rllmuk
Uzi

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

2 minutes ago, Goemon said:

I just got to another guy and the same thing happens. Can’t kill him unless I fight him.

I’m totally fine to fight a boss in an arena. Put me and the boss in an enclosed place, no where to run or hide and the fight makes sense.  But making the game so I can go and hide from the guy watch him go back to passive, stab him in the back 4 times and him NOT die because the game “wants me to stand and fight him” is nonsense.

It’s early days so I’m going to keep on but this forced combat in a stealth environment is not great.

This sounds ridiculous. I'm sure you must be missing something. 

Pretty poor effort that the X1X performs worse than the PS4, although amusing after a few posts on here saying FROM where absolutely an XBox developer, and not prioritising PS development.

I also cannot get the timing of the parry/deflect right, after LITERALLY hours of practice with the training dude. I had to swap it to LT on the Bone pad (and attack on RT) as using the bumpers so much isn’t a comfortable hand fit for me on the Bone.

As a result the extra travel on the triggers combined with what appears to be significant game/TV lag is making the timings ridiculously difficult. Doing the triple-deflect move you need to learn is fucking impossible, can’t close-open-close LT fast enough.

And then there’s the unblockable attacks. There are two different ones, both preceded by an identical kanji symbol. Each requiring a different button press or you get thumped. The only visual cue is the wind-up animation of the attack. It’s like the worlds fastest QTE. And you never know when it’s coming.

The world is lovely, but I think this will be in the trading folder by Sunday. :lol:

This really does look magnificent from the streams today. Areas that we didn't see in the previews look incredible, it's so atmospheric and detailed, the production values are definitely higher than we'd expect for a FROM game. There's also plenty of truly weird and disturbing stuff early-ish on that I wasn't expecting, it seems to be slowly introducing an element of the bizarre and twisted as the game opens up. I saw some creepy as hell NPCs and nightmarish enemies. 

• Upvote 1

This feels much more purely built around the combat system than Dark Souls. I've beaten two big-ish miniboss-type enemies, and just like in DS where you could play through it using a shield, then have a revelation that a no-block, dodge-based approach was possible, one of them I beat fairly easily just using DS/Bborne-style dodging and whittling them down, but the other one properly necessitates getting to grips with the deflect and I couldn't win without it (was satisfying and enjoyable to learn it though).

Incredibly reminiscent of Nioh in terms of looks (predictably?)

It lets you go around most of the biggies if you want to.
EDIT - Also, worth saying that vs big lads you can either beat them by chipping their health down OR by maxing out their balance thing, which then lets you stab them up.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

120Hz is only available at 1080p though!

Mental! I’ll give both options a try then and see which I prefer.

Loving the exploration. Even this early i've found a couple of "Fuck that!" :o areas where i immediately Homeward Boned it outta there. 

I'm feeling better with the button layout. But i'm still mashing too much. I'll blame Nioh Low Stance Katana...for now. :blush:

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, jonamok said:

And then there’s the unblockable attacks. There are two different ones, both preceded by an identical kanji symbol. Each requiring a different button press or you get thumped. The only visual cue is the wind-up animation of the attack. It’s like the worlds fastest QTE. And you never know when it’s coming.

The world is lovely, but I think this will be in the trading folder by Sunday. :lol:

The main issue I have with this is that it puts up the kanji whether you’re going to be hit or not.

I guess you just have to get used to it, but at the minute when I see a giant red kanji on screen I just automatically think I’m in immediate danger, when half the time I’m not.

Regarding the 120hz thing. If you have a HDR TV, and want HDR, don't turn on 120hz. You can't have both due, apparently, to the current limitations of HDMI.

120hz will only work at 1080p, or 1440p. So if you have a big 4kTV and want that 1800p goodness on your One X, again you can't have 120hz. 

The 120hz thing is a bit of a joke really, and I have to wonder if DF were trolling with that. But given EG have in the past shown they know absolutely fuck all about what good HDR looks like, I shouldn't be surprised. 

So if you have a PS4 Pro, buy the PS4 version, because that is the best version of the game currently. Just as I suggested earlier this week. :coffee:

That's not to say FROM can't do more work on it to patch it properly for the One X. Personally I'd like a locked and proper frame-paced 30fps at 1800p, I see no reason the One X can't do that.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

Regarding the 120hz thing. If you have a HDR TV, and want HDR, don't turn on 120hz. You can't have both due, apparently, to the current limitations of HDMI.

120hz will only work at 1080p, or 1440p. So if you have a big 4kTV and want that 1800p goodness on your One X, again you can't have 120hz. 

The 120hz thing is a bit of a joke really, and I have to wonder if DF were trolling with that. But given EG have in the past shown they know absolutely fuck all about what good HDR looks like, I shouldn't be surprised. 

So if you have a PS4 Pro, buy the PS4 version, because that is the best version of the game currently. Just as I suggested earlier this week. :coffee:

That's not to say FROM can't do more work on it to patch it properly for the One X. Personally I'd like a locked and proper frame-paced 30fps at 1800p, I see no reason the One X can't do that.

Is it better than the PC version? 

1 minute ago, Talk Show Host said:

Is it better than the PC version? 

Subjectively, yes. ;) 

On consoles you don't have to go fucking about with drivers for your graphics cards and the like, you just put the game on, and it fucking works. :)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3
  • Empathy 2

Fuck me, this is £60 on the PSN store. FUCK THAT! I'll pick it up from a shop tomorrow. Probably a safer bet anyway given what I've read about the stealth mechanics being broken. 

• Downvote 2

10 minutes ago, Thor said:

Ah well, I’ll stick to the higher res mode on my X then. Plus I get to play with the best controller.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Thor said:

Subjectively, yes. ;) 

On consoles you don't have to go fucking about with drivers for your graphics cards and the like, you just put the game on, and it fucking works. :)

That's old stuff. Sekiro doesn't look any kind of advanced graphics wise, so if you can hit 1080p@60 that would be much better than the unlock frame rate shit in the consoles. Minus the HDR of course. 

I hope for some PC impressions from some good people here. 

God I wish I was excited for this, I really do. I've finished all three Dark Souls, the DLC on 1 and 3, platinumed Bloodborne and DLC and have loved every minute. The wait for BB especially was excruciating. But the Ninja/Samurai/whatever theme has just never appealed to me in the slightest.

Ive watched so many videos and so many aspects look to improve on what From's previous titles have done, yet all I find myself thinking is "imagine a new Bloodborne with that speed and world traversal". 

I can't be the only one I'm sure, but it feels like I stand alone thinking "Ninjas.... meh". 

I'm hoping I can get a chance to play it before just buying it in the hope this feeling fades and I spend every waking hour consumed by thoughts of the game as I have in the past (please forgive me for saying it, but I'm even considering pirating it to see if I can get past my lack of interest in the theme, then skip merrily to the nearest store to buy it :unsure: Not words I ever thought I'd say about a From title). Perhaps I've just been spoiled by pure excellence and I can't imagine not being part of the early days of discovery and excitement. 

What's wrong with me? Convince me otherwise rllmuk hivemind! :(

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

9 minutes ago, Thor said:

Subjectively, yes. ;) 

Do you live in 1998?

• Upvote 4

Yay!

My PC version is finally pre-loading so hopefully I'll be able to squeeze in a quick half hour after midnight. 

Unless it is one of those really irritating Steam games that unlock at six in the afternoon in order to ensure that we don't play the game before the US.

I came in here a few weeks ago saying I couldn't decide between this and Day's Gone. People found it funny. After reading today's reviews of Sekiro I think I'm even closer to choosing Day's Gone over this now :unsure:

• Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, Mike S said:

Yay!

My PC version is finally pre-loading so hopefully I'll be able to squeeze in a quick half hour after midnight. 

Unless it is one of those really irritating Steam games that unlock at six in the afternoon in order to ensure that we don't play the game before the US.

It says "This game will unlock in approximately 20 hours" on my store page so I wouldn't count on a midnight release, unfortunately.

25 minutes ago, FozZ said:

God I wish I was excited for this, I really do. I've finished all three Darks Souls, the DLC on 1 and 3, platinumed Bloodborne and DLC and have loved every minute. The wait for BB especially was excruciating. But the Ninja/Samurai/whatever theme has just never appealed to me in the slightest.

Ive watched so many videos and so many aspects look to improve on what From's previous titles have done, yet all I find myself thinking is "imagine a new Bloodborne with that speed and world traversal". 

I can't be the only one I'm sure, but it feels like I stand alone thinking "Ninjas.... meh". 

I'm hoping I can get a chance to play it before just buying it in the hope this feeling fades and I spend every waking hour consumed by thoughts of the game as I have in the past (please forgive me for saying it, but I'm even considering pirating it to see if I can get past my lack of interest in the theme, then skip merrily to the nearest store to buy it :unsure: Not words I ever thought I'd say about a From title). Perhaps I've just been spoiled by pure excellence and I can't imagine not being part of the early days of discovery and excitement. 

What would you say to someone who loved DS but hadn’t bothered with BB because they found Gothic Horror...meh?

Just now, Crhis said:

It says "This game will unlock in approximately 20 hours" on my store page so I wouldn't count on a midnight release, unfortunately.

FFS.

This unlock at 08:00 PST type nonsense is proper bullshit to the rest of the world. As that's the case, I guess I'll not be playing till Saturday now as I'm out tomorrow day and evening but at least I get an early night...

WORST GAME EVA!

• Upvote 1

Are people playing in Japanese or American? I've gone Japanese personally as American doesn't seem right. I've only played the very first intro section so not much to comment on yet except the reflect/parry seems to be generous compared to souls, more like the BB parry though it could just be the very easy starter enemies making it seem that way.

29 minutes ago, Mike S said:

Yay!

This game will unlock in approximately 20 hours

Fuck off Steam. If Epic want to compete genuinely with Steam, make all games release at midnight and I'll swap over (I'm only half joking :D)

Edit:

To unlock the game early via VPN:

1) Log out of the Steam mobile app and change (not to be confused with reset) your password via the the desktop client
2) Download and install F-Secure Freedome (no hard limits, but the trial period expires after five days), FlyVPN (20-minute session limit), ProtonVPN (speed-limited), TunnelBear (500MB data limit), VPN Gate (no hard limits) or VyprVPN (no hard limits, but remember to cancel within 72 hours)
3) Connect to a server in Asia (excluding South-east Asia)
4) Restart Steam (if you're logged in)
5) Unlock the game
6, optional) Switch to Offline Mode to preserve the "Play" button as it will revert back to "Pre-load" once you're no longer connected to the VPN (even if you disconnect mid-game, you won't be booted out)

Although it seems that doesn't work yet. "The game unlocks as it should, but until From updates the binaries depot with the actual data, nobody can play it."

For anyone after a cheap(ish) digital copy, I got a $50 USA PSN code for £32.97 on g2a.com. It seems like some kind of weird auction system but the code worked and it was through Paypal so protected...

The US version is $59.99. Buying $10 seems quite a bit more expensive but even at £7-8 it's £40 all in compared to £60 on the UK store.

39 minutes ago, FozZ said:

God I wish I was excited for this, I really do. I've finished all three Darks Souls, the DLC on 1 and 3, platinumed Bloodborne and DLC and have loved every minute. The wait for BB especially was excruciating. But the Ninja/Samurai/whatever theme has just never appealed to me in the slightest.

I think your right. Iv been watching Dans Gaming stream this just now and it doesn’t look particularly amazing, if you love the setting it would appeal more but I’m opting out on this one. Some of the first impressions suggest it’s a bit of a mess

7 minutes ago, Goemon said:

What would you say to someone who loved DS but hadn’t bothered with BB because they found Gothic Horror...meh?

I guess I'd wonder if there was really that much difference between the theme of DS and BB, and then ask if they'd played BB and loved it despite their disinterest in the visual themes.

So very much the same questions I have now about Sekiro.

I think the differences are greater though. Its not just a visual thing though. Generally I'm put off this sort of theme for other reasons. It's a "world" I have little to no familiarity with, it's names I can't pronounce let alone remember, it's story telling that relies on an understanding of values/beliefs/history vastly different to a western perspective (I'm talking more broadly here, be it games, films, anime, etc). Maybe that would add to the mystery, maybe what's been shown so far isn't fair to make any assumptions from.

I dunno, I still feel like if everything (environment wise especially) just looks like what you'd expect to see in any samurai movie, I just won't ever care about exploring that world.