Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Uzi

1 minute ago, kris_doe said:

As someone mentioned previously in this thread, it really does feel like a second rate souls game. 

:hmm:

Certain mechanics aside, it's a very different kettle of fish from the Souls games and the minute-to-minute gameplay doesn't really compare.

If it's any consolation, pretty much everyone finds it very hard going to begin with, myself included. But, if you can find a way to power through then you'll be left with an extremely rewarding game.

14 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

:hmm:

Certain mechanics aside, it's a very different kettle of fish from the Souls games and the minute-to-minute gameplay doesn't really compare.

If it's any consolation, pretty much everyone finds it very hard going to begin with, myself included. But, if you can find a way to power through then you'll be left with an extremely rewarding game.

I can appreciate it’s a very different game. I’ve powered through the first main boss (guy on the horse) and I’m at the castle now and the 3 areas I can explore are all covered by mini bosses I just can’t seem to get any damage on. It’s just deflating and I had the same deflation with bloodborne and souls game but I had the urge to continue with them.

4 hours ago, kris_doe said:

Really not sure I’m enjoying this... Not sure whether part of it fatigue from playing so many of these types of games back to back. Just don’t have the motivation to continue on with it. As someone mentioned previously in this thread, it really does feel like a second rate souls game. 

It's not really a Souls game. It started out as a Tenchu reboot. I'd like to think of it as an extremely well-polished and rock hard Tenchu game. 

19 minutes ago, Keyboard Koala said:

It's not really a Souls game. It started out as a Tenchu reboot. I'd like to think of it as an extremely well-polished and rock hard Tenchu game. 

That's how I'm treating it. I'm just trying to play it like I'm some kind of death dealing force of nature. 

11 hours ago, kris_doe said:

I can appreciate it’s a very different game. I’ve powered through the first main boss (guy on the horse) and I’m at the castle now and the 3 areas I can explore are all covered by mini bosses I just can’t seem to get any damage on. It’s just deflating and I had the same deflation with bloodborne and souls game but I had the urge to continue with them.

You're not trying to damage them, you're trying to break their poise. HP is much less important for enemies in this game. Pressure, pressure, pressure. 

Nope. L1 has a cool down so if you spam it, the game knows and you will hardly make a dint in their posture. However, it's a handy tactic simply to not get killed when you first meet a boss and you're learning their moveset, or when you're simply not sure. Eventually you evolve those spam/guess L1 taps into properly timed parries which give you a louder noise/bigger spark and sends their posture gauge shooting up.

I'm finding the mix of enemies really tricky to deal with without taking a few hits. Like you'll get archers, normal Grunts, those guys with the big swords and maybe a flame guy or two all at the same time. My mobility and ability to deal enough damage just don't seem anywhere near enough to cope with it all. It's no good parrying one guy when you then get stunned by an archer and another guy hits you from the side. The game seems to want you to play in an attack style, but then actively loads the deck against you to stop you playing it that way. 

I don't think this is any fun. So, I just killed the rampaging bull, wandered around a bit then found an area with two normal guys and two dogs, then two sumo guys with loads of snipers watching over them and other various normal guys which takes an age to clear. Then at the top of the stairs is a big guy with a spear, and of course two health bars who can take you out in two hits. So die to him and you have to go through that whole section again. How is that in any way fun? The balance on this is fucked. 

1 minute ago, squirtle said:

I don't think this is any fun. So, I just killed the rampaging bull, wandered around a bit then found an area with two normal guys and two dogs, then two sumo guys with loads of snipers watching over them and other various normal guys which takes an age to clear. Then at the top of the stairs is a big guy with a spear, and of course two health bars who can take you out in two hits. So die to him and you have to go through that whole section again. How is that in any way fun? The balance on this is fucked. 

If I'm remembering the area right, you are using the grapple hook to traverse about on the roofs, aren't you?

6 minutes ago, squirtle said:

I tried that but got seen. 

Spoiler

At the two men and dogs, go to the left tree branch and jump onto the parapet there. Drop down and stealth kill gong bashing cunt. Head right and stealth kill bow cunt. Head left of him and sneak into underneath building. Sneak outside and behind sword cunt. Keep left at all times and you should be able to scale cliffs to the left of spear cunt. Get your free backstab when he walks forward scripted.

Well, you wanna tackle them sooner or later and get what's in the nearby chest? I don't get how anything in that area takes an age to clear. They're weakling mobs that can be quickly overwhelmed with speed and R1 mashing, or for the bigger guys, pounced upon from the rooftops? Did you use your battle memory from Gyoubu Masataka Oniwa to boost your attack power?