Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

On 03/10/2020 at 11:14, Fargo said:

Just beat the Armoured bastard on the bridge after putting the game down for a few months. So exhilarating! Onwards, I’m determined to finish this game 8-)

Sadly last year I got to the very end of it but it was just too much. 

The final boss is hard, but even harder is the loading and running back to start again every time, it just wore me down.

It sounds (reads as) petty when I say this, but after you die the combined reloading, running back and skipping the cutscene took 60 odd seconds per retry, and it just sapped all of my energy in the end. Time after time and in the end it just became too much.

For shame it's the only From Software game of its type I haven't completed. I'd love to finish it and go back to the start on NG+1 and replay it.

15 hours ago, Number 28 said:

No way is it 60 seconds from death to reloading, running up the stairs and skipping the cutscene. :ph34r: Get back in there man, you can do it! The first two parts are easy.

Alright, 50 seconds :)

This looks pretty amazing.

And yeah, hopefully @englishbobwill be able to take advantage of faster next gen loading to finish off Sekiro. I played it on PC and PS4, and the PC loads quite a bit faster.

I've finished it many times, but I still look at Demon of Hatred as a huge mental stumbling block.

10 hours ago, englishbob said:

Alright, 50 seconds :)

I played through it on PS4 then PC...the latter must've completely overwritten the memory of the former because that loading screen seems crazy long to me.

I cheesed DoH off the cliff. No regrets. It just didn't look like a fun at all, spending ages learning the moves that can devastate you in seconds.

22 hours ago, Jamie John said:

The fire-retardant umbrella makes the DoH pretty trivial. Without wanting to sound like I'm bragging, I got him on the third try using it.

20 hours ago, Pob said:

Yeah he wasn’t too bad, only took just over a week for me. 

Classic Soulsborne thread stuff.

"Boss X took me Y attempts and is bastard hard. Boss Z though was a piece of piss"

:lol:

I wasn't trying to sound like a dick, honest.

This is similar to the method I used, for anyone who's having lots of trouble with him:

Spoiler

He's the most Souls-y boss in the game, so you need to treat him like one and hug that ass, yo, then pop your brolly whenever he doesn't the fire dive bomb attack. The hardest thing to counter is the charge, as it comes out very quickly and the only way to avoid it is to jump up and left, which feels completely unintuitive as the game has spent a long time by this point purposefully conditioning you *not* to jump about like a twat.

This seems to be out of stock in physical, pretty much everywhere. It's £59.99 digitally. 

The cheapest I can find it (Xbox) is £28 at CEX. I don't think I can recall a non-Nintendo game retaining its value like this.

8 minutes ago, Fargo said:

This is going to sound like a stupid question, but is there any way to grind and level up in Sekiro like you can in Dark Souls ?

Not really, no, as you only get health and attack enhancements from defeating bosses and mini-bosses. There's an NPC who you can practise with and a couple of prosthetics make certain encounters a lot easier. There are also YT guides now with strategies - some cheesier than others - for more or less every notable encounter. But, otherwise, it's pretty much 'Git Gud: The Game'. 

"Grinding" nets you points for abilities on the skill tree, but that's about it. For some players, having a particular ability could be the difference between winning and losing... so it depends on the player. You can also try farming materials for prosthetic upgrades, but again, different players may find the upgrades less valuable than others.

• 2 weeks later...

Below is a description from the English trailer

Experience the award winning adventure from developer FROM Software and get Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice Game of the Year Edition. All players will receive a free update that includes new boss challenge modes, player recordings, and unlockable skins. Available globally on October 28th at 10AM PT / 5PM GMT / October 29th at 2AM JST. Free update requires download.

Explore late 1500s Sengoku Japan, a brutal period of constant life and death conflict, as you come face-to-face with larger than life foes in a dark and twisted world. Unleash an arsenal of deadly prosthetic tools and powerful ninja abilities while you blend stealth, vertical traversal, and visceral head-to-head combat in a bloody confrontation. Take Revenge. Restore Your Honor. Kill Ingeniously.

I got the art book yesterday. It’s English but reads the opposite way. I’ve not had a chance to look at it fully, probably will on this miserable day.

So I had a flick through and, like the other FROM art books it’s full wonderful painterly pictures and character art. I was hoping for some real close ups of the character models though, which in my mind match the exaggerated style of the picture below and there isn’t any of that. Have I made up the characters looking like that? I know Sekiro and Emma have more traditional styles but I’m sure the grunts are more stylised. I played the game ages ago, mind.

4E056689-A291-4C27-9486-E9645F474DEC.jpeg

I imagine it did well but not well enough for Activision to care enough to support it any further. It’s basically out of print, as far as I can tell. They’re happy to just leave it at £50 digitally for anyone who still wants it.

From published it in Japan, so I suppose they could always do a more extensive patch but this is going to be limited by the fact it’s out of print and will basically be free money for Activision. From Software also don’t have a particularly good track record with enhanced versions of their games, and often make some pretty bizarre decisions around performance (the unlocked and all over the place framerate of Sekiro on One X being an example of this).

And on top of all that Covid’s effect on the studio and Elden Ring being behind schedule.

• 4 weeks later...

In lieu of missing out on a PS5 and by extension, Demon's Souls, I finally fired this up on Series X after getting distracted for the past year on other stuff. 

I've finished all 3 Souls games and Bloodborne and loved them all. I swerved them for a couple of years believing they were just too hard. But they weren't really, plenty of frustration along the way but they are incredible as we all know. 

Level with me though guys, is this another level or have I just lost it?  First couple of hours were fine and I seemed to be getting the hang of it but then I met some cunt called General Kawadara. Please tell me he's one of those overlevelled enemies that I shouldn't have stumbled across yet because I just can't beat him. I've had way more tries on him than ever had on Gascoigne or Asylum Demon and he's not even a boss, just some prick in the open world. 

Game looks amazing though on SX at a steadyish 60fps and the atmosphere and music are dripping with that special FromSoft sauce. Can't believe it's taken me so long to get round to it. 

:(

That's a shame. I guess I was fond of the slow methodical approach of DS and BB. Been playing an NG+ run DS3 and it's pretty much a breeze. This is another level of twitch combat that I'm not sure I'm ready for. Will keep at it as it's a beautiful game but I could end up breaking something in a minute.

Can get the first deathblow but then he just nails me. Doesn't seem to be any other way to go so will try and git gud I guess. 

Just ignore him for now and explore elsewhere, there’s usually always somewhere else to go. 

It is mighty difficult though - of course someone will be along shortly to tell you that isn’t so, but for us mere mortals who are proud to have made it through all the Souls games it’s perhaps a bit too hard.  It requires incredible skill and dedication IMO - I loved it but reached a point I couldn’t get past and just kind of stopped playing.