IGNORED

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Uzi

8 hours ago, Meh said:

I am inhumanly terrible at this.

The first guy you meet that can do a move that rips your energy to bits, I just can't get the timing down to defend against it properly. It's like my brain just cannot comprehend what time to hit LB.

I think this is just time spent. I remember a tough boss almost feeling like a rhythm action game, after a LOT of time taken to get familiar.

8 hours ago, Meh said:

I am inhumanly terrible at this.

The first guy you meet that can do a move that rips your energy to bits, I just can't get the timing down to defend against it properly. It's like my brain just cannot comprehend what time to hit LB.

Without wanting to criticise the game necessarily, if you just hammer L1, that will do you fine for the most part. It says you're punished for spamming deflect but not as much as failing to deflect at all. As time goes by, you'll get used to the different timings required for different enemies. 

I'm basically at the last boss now, with one other optional one I can do if I can be arsed. All gourd seeds and prayer beads collected. I haven't fought any of the Headless mini-bosses or those other spooky ones so I might go back and do them before finishing. I've been enjoying cheesing a few of the bosses

No idea what happened in that first vid. The boss simply vanishing and somehow dying ar the start of the second phase wasn't part of the cheese guide.

4 hours ago, Mafro said:

I'm basically at the last boss now, with one other optional one I can do if I can be arsed. All gourd seeds and prayer beads collected. I haven't fought any of the Headless mini-bosses or those other spooky ones so I might go back and do them before finishing. I've been enjoying cheesing a few of the bosses

No idea what happened in that first vid. The boss simply vanishing and somehow dying ar the start of the second phase wasn't part of the cheese guide.

That 2nd one is hilarious! How has he got Maria's blade in the first vid though? I never had that before I gave up.

On 21/04/2020 at 17:28, Minion said:

That 2nd one is hilarious! How has he got Maria's blade in the first vid though? I never had that before I gave up.

It's an ability you get as part of the story later on.

Completed it earlier. Thought they were taking the piss with the last boss :lol: but as with most of the others he's fine once you learn the animations telegraphing the worst moves, and the last two phases are easily done with the umbrella and the projected force skill.

6 hours ago, Hitcher said:

Are you guys using the triggers for block/attack or have you swapped them the bumpers? I feel like they're not triggering quick enough half the time and I'm getting hit when it's not my fault.

Bumpers for me, but you've touched upon something. Despite the fact it's a much faster paced game than Dark Souls, there is still some small amount of deliberate weight/lag/momentum to using your sword. It took me quite a long time to attune to that and to be honest, even when I did get pretty decent towards the end of the game, it still felt like playing a rhythm game with a slightly laggy set up. I had to adapt to doing everything a touch earlier than my eyes were telling me. To avoid doubt, I played it on a very low lag display so I know it wasn't that, it's how the game has been designed. I find the gun parrying in Bloodborne to have a similar lag/input delay, and it took me a couple of playthroughs before I got used to the timing. Again, even now, after probably 500 hours, I feel like I've adapted to what the game wants rather than what my eyes are telling me. 

Maybe my eyes/brain are actually fucked, come to think about it. :blah:

I had a terrible time with the timing until I realised that everything firing bluetooth signals everywhere in my house was causing lag for me. In the end I got one of the newer pads which can communicate via the USB (what a stupid oversight that was on the first generation pads...) and it improved immeasurably.

The larger, more monstery baddies I can kind of understand, although I'm personally a big fan of Ape and DoH, since BB and DS do them a lot better. 

The human bosses though? Genichiro, and Owl Father, should be held up for years to come as the gold standard for how to make a genuinely intimidating, fucking amazing boss. 

29 minutes ago, Let us measure said:

The larger, more monstery baddies I can kind of understand, although I'm personally a big fan of Ape and DoH, since BB and DS do them a lot better. 

The human bosses though? Genichiro, and Owl Father, should be held up for years to come as the gold standard for how to make a genuinely intimidating, fucking amazing boss. 

See I don't agree the big bosses are necessarily better in BB or Souls. Guardian Ape is fucking amazing, mainly because once you get the confidence to just get all up in his face, it feels amazing. So many of the big bosses in previous games you just can't block or parry properly so they become these weird mechanical battles, waiting for opportunity, rather than reacting and seizing chances. 

I really enjoyed the best bosses in Sekiro (OF, SS, Gen) but I can hardly remember many others without putting my mind to it. Once I realised that you can more or less get right up in an enemy's face and spam L1, after the initial thrill it neutered the reward of playing 'properly' for me. Yes, you will sometimes die anyway because of crap timing/RNG inherent to spam but you can brute force your way through the game by switching off your brain and disengaging from most of the intricacies of the combat.

Unlike Dark Souls or Bloodborne, I felt like my inputs didn't really matter as much. When you're being attacked, keep hammering L1 until they pause, then hammer R1 until they wind up again. GTFO when you see the warning icon. Rinse and repeat. I don't feel that 'strategy' should be anywhere near as effective as it is. It's like finding out that there's a safe spot in a bullet hell game or something. Yeah, you can make yourself not use it and it'll be more fun but the fact that you might as well not bother saps the excitement. Also, some of the designs were interesting and there are some cool arenas but the impact of bosses, and possibly why I can't remember many, was diluted for me by the number of similar mini bosses who appeared and who were almost always more difficult than the main bosses.

It's funny how having loved it when I first finished, it's only diminished for me ever since. 

Guardian Ape, Owl and the castle Genchiro are definitely my favourites in the game and would probably be in my top ten in all the Souls games. Kinda agree with the above post of the rest being pretty forgettable though. One thing that really annoyed me was how little damage you do against pretty much every enemy with your sword while they can happily take entire health bars off you with one swipe. That really made vitality-focused fights a real slog sometimes.

And I'll be happy to never fight a spear-weilding mini-boss enemy in a From game again after playing through this. Why didn't they just give them 10ft swords instead since that's how they fight with them anyway :lol: They seem to have ridiculous phantom range too that reminded me of being hit by a bandit knife from a mile away in Dark Souls 3 PvP.

I might go for the platinum in this since it seems less fiddly than the Souls games. I backed up my save before the last boss and got 3 of the 4 endings, so it's just the last one, two bosses and skills and upgrades trophies I need now while playing through NG+.

On 16/07/2019 at 11:27, Don Wiskerando said:

It never occurred to try and deflect because of the size of the bastard.  This is the only souls game where I have bothered to learn the parrying so I'll give that a go.  Thanks all.

9 months later and I am still stuck on this bastard and still trying once a day.  This weekend is definitely going to be it.

On 21/04/2020 at 12:33, Mafro said:

The boss simply vanishing and somehow dying ar the start of the second phase wasn't part of the cheese guide.

Which cheese guide? I'd love to have a look at the easiest way to do all the bosses!