Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

33 minutes ago, df0 said:

There's nonsense in this game that should have been left on the cutting room floor. Who's idea was it to give a 50 feet tall 30 feet wide flaming whirlwind of an opponent you have to fight toe-to-toe a devastating dash you have to react to in as fraction of a second. Due to the nature of the fight and how clumsily it works (again, 50 feet fall opponent you can to fight toe-to-toe. Surely you can imagine how the camera deals with all of this. Spoilers: spiny legs and hairy balls covered in flames right front and centre) I am not sure where he's facing and where I am in relation to him.

Everything else is dead easy. The carpet bomb, the fireballs, the whatever he has in his arsenal: dealt with. Sure I get hit once or twice but I rarely die to em. It's the dash that gets me almost every time. And when it does not I can not figure out why it did not hit me.

This game. It fluctuates between greatness and absolute trash because of daft design choices.

IIRC, to counter the leap attack you have to jump forward and to the right. Apart from that, the fire umbrella is definitely your best friend for this fight - you can stay underneath him each time he jumps directly up and then counter him right in the nut sack :sherlock:

It's the optional challenge boss, however, so if it's giving you too much grief then move on to the big finale. You're going to need all of your sanity for that duel as it is!

Take that you complete hateful cunt. The victory fight was a complete mess: 10 gourds, 3 pellets, 1 divine, 1 rice, 1 baby (replenishes 1 res). I treated it as a practice fight as soon as it went south (4 gourds and 3 pellets in first phase lol) but from there things went rather well. No healing needed in second phase, third phase... oh boi.

Regardless of what happens, I'll never recommend this game to anyone. It lacks finesse and thought, what it does have plenty of is poor decisions. There's times where it feels like a C team and Ubisoft wanted their shot at "one of those difficult Souls games people like so much but we can not do castles and gothic" and came up with this. What's the point of an enemy having 2 health bars when 80% of the time you can remove 1 with a stealth deathblow. Why not give the enemy 1 health bar? Give bosses 2 because it's a boss whatever. I also absolutely hate this artificial increase in difficulty by introducing multiple phases. The last boss has 4. Why? The entire fight is tedious and dull, it's barely worth 2 phases. It was neat on Butterly and Ape because the second phase was unexpected and an unwelcome surprise. Fun!

For me, this is From's weakest output by a country mile. And not because it's difficult, but because it has more bullshit than the entire Soulsborne series combined.

• 5 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, squirtle said:

I've no idea how Dragon rot works or what it means. I'm rubbish at parrying, but I have fought my way through the first two generals and the giant. I got killed by a giant flying snake so I guess I need to kill this dude with a spear. 

I have just started this too... If you back track a bit there’s an old woman who gives you a bell just before the ogre. Bring it to the temple and give it to the Buddha. It opens a new area for you that has a new prosthetic add on and some other bits. 

I think I’m just slightly ahead of you. I’m not sure what I think of it just yet...

1 minute ago, kris_doe said:

I have just started this too... If you back track a bit there’s an old woman who gives you a bell just before the ogre. Bring it to the temple and give it to the Buddha. It opens a new area for you that has a new prosthetic add on and some other bits. 

I think I’m just slightly ahead of you. I’m not sure what I think of it just yet...

Isn't that the memory? That's where the guy with the spear is. 

7 minutes ago, squirtle said:

Isn't that the memory? That's where the guy with the spear is. 

Yes, sorry you are right. Yeah you need to take him out. Then I went back to the area with the snake but platformed around him before it led me to the next sculpture. 

Dragon rot explanation:

Spoiler

Dragon rot kicks in after you die numerous times and it is tied to Unseen Aid which is displayed as a percentage in the menu. Unseen Aid is the chance of keeping your XP/money on death (instead of losing 50% of each). The standard base rate is 30%, but dying eventually causes it to drop. Dragon rot also makes NPCs in the area become sick and begin to cough and wheeze. Apparently if they get sick it can prevent you from progressing their plot until you heal them, but I never ran into this, probably because they don't actually do much progressing. Keep talking to Emma and you'll eventually get the means to remove dragon rot using an item at idols.

TL;DR version is, you can basically ignore it. Personally I removed dragon rot after each boss, because I'm far less likely to repeatedly die, but even then it seems pretty pointless and became more of a formality. It's rumoured that the mechanic was supposed to be a lot more punishing and all-encompassing, that NPCs could actually die, but they scaled it back late in development.

That makes sense. So the item she gives you, is that tied to the ability to get rid of it at shrines? Is there any use for that object? The dragon rot pearl or whatever it's called. 

She gives you the recovery charm, yeah. That just unlocks the option to spend a dragon's blood droplet at an idol to cure all dragon rot. I guess the Dark Souls analogy would be humanity, but there's no online, so not exactly. The item is not so rare either.

8 minutes ago, wretcherd said:

If you haven't already, I highly recommend purchasing the first skill on the lower skill tree. :)

Is that the step on thrust block? Yeah, bought, that. 

Killed the spear guy and got my fourth bead so leveled up. Then went onwards and found a burning building. Found a route around and came in the back way. Starting to feel the combat in this bit. I proper bloodborned the spear guy, dodging round his attacks and hammering him from the side. 

Really not sure I’m enjoying this... Not sure whether part of it fatigue from playing so many of these types of games back to back. Just don’t have the motivation to continue on with it. As someone mentioned previously in this thread, it really does feel like a second rate souls game. 

1 minute ago, kris_doe said:

As someone mentioned previously in this thread, it really does feel like a second rate souls game. 

:hmm:

Certain mechanics aside, it's a very different kettle of fish from the Souls games and the minute-to-minute gameplay doesn't really compare.

If it's any consolation, pretty much everyone finds it very hard going to begin with, myself included. But, if you can find a way to power through then you'll be left with an extremely rewarding game.

14 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

:hmm:

Certain mechanics aside, it's a very different kettle of fish from the Souls games and the minute-to-minute gameplay doesn't really compare.

If it's any consolation, pretty much everyone finds it very hard going to begin with, myself included. But, if you can find a way to power through then you'll be left with an extremely rewarding game.

I can appreciate it’s a very different game. I’ve powered through the first main boss (guy on the horse) and I’m at the castle now and the 3 areas I can explore are all covered by mini bosses I just can’t seem to get any damage on. It’s just deflating and I had the same deflation with bloodborne and souls game but I had the urge to continue with them.

4 hours ago, kris_doe said:

Really not sure I’m enjoying this... Not sure whether part of it fatigue from playing so many of these types of games back to back. Just don’t have the motivation to continue on with it. As someone mentioned previously in this thread, it really does feel like a second rate souls game. 

It's not really a Souls game. It started out as a Tenchu reboot. I'd like to think of it as an extremely well-polished and rock hard Tenchu game. 

19 minutes ago, Keyboard Koala said:

It's not really a Souls game. It started out as a Tenchu reboot. I'd like to think of it as an extremely well-polished and rock hard Tenchu game. 

That's how I'm treating it. I'm just trying to play it like I'm some kind of death dealing force of nature. 

11 hours ago, kris_doe said:

I can appreciate it’s a very different game. I’ve powered through the first main boss (guy on the horse) and I’m at the castle now and the 3 areas I can explore are all covered by mini bosses I just can’t seem to get any damage on. It’s just deflating and I had the same deflation with bloodborne and souls game but I had the urge to continue with them.

You're not trying to damage them, you're trying to break their poise. HP is much less important for enemies in this game. Pressure, pressure, pressure. 

Once you reach the castle you've unlocked 80% of the game. There's so many places you can go to, it's worth exploring as much as you can to pick up the gourd seeds. Don't stress about running past some of the minibosses if there's no fog wall.