still hasn't figured out the mechanics of that fight? It looked really tough but also kind of monotonous. Very hard to find an opening in any case. 

5 minutes ago, charley farley said:

Hit a bit of a wall with Butterfly and Bully last night.

Iiiiiin, one. Bully feels like a bit of a random fight. I veer between just getting tonked quickly and being able to stay alive and chip away for a while, but the camera really doesn't help and when I use the firecrackers I'm only able to get in a couple of hits. Fire damage just builds and builds and then I'm done. Can't seem to parry reliably at all with this one.

Butterfly I can reasonably reliably get to stage 2, but I just can't seem to stay in her face enough to keep the other stuff from happening. I think I'm trying too hard to constantly do damage and instead I need to just keep her engaged rather than trying to clock her. Balance between R1 and L1 needs to be better.

re: Bully

Spoiler

Don't worry about the health, just concentrate on breaking posture.  Deflects are tricky to time, but while learning, just stand your ground and block!  Listen for the sounds and use them to help you learn the deflect timings.  If you're close to him, he'll chill out on the running around, doing three/four hit combos you can quite easily deflect with a bit of practice!

• Upvote 1

It was the terror that was getting me.  Of course, having just scoured my inventory for items, I read that using pacifying agent BEFOREHAND is effective too... FFS!  I was using it reactively.. 

TBH, I think the essential item is

The Mottled Purple Gourd, which is similar to your health Gourd (so replenishes on rest) and specifically reduces terror build up.

7 minutes ago, VN1X said:

I'm not the one who brought up Nioh (besides there's plenty of room for both franchises?). 

Anyway I guess the community still hasn't figured out the mechanics of that fight? It looked really tough but also kind of monotonous. Very hard to find an opening in any case. 

Well who did bring Nioh up? I don't know which fight you're referring to but I haven't found Sekiro monotonous, and there's usually always several ways to approach an encounter.

Why even bring Nioh up? This thread had been excellent until VN1X's silly backwave post.

Can we get back to discussing the game, please? 

I still haven't done the headless dude yet, and have found at least one other mini-boss that used Terror. I've avoided for the time being. 

25 minutes ago, VN1X said:

Which fight is it?

1 hour ago, VN1X said:

He's doing it wrong. It's all about getting up in the enemy grill. 

As for 'Bully', I found him to be not very hard once you realise he's just very startling and unsettling with his speed and ferocity. Focus on the fundamentals, (and try to get into a corner so he can't run about), and you'll have him in no time.

It's definitely an annoying fight. 

• Upvote 2

WTF I've just noticed I still am missing a prosthetic on the upgrade screen!! I thought I had them ALL!!   Hmmm. 

In other news, I had a vague memory of the bushido guys / weird ladies in Ashina castle dropping confetti AND THEY BLOODY DO.  Dead pleased, just spent a conference call farming.

I have to say, I'm loving that first ninjitsu.  It's expensive to use, but so good for stealthing pairs of enemies :wub:

• Upvote 2

For Bully

The way I managed it is approach it like you're a matador. If you put distance between you he'll charge and just as he gets to you he'll dip his head and the parry is on the upswing.

Once you parry you'll get a second to sprint to his arse and you'll get a few hits off. Then sprint to the otherside of the room and repeat. When you get to phase 2 use firecrackers and it shouldn't take more than one flurry of blows.

[/spoiler]

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, deerokus said:

As for 'Bully', I found him to be not very hard once you realise he's just very startling and unsettling with his speed and ferocity. Focus on the fundamentals, (and try to get into a corner so he can't run about), and you'll have him in no time.

Absolutely this.  I got him in the smaller area at the far end of the arena and basically souls'ed him to death without using block or deflection - dodge once or twice towards his back leg, couple of attacks, back to neutral. The upgraded firecracker is a little easier to use in this area too.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Why even bring Nioh up? This thread had been excellent until VN1X's silly backwave post.

Can we get back to discussing the game, please? 

I still haven't done the headless dude yet, and have found at least one other mini-boss that used Terror. I've avoided for the time being. 

But my question still stands good sir. Any suggestions for a thread title? The one at the other place was really good I thought. Surely us Mukkers are capable of something even better? 

• Downvote 3

16 minutes ago, VN1X said:

But my question still stands good sir. Any suggestions for a thread title? The one at the other place was really good I thought. Surely us Mukkers are capable of something even better? 

We're more interested in discussing the game, I suppose.

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

The fella at the top of the castle is proving to be a challenge as I just can't break his posture down quickly enough nor can I get a hit in without him smacking me around the arena.

25 minutes ago, VN1X said:

Why? Just because you have the power to do so doesn't mean you should.

Beat AW last night, not even seen boss at top of castle yet. Got another prosthetic too, as well as another(!) skill tree!

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, VN1X said:

Well...

11 minutes ago, Stanley said:

We're more interested in discussing the game, I suppose.

This^. :coffee:

@VN1X You've really stunk the thread up this morning.