Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

5 minutes ago, Number 28 said:

His throws are total bullshit. You think you're clear but you get magically sucked into his arms. It's definitely best to get the stealth deathblow. Also,

Reveal hidden contents

visit Hirata first! :ph34r:

I already did. I've got everything I need, I even ground a bit to get a few extra abilities, but he's still getting the best of me. And I'm almost out of paper spirit charms as well. But as I always say: "Giving up is giving in." So, I'll have a few more goes.

Or not. But I wouldn't care if that'd be the end of Sekiro for me. It's good that some games make you work hard for your gains. Although this is edging it I think. 

EDIT: ... and just like that, he was gone

Spoiler

1587136725444?e=1613001600&v=beta&t=syph

Nothing like the feeling of beating a boss in a From game of course. Oh, From you magnificent bastards!

Just now, Jamie John said:

@Keyboard Koala - are you using 

Reveal hidden contents

fire 

against him? It stuns him, which will allow you to get some hits in.

I was, but in the end I deemed the effect not worth the hassle instead of learning to dodge and mount the bastard with your hook (btw thanks for making it entirely obvious you could do that, From). The minute I sussed that, I beat him on my third go. Still tense as hell though.

I got at least as far as the bull when I first played this, but drifted away for some reason. I've since bought it for the PC, and while I've only got as far as the third idol so far I'm finding things so much easier this time around. I think it might genuinely be the framerate, as while I used to find deflecting a bit hit and miss on the One X, I'm hitting far more than I miss on PC. 

That first guy you meet with two health bars used to give me all sorts of trouble, and while he wasn't exactly a pushover this time I still beat him on my first attempt. :D Bring on the actually tough enemies I guess...

Hmm, they upped the frames to 60 on PS5 and SX and I am still total dogshit at this game so not sure your theory holds water. 

Seriously, this was just too damn punishing for me. I'm a Souls veteran but the parrying/stealth approach just left me floundering. Will give it another go one day. 

I also noticed that when you play Sekiro you shouldn't play other games with intricate gameplay mechanics, as you lose your edge when returning to Sekiro.

I was playing this alongside Ni-Oh and it became confusing to say the least. Once you get the hang of one game it seems you lost it in the other, so I just focussed on one instead.

I reached the poison spitting boss last night, but I was too groggy at 1am to deal with him. Things were going great up til then though, with that spear guy beyond the bridge falling on my first attempt. He caused me so much trouble the last time I played this, but now it seems I can get the mikiri counter timing spot on. I'm having a blast to be honest. :D

I'm still making good progress with this. Yamauchi went down without too much effort, which gave me the prayer beads to increase my health and posture. Then the horse guy went down in a single attempt, which allowed me to increase my attack power. I was on a high after this, so went back to face Juzou and finally took him out too. :D

I genuinely think playing at 60fps has made a massive difference for me when judging deflections. Either that or something's just clicked this time around. I got a little further on the One X than I am right now, but I spent a lot longer getting there.

Well, after that high it seems I'm at the same wall I reached last time around, although it seems more scalable this time.

One route takes me to Lady Butterfly, who I can get a fair way down her second health bar quite consistently but it feels like I should come back when I'm stronger. The other takes me to the Blazing Bull, who's a bit of a panic trap. I've realised I can actually deflect some of its attacks without losing much health, which is handy in a pinch, but it's a hard fight to stay focussed on.

I'll get there. :D

46 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

There's a BLAZINGLY useful prosthetic you can use in the bull fight which makes it a lot easier :sherlock:

If it's what I'm thinking of, I assumed it wouldn't work due to, well, the blaze. :blush: 

Thanks though, I'll try that later.

On 05/01/2021 at 21:22, squirtle said:

I don't mind hard. I'm just not sure it's fun. 

Have you killed MB yet? It took me a long time to get this game, much longer than the other From games. It's bastard hard but it's incredibly rewarding, especially some of the boss fights. 

13 minutes ago, Lovelyman said:

Have you killed MB yet? It took me a long time to get this game, much longer than the other From games. It's bastard hard but it's incredibly rewarding, especially some of the boss fights. 

Not yet. Because why have one health bar when you can have two and loads of bastard ghosts suddenly appearing? This is what I mean by not fun. Make the fucking fight fair. 

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

There's a BLAZINGLY useful prosthetic you can use in the bull fight which makes it a lot easier :sherlock:

Don't you mean a CRACKING useful prosphetic?

@squirtleI struggled with MB and went back to her later after exhausting the different routes and getting the gourd upgrades. The Nightjar Slash combat art is particularly effective against her. Wrecks her posture. The ghosts are bullshit though. Snapseeds are incredibly rare at that point so I just run in circles till they disappear.

Just now, Number 28 said:

Don't you mean a CRACKING useful prosphetic?

@squirtleI struggled with MB and went back to her later after exhausting the different routes and getting the gourd upgrades. The Nightjar Slash combat art is particularly effective against her. The ghosts are bullshit though. Snapseeds are incredibly rare at that point so I just run in circles till they disappear.

And that's what I mean. It's not fun or enjoyable.  It's like The Capra Demon amped up to 100. 

Also, as for the stealth stuff, the game teaches you stealth at the very beginning, then gives you a sword and immediately puts a load of unavoidable guards in your way ending with an unavoidable two health point opponent. This is not teaching you to stealth round opponents, but to go through them. This is why I'm not looking for stealth routes around enemies. 

@squirtle

I found it incredibly infuriating until the penultimate (optional) boss and the final final boss, and I basically had to learn how it wanted me to play. At that point, all of the fucking bullshit from the previous twenty/thirty hours dissolved into nothing and I experienced two of the greatest ever boss fights and one of the greatest ever combat systems.

Replaying it, I'm romping through because my parry timing and approach is much more finely tuned, but it is extremely prescriptive how it needs to be played, and it is doesn't really teach you how to be successful. Not suggesting this is true of you but it took me a long time to accept that enemy health bars generally don't mean shit. It's all about rhythmic pressure and gambling your own poise level to tip them over the edge.

It's all about bullying fuck out of everyone you fight, but it does feel quite backwards. Aggressive parries and defensive attacks to buy yourself some time. If you you run round trying to chip away health and learn when to dodge, etc, you're going to get fucked. Take the fight to them to reduce their attacking options. When their poise bar starts filling up, don't let go. Gegenpressing, basically. 

I don't really understand the complaints. It teaches you both stealth and attacking head-on, the lets you do either depending on your preference/skill level? Stealth is most often a lot easier.

As for the intro, check the first 2 minutes of this. ;)

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Marlew said:

I experienced two of the greatest ever boss fights

For me, the greatest ever boss fight is one I can quickly cheese and get on with the rest of the game. Bosses are just a pain in the arse and the least fun bits of FROM games for me. Sadly the absence of boss cheesing/ summoning meant I never got past Genichiro in Sekiro. 

@jonamok Generally, I would agree with you. My favourite stuff in Souls games is the nervous exploration and 'puzzle solving' elements of working out how to cut through different areas. In Sekiro, that's sometimes fun but more often quite frustrating. It teaches you to use stealth techniques and then regularly says fuck off here's another corridor where you have to engage and be spotted.

A lot of the bosses were fucking annoying, as well. 

That said, Gen, OF and SSI were absolutely incredible once I'd just about mastered them. As intense if not more so than anything in Bloodborne. They require almost complete mastery and that's why they were so satisfying. Very very prescriptive, though, and ultimately it's a much more limited game. It's very satisfying when you execute what it wants, though. 

Apologies I've run out of descriptors, I'm fucking knackered. 

10 hours ago, squirtle said:

And that's what I mean. It's not fun or enjoyable.  It's like The Capra Demon amped up to 100. 

Also, as for the stealth stuff, the game teaches you stealth at the very beginning, then gives you a sword and immediately puts a load of unavoidable guards in your way ending with an unavoidable two health point opponent. This is not teaching you to stealth round opponents, but to go through them. This is why I'm not looking for stealth routes around enemies. 

That two health point opponent becomes a one health point opponent if you use stealth. :D

10 hours ago, jonamok said:

For me, the greatest ever boss fight is one I can quickly cheese and get on with the rest of the game. Bosses are just a pain in the arse and the least fun bits of FROM games for me. Sadly the absence of boss cheesing/ summoning meant I never got past Genichiro in Sekiro. 

The Genechiro cheese is to wait for him to do his “bow shot, roll, slash” combo, block it all and then hit him in the leg... and then just keep doing that. Ahem.

The bull is no more. :D

I actually thought you guys were referring to a different prosthetic to start with, but then I got my hands on another. A cracking upgrade indeed.

There goes Yamauchi and Lady Butterfly. :D

The first of those two took me a lot of attempts, but every time I got the Souls feeling that it was definitely doable. Lady Butterfly seemed insurmountable on my first attempt at the game, especially her second phase, but this time I never got that impression. By the time I beat her, I was taking out her first health bar in seconds.

I did some exploring too, and found a horrible place I'll definitely be leaving until later.

I've found it a little curious that while Sekiro is probably the trickiest of From's Soulslike games, it's also probably the least obtuse. You have some options for your build, but not your basic style of play. The options you do have are very clearly described, with no need to figure out what attributes affect what. There are times when you're literally given advice in text, like the time I was advised to maybe come back to a fight later after gaining new skills. There's still plenty it expects you to figure out for yourself, but it's nice to have a bit of guidance.

10 minutes ago, Number 28 said:

Did you reach the top of the castle? :ph34r:

Yes. The fight with the old guy was perhaps the best fight so far because it felt fair. Then I just got destroyed at the top of the castle.