rllmuk
Uzi

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

5 minutes ago, BadgerFarmer said:

Sorry, I was thinking flamethrower not firecrackers. But anyway the axe is around the same area you find the flamethrower.

Firecrackers

Hide contents

post horseman. Buy off a merchant. Although I think some people found them earlier?

I already had the firecrackers by that point. Don't remember where exactly I found them, somewhere before Jeru the Damaja, but I used them on horsey.

Do you know where that one spearman is. The difficult one that acts like a sub boss? At the bridge prior to him and his cronies, go for a swim.

That most honorable of shinobi hunters...

...is no more. :D

He was a worthy foe.

Thanks for the tips @Fallows. Just goes to show in these games that knowledge of the combat systems and training your muscle memory is worth more than any number of power ups or whatever. Sometimes, you don't need to acquire attack boosts or HP increases or cheat codes. You just need a healthy dose of git gud.

27 minutes ago, ann coulter said:

:o I didn't even realise the kanji changed depending on the type of strong attack. Of course!

The symbol for thrust, sweep and grab attacks is the same if that's what you mean - its the kanji for "danger" on all of them. It's up to the player to figure out the attack type from the animation being telegraphed.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, BadgerFarmer said:

I don't think I've met the 2 spear guys I've seen a few people mention. Have I missed a bit?

After meeting your father, you go to the next section and go to the right though the cave

There’s also a path on the left down to the spear guys

4 minutes ago, Sie said:

The symbol for thrust, sweep and grab attacks is the same if that's what you mean - its the kanji for "danger" on all of them. It's up to the player to figure out the attack type from the animation being telegraphed.

That’s what I thought, but @robdood reckons different symbols pop up. I haven’t had chance to take a look myself yet, but it’d be good if he’s right.

37 minutes ago, Fargo said:

I'm stuck in two different areas. One with the guy on horseback guarding the gate, the Shinobi hunter is the other. Any suggestions as to who I should focus on first? 

I did the Hirata Estate first but you can do either.

For the Shinobi Hunter you just need to use the Mikiri Counter move when you see the red kanji flash up. Just mash circle without moving and you should be able to pull it off reliably after a while. The window for success is quite large. I find it works more reliably for me if I push forward at the same time as hitting circle but the move doesn’t technically require it.

Guy on horseback is fairly easy as long as you have the Grappling Hook Attack and the Firecracker. Whenever you see the green symbol above his head use your grappling hook to leap across to him and get some hits in. Deflect his spear attacks and then use the firecracker to startle his horse and get some more hits in. His posture bar will be maxed out in no time.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, BadgerFarmer said:

I did that boss without the grappling hook attack or firecracker. No wonder it took so long.

Yeah I just blocked him and then hit him when I got the chance. 

17 minutes ago, JPL said:

That’s what I thought, but @robdood reckons different symbols pop up. I haven’t had chance to take a look myself yet, but it’d be good if he’s right.

I already checked as I had the same idea initially. But nope, it is 100% the same symbol on every perilous attack type. It simply says "Danger".

danger.PNG.1e18de5559ebfbe15f95164fbc49543e.PNG

Screencapped from in-game in the spoiler.

Thrust

thrust.PNG.d204bc026b602db7d8302749096c4a7f.PNG

Sweep

sweep.PNG.2344e9ee81a531b71f16831788c7d4f8.PNG

Grab

grab.PNG.a9f5a459b236332b1024158e74d08ee6.PNG

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

LB = parry

B with a direction = dodge

B neutral = counter red kanji thrust attacks - destroys pole guys

Note that it's impossible to LB parry red kanji thrusts anyway, so your only options are dodge or counter once you have that Mirikiri move unlocked. The timing on Mirikuri counters is incredibly lenient and easy. Practice the move with the trainer zombie.

Er dude, this is so wrong. 

You can't guard thrust attacks (by holding L1) you can normal parry tho. 

• Upvote 3

I spent about 20 minutes trying to do the B-parry thing on the shinobi hunter guy, it works but he just shrugs it off and then kills you with his shinobi magnet :(

Edit - I just kept doing it and eventually I had a deathblow opportunity. Take that you little dickhead! Onto the next one...

Ha, sorry for the confusion on the danger symbol! I could have sworn I'd seen different ones when practicing with our undead mate. /embarrassed 

The health-at-deathblow skill is soooo good. Eases up the tension a bit. 

Also did some exploring...

Spoiler

At the estate I found a walljump corridor leading to the pagoda that the thief/merchant mentioned. Only to get slaughtered by a purple shinobi. The hell. 

11 minutes ago, Moz said:

I spent about 20 minutes trying to do the B-parry thing on the shinobi hunter guy, it works but he just shrugs it off and then kills you with his shinobi magnet :(

Do you follow up with a few hits after that?

he should be toast pretty quick

got him in 2 counters with the mikiri

12 minutes ago, robdood said:

Ha, sorry for the confusion on the danger symbol! I could have sworn I'd seen different ones when practicing with our undead mate. /embarrassed 

Just like David Copperfield...

30 minutes ago, Sie said:

I already checked as I had the same idea initially. But nope, it is 100% the same symbol on every perilous attack type. It simply says "Danger".

danger.PNG.1e18de5559ebfbe15f95164fbc49543e.PNG

Screencapped from in-game in the spoiler.

Hide contents

Thrust

thrust.PNG.d204bc026b602db7d8302749096c4a7f.PNG

Sweep

sweep.PNG.2344e9ee81a531b71f16831788c7d4f8.PNG

Grab

grab.PNG.a9f5a459b236332b1024158e74d08ee6.PNG

Yeah, it's going a bit far even for From to expect us all to learn Japanese. They probably thought about it though.

After you meet your Dad, get the item and the fire picks up, I fell down into the river because Sekiro slid off the roof of the little hut as he landed on it and I didn't get the prompt to grapple to the next one or the one I'd just fallen off. I went all the way back round to the forecourt where you meet your Dad again, but it's consumed in flame and I can't grapple up the the building in order to grapple across the huts. What am I supposed to do now? :(

25 minutes ago, ronin said:

Do you follow up with a few hits after that?

he should be toast pretty quick

got him in 2 counters with the mikiri

Naw I just let him swing a few times and then countered again. Him shrugging off the counter was throwing me, it seemed to be telling me not to do that and do something else. Turns out you just have to do it three times and pay attention to the posture bar which is fair enough.

4 minutes ago, Moz said:

After you meet your Dad, get the item and the fire picks up, I fell down into the river because Sekiro slid off the roof of the little hut as he landed on it and I didn't get the prompt to grapple to the next one or the one I'd just fallen off. I went all the way back round to the forecourt where you meet your Dad again, but it's consumed in flame and I can't grapple up the the building in order to grapple across the huts. What am I supposed to do now? :(

I'm just revisiting that bit. You can go through the entrance and then grapple the tree. From there you can grapple the tall building.

Also, weird thing I didnt initially realise about the Prosthetics. When you upgrade one - say, for example, the Shuriken - you actually have to equip the upgraded version in your inventory in place of the non-upgraded one. Which seems weird, as it looks like you have access to all the same movesets that the older version had anyway...

• Upvote 4

Things really open up after the bull but all the paths seem like a real step up in difficulty. Says something when Lady B seems like the least stressful option right now.

• Empathy 1