Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

I now have a variety of places to explore including one that is very familiar 

Spoiler

from the opening chapter. 

I initially chose to explore 

Spoiler

underground but I succumbed to terror.  So instead I am stealing treasure from some monks.  That surely can't be too difficult. 

:seanr:

I got the plat, but yeah, so much grinding for those last points. I used the Nightjar ghosts in the forest. Backstab one, empowered mortal draw the other. Rinse and repeat with some relaxing music in the background.

Once I get to the Owl decision I’m gonna back up a save, get the last ending I need then reload to play to the end and find a good grinding spot to do while listening to some podcasts. I think I’m needing at least 20 skill points last time I checked. 

I’ve still got 3 prosthetic upgrades to get but farming the stuff I need won’t be too bad and I’ve got plenty of coin bags for money. 

• 4 weeks later...

This game breaks my heart but I keep going back. Currently battling the armoured bastard on the bridge. I may leave him and go back and try and beat lady butterfly or the bastard in the well. I feel like to finish this it really needs to be the only game I play for a while and I just try and learn the mechanics inside out. I’m also sure there’s pray beads I’ve missed that might help! 

I love the combat, the style and aesthetic, but the difficulty spike at each boss is a killer. It might be in contention for one of my games of the generation if it had an easy mode, or at least the ability to summon help like dark souls. 

• Empathy 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 24/04/2020 at 19:42, wretcherd said:

This is a big part of their efforts to make Sekiro more forgiving than their previous games.

Increased parry window, cancellable attacks, faster healing animation, reviving after death, bankable xp, jump, grappling out of fights, on-screen unblockable warning, 360° backstabs, etc.

Of course you could argue about how successful this approach was, and they definitely misjudged some of this stuff if so many people bounced off it when struggling on early minibosses.

I don't believe they did those things to male it more accessible. I think they did them to show how they could still produce bastard level difficulty with them. 

Sekiro is the most unforgiving and uncompromising modern From game by a distance. 

• Upvote 3
  • 1 month later...

I finally got round to playing this recently and just finished it today. The Souls games are some of my favourite ever, but this is really nothing like them. It's entirely its own thing. It's precise, exacting, punishing, badass and brilliant. Truly marmite but clearly the product of a completely uncompromised vision.

• Upvote 2
6 hours ago, Benny said:

I finally got round to playing this recently and just finished it today. The Souls games are some of my favourite ever, but this is really nothing like them. It's entirely its own thing. It's precise, exacting, punishing, badass and brilliant. Truly marmite but clearly the product of a completely uncompromised vision.

Yes, it's brilliant. Which boss gave you the most trouble?

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

Yes, it's brilliant. Which boss gave you the most trouble?

Once the parry system clicked none of them gave me too much trouble really. I got stuck a bit on horse bloke but after that most only took a few tries to learn how to beat. Apart from DoH - that one can get to fuck, it's so unintuitive and just a slog. Final boss is probably technically the hardest in the whole game, but like most of them what at first seems impossible can gradually be progressed through the stages as you learn the tells and how to punish moves. It's definitely also the best one. Unfortunately I missed OF on looking up later, so might have to do another play through at some point.

Make no mistake: it's not an easy game. It just demands practice and patience to not mess up, much like previous From games, just to the Nth degree.

• Upvote 1

GA was pretty tough too, but that fight:

Spoiler

Was most significant for the most epic and brilliant troll From have ever done.

• Upvote 3

Actually I did get stuck a bit on:

Spoiler

Lone Shadow Longswordsman. That cramped arena and camera issues just annoyed me endlessly. Of course you fight loads of them later but at least by then you have the power to compensate for how relentless they are and more space to fight in.

Leaving the game for a bit when you get stuck helps.

31 minutes ago, Benny said:

Actually I did get stuck a bit on:

Hide contents

Lone Shadow Longswordsman. That cramped arena and camera issues just annoyed me endlessly. Of course you fight loads of them later but at least by then you have the power to compensate for how relentless they are and more space to fight in.

Leaving the game for a bit when you get stuck helps.

How many of the generals/minibosses did you do? I managed to do all of them except the chuckle brothers right before the final boss, the twats.

I did all of them apart from any ones I couldn't do due to missing OF in that area it seems.

Those chuckles brothers are much easier when you:

Spoiler

Use the Spiritfall skill that makes you harder to detect, creep up on the non boss and use the Puppetry Shinobi deathblow on him. You then get a load of free hits on the boss as he distracts and it makes it significantly easier than having to fight them both even with the boss on one life.

24 minutes ago, Benny said:

I did all of them apart from any ones I couldn't do due to missing OF in that area it seems.

Those chuckles brothers are much easier when you:

Hide contents

Use the Spiritfall skill that makes you harder to detect, creep up on the non boss and use the Puppetry Shinobi deathblow on him. You then get a load of free hits on the boss as he distracts and it makes it significantly easier than having to fight them both even with the boss on one life.

That's a good way to do it. I remember at the time I played it, a few months after release, that there didn't seem to be any strategies to make that particular fight easier, so either the way you mentioned hadn't been discovered, or the game has since been patched to allow you to kill one of them in this way.

Anyway, all this reminiscing has got me feeling like I should do another play through, God help me...

• Upvote 2

I've used so many strategies in the game that were the direct payoff for doing a little experimentation. People have called Sekiro restrictive compared to the multiple ways to approach things you have in the Souls series, and it can be in a lot of ways, but there are some very good methods to clear areas with patience.

I'm actually not sure I like that Remnant addition. One joy that I actually liked about Sekiro that set it apart from the Souls series is this time there were no soapstone messages of guidance or "free" healing. It was entirely an offline experience of you vs the game without any other player distractions. I imagine it will probably be optional though.

22 minutes ago, Number 28 said:

I wonder if this says anything about Elden Ring's development...

Probably not. 

As for this, boss rush is a nice addition!

8 minutes ago, Benny said:

I'm actually not sure I like that Remnant addition. One joy that I actually liked about Sekiro that set it apart from the Souls series is this time there were no soapstone messages of guidance or "free" healing. It was entirely an offline experience of you vs the game without any other player distractions. I imagine it will probably be optional though.

It's probably optional and an alternative for players flocking to YouTube for strategies.

Yeah, I hope they don't spray messages and ghost runs all over the beautiful landscapes. Maybe an 'offline' selection in the titles, as per the other games.

I wonder if the remnant thing was part of the original plan because there are the NPC remnants early in the game that seem to be dropped after Genchiro and don't amount to much.

I mean, it sounds like a neat update, but a bit weird timing wise, isn't it? Like 18 months after the original launch for a little update with soapstone messages, boss rush/rematches, and a few costumes? 

Maybe there's next gen versions coming, or something? 

I don't think any of you understand how happy this update makes me. Genuinely breathes new life into the thing. Maybe even moreso than actual DLC.

I genuinely enjoying butting heads with extremely difficult gameplay challenges like seemingly insurmountable bosses. I enjoy 'gitting gud'. The problem with the Souls games is that there's no easy way to replay (read: practice) bosses outside of doing entirely new runs and/or save scumming. This boss rush update completely fixes that.

:)

Yeah I get that! If there are any pc players here there are already mods for boss menus / rush and character swapping etc if you want to to check them out.