rllmuk
Uzi

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

So I got the absolute shitiest ending. Also not easy at all considering the three stage fight I had to do at the end. I doubted for a moment there on the last boss whether I had it in me. I had an ‘am I too old for this?’ moment. But sure enough. Like with all bosses before that one. I got to a point where I was spanking the motherfucker. So satisfying. Then I restarted one new game plus mode and one just regular mode again. This is the same moment that made me fall in love with dark souls. Starting over normal mode and destroying everything. I even beat genishiro (who you are supposed to loose to). He still cuts your arm though. He is not hard at all I would say. Compared to the ordeals I have been through. Ishin is an utter cunt. But I can now do his death by a thousand cuts move. Very happy to go a cut the shit out of a certain monkey. 

• Upvote 1

holy shit it would seem I was missing half the game by getting that shitty ending. instead of going through on new game plus I just did normal  mode again. I am about to fight OF. thanks for the tip @Stanshall. I also really enjoy the enemies in that lastarea of the game which opens after owl. I was about to miss all that good stuff. I am glad I played again. this is easily my favourite game since bloodborne. I think the combat is indeed better in this. but I prob like the setting on bloodborne best. hope bloodborne 2 has the posture gauge stuff. albeit would probably fit less thematically. 

• Upvote 2

@Oz You might have already looked this up but there are 4 endings, with the routes to 2 of them involving unique boss battles, and one involving a similar process to Bloodborne's umbilical cords.

• Upvote 1

Thanks rich. I did the first unique boss ending by accident. Called the shura ending. All of the sudden credits rolled. I had no idea. Ishin is so fucking hard.

Now I am going for purification but have also done all that’s required for the return ending.  I think I will have the choice in the end hopefully but not sure. I have OF to go and then the final one I think. Maybe also a dragon and the dog from okami?

after the shura incident  I did some research. Lol

6 hours ago, wretcherd said:

@Oz You might have already looked this up but there are 4 endings, with the routes to 2 of them involving unique boss battles, and one involving a similar process to Bloodborne's umbilical cords.

I killed the cunt. massive cunt. miyazaki has some serious daddy issues. OF has trolling dialogue to his last breath. 

the fight is the one I've enjoyed the most probably. 

Genichiro on new game plus. made some terrible mistakes. but I did do it first try (although I did do some grass at the end). I have learned a lot of this fight. still I feel the timing of the deflect lighting eludes me. or it is just quick on new game plus. I feel like I had a second to react at best. 

• Upvote 6

Jonamok will disagree but I actually think the fight should be harder!

Well, not just this fight TBH...

One thing I found was the more I played the less I worried about my own stance meter. The game pushes an aggressive nature and you can actually bully your way through quite a lot. I would have preferred a slower pace with more maintenance on both health AND stance.

You have to back off to fill your health regularly but how many times do you back off just to bring your stance meter under control?

Maybe I’m just a sadist...

If playing as a conpletionist I feel at some point you will have more anal beads for your necklace than the game intends you to have and your posture becomes less of a problem.

On new game plus they will absolutely break your posture if you are not careful. I think with time I did this more instinctively in any case, so it feels like you are having to think less about it.

Particularly slow hard hitters (like the drunk fat bastard) will strongly penalise blocking. Anything but a parry or dodge will get you in trouble immediately.

You can block Genichiro more. However, he would have absolutely broken my posture in this video a couple of times if it were not for the move I was doing to recover posture. One of the strong arrows will put you in red immediately.

If you are finding it easy, starting a game after your first completion will give you the chance to give a charm to kuro at the start. This will make the game harder by making you take health damage on blocking. You can also ring the demon bell for enemies to be more aggressive.

If after this you are not yet happy I suggest getting into BDSM or visiting our diversity in games thread. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Oz said:

Genichiro on new game plus. made some terrible mistakes. but I did do it first try (although I did do some grass at the end). I have learned a lot of this fight. still I feel the timing of the deflect lighting eludes me. or it is just quick on new game plus. I feel like I had a second to react at best. 

Fuck me. I just hope Elden Ring has summoning.

13 hours ago, Oz said:

Sweet christ! That is some proper Hyper Sweaty Palm stuff...I've only just started this and am already worried about not being able to read attacker poses when the kanji symbol pops up to do the relevant mikiro counter or jump kick :)

1 minute ago, merrychan said:

Sweet christ! That is some proper Hyper Sweaty Palm stuff...I've only just started this and am already worried about not being able to read attacker poses when the kanji symbol pops up to do the relevant mikiro counter or jump kick :)

That never goes away unfortunately. I think a lot of people found that to be one of the big flaws in the game.

4 minutes ago, Hylian said:

That never goes away unfortunately. I think a lot of people found that to be one of the big flaws in the game.

Thanks, I'll see how it goes...so far I'm enjoying the early combat and sneaking about, however I get the feeling the only way to progress with the skills is to kill / stealth kill everyone to increase the level bar

56 minutes ago, merrychan said:

I've only just started this and am already worried about not being able to read attacker poses when the kanji symbol pops up to do the relevant mikiro counter or jump kick :)

That was the roadblock for me. By the time my brain reacted to the kanji popping up and parsed the start of the attack animation and sent the signal to my hands, they would already have panicked and done the wrong thing, and I'd usually be picking up my teeth.

A hundred attempts at Genichiro and I got him to his final form a handful of times, and barely scratched him after that. And I understand later bosses are significantly harder.

Nooope.

But you'll likely be fine. Most are. ;)

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

19 minutes ago, jonamok said:

That was the roadblock for me. By the time my brain reacted to the kanji popping up and parsed the start of the attack animation and sent the signal to my hands, they would already have panicked and done the wrong thing, and I'd usually be picking up my teeth.

A hundred attempts at Genichiro and I got him to his final form a handful of times, and barely scratched him after that. And I understand later bosses are significantly harder.

Nooope.

Yep I level my way through the bits in other Soulsborne games that I find difficult, well that and online.

Skillsborne is a different matter :D

59 minutes ago, merrychan said:

Thanks, I'll see how it goes...so far I'm enjoying the early combat and sneaking about, however I get the feeling the only way to progress with the skills is to kill / stealth kill everyone to increase the level bar

Quite the opposite. Levelling up does nothing really other than add new moves to your skill set. This is not helpful if you are not able to read the boss. Only way to progress is to learn through painful trial and error. Otherwise you will gain nothing.

If you are stuck on a boss there is a way to level up ‘so to speak’ by finding more beads. The game is surprisingly open from the start. You can explore a lot of areas. If you feel you are stuck one way I would encourage you to explore another area. 

There is no real point grinding enemy kills though or anything like that.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jonamok said:

Nooope.

Most are not actually. Don’t feel bad. Steam has that boss achievement at around 49%. You can do it though. You just need patience and time. 

edit: just exactly below 50%

• Upvote 1

Ishin Ashina is at 12%
massive cunt

I then got his skill (which one shot me a million times) only to find out is does slightly more damage than a normal attack. His final insult. 

7 minutes ago, Oz said:

Only way to progress is to learn through painful trial and error. Otherwise you will gain nothing.

This isn't quite true. There is one more way.

Spoiler

Consult Youtube videos/guides to save time.

Usually I wouldn't, but life's too short for some of Sekiro's bosses.

39 minutes ago, BadgerFarmer said:

This isn't quite true. There is one more way.

Reveal hidden contents

Consult Youtube videos/guides to save time.

Usually I wouldn't, but life's too short for some of Sekiro's bosses.

• Upvote 2

This is Orin in new game plus. I love this fight. It is basically a dance. Hard as balls

• Upvote 1

Orin is tough on subsequent playthroughs, but you can also just skip past her. She only drops 500 coins.

About Old Man Isshin, for anyone new to the game I would recommend to go the Shura route first time through the game and be done with it. He becomes so tough on later games. I was stupid enough to go Sword Saint three times for those endings first and seriously thought I would never get past the old bastard. Took me maybe two weeks of failure before I got him down, and by that stage Emma is also a formidable foe. If I had to use a flask on her fight I just restarted.

But I figured you can actually outrun his Flame Blast, if you run towards the pillars and do a 90 degree turn and keep on running he will likely end up somewhere behind you.

Youre close though, just a little bit more and you got him.