rllmuk
Uzi

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

3 minutes ago, Broker said:

Shop guys you say. I feel like there was a shop right after the horse guy? 

Are the prosthetic tools worth bothering with? The vast majority of them seem to do nothing on almost all enemies, with only the flame vent on the ogre having a noticeable effect, and even then on the time she beat it she’d forgotten to use any fire. Can we just ignore them? 

You tend to use them more strategically rather than offensively. The shuriken, for example, don't do much damage (at the start of the game, anyway) but you can use them to interrupt enemy attacks and pull down enemies who jump about a lot (which will be very useful with certain enemy types she'll encounter later). You can also learn a combat art early on that allows you to throw one and immediately follow with a homing slice, which is a great opening move that covers lots of ground and deals a decent amount of damage to unaware enemies. The flame vent is useful against mini-bosses who are susceptible to burn and is best used with oil urns. The axe is useful against shielded enemies and for braking posture. The loaded spear is useful against groups, etc. All the prosthetics have their uses, but you'll definitely use some more than others. Technically you could get through the entire game without them, though. It would just be harder. 

• Upvote 2

I'd argue the game is only a tiny bit harder without them, and mainly they are useful against regular enemies as opposed to bosses. 

Actually, having said that, I couldn't imagine playing it without at least firecrackers.  They are super useful against lots of enemies, including bosses, for interrupting annoying/tricky attacks. 

I've played and beaten all of the previous Souls games but I am absolutely stuck on an early mini-boss

Spoiler

that fucking bull with a flaming log stuck to his head.

I just can't find a consistent opening.

7 minutes ago, robdood said:

I'd argue the game is only a tiny bit harder without them, and mainly they are useful against regular enemies as opposed to bosses. 

The umbrella in pretty damn indispensable for some of the late game stuff.

1 minute ago, Don Wiskerando said:

I've played and beaten all of the previous Souls games but I am absolutely stuck on an early mini-boss

Reveal hidden contents

See previous page.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

The umbrella in pretty damn indispensable for some of the late game stuff.

Literally never used it :unsure:

1 minute ago, Jamie John said:

Blimey. How did you find DoH without it?

Not too bad.  Was the one fight I spent more time dodging than deflecting, I can tell you.  Took me about 15 tries, all in. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Don Wiskerando said:

Reveal hidden contents

Lock on and then run (hold down the run button, don't dash dash dash) to the left or right. Eventually it'll click when you are chasing him in circles rather than him you that most of the time he can't actually hit you and you can just slash him about the bum every so often until he's dead.

20 minutes ago, robdood said:

This is what makes me think they might be worth ignoring, she's absolutely smashing ordinary enemies without requiring any real assistance. She's generally happy navigating entire areas with the grapple, taking out enemies in groups of two or three at a time. It's only when she get's to the enemies with two red dots or the bosses that she starts trying them out, and the net effect of all of them seems to be fuck all. 

She's extremely good at the combat, last night in the Hirata estate she found a place to jump up and at the top there was a little hut with some prosthetic that lets you dodge with feathers or some shit, and a crazy ass one armed purple dude who chopped her down in two hits. I figured we'd lucked out grabbing the item and would leave him until later, or should try out the prosthetics or whatever, but she just went back about ten times, and defeated him with her sword, dodges, jumps and reflects, eventually nailing him completely with an endless, barely interrupted flurry of blows that only saw her getting hit once and still having a resurrect and all her gourds left when he died. It was awesome.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

Lock on and then run (hold down the run button, don't dash dash dash) to the left or right. Eventually it'll click when you are chasing him in circles rather than him you that most of the time he can't actually hit you and you can just slash him about the bum every so often until he's dead.

That is literally the most boring, longwinded, and rubbish way to do it. Because if you don't learn to deflect him, all it takes is a couple of attacks to kill you and you've wasted ten minutes. 

It's actually pretty quick if you can use firecrackers to get close, get next to its back legs and slash away, dodge to the side as he flails his head around, and keep slashing. You can get a surprising number of hits in before it runs off again. Then repeat.

The bull is a piece of piss once you’ve figured out when to deflect him. He’ll be down in a couple of minutes at most.

• Upvote 1

They just put all the prosthetic stuff in as a joke at the player's expense. Absolutely useless all of it. Instead of just having the Pendant, they built an entire system and did all the artwork and animations and stuff but it's actually got no value at all. 

• Empathy 1

It never occurred to try and deflect because of the size of the bastard.  This is the only souls game where I have bothered to learn the parrying so I'll give that a go.  Thanks all.

3 hours ago, Don Wiskerando said:

It never occurred to try and deflect because of the size of the bastard.  This is the only souls game where I have bothered to learn the parrying so I'll give that a go.  Thanks all.

It’s basically what robdood said on the last page. Create some distance between you and he’ll come charging straight at you, he’ll then dip his head to do an uppercut on you. Deflect that and it’ll stun him leaving you plenty of time to get a load of hits in. Run away and repeat.

That’s what I love about From bosses. They seem so aggressive and intimidating at first, that it really unnerves you, but after a few goes you start to see their patterns and work out a way to exploit them.

So deflecting the bulls uppercut type attack does very little to his posture, is the firecracker effect that minimal?

I just had a couple of goes at it and it genuinely seems like the most boring, shitty boss I’ve ever fought in a FromSoftware game. Maybe not as bad as that big blob from the start of demon’s, but that boring.

I just need to stop thinking that because I like their other games I’ll enjoy this. It’s literally all the things I hate about their other games and none of the stuff I like.

16 minutes ago, Broker said:

So deflecting the bulls uppercut type attack does very little to his posture, is the firecracker effect that minimal?

I just had a couple of goes at it and it genuinely seems like the most boring, shitty boss I’ve ever fought in a FromSoftware game. Maybe not as bad as that big blob from the start of demon’s, but that boring.

I’m not sure what you’re doing wrong, but a deflect and a few hits should push his posture meter up while taking a decent chunk off health of him. You only need to repeat it about 5 or 6 times and his posture will fill up giving you the opportunity for the death blow.

7 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Blimey. How did you find DoH without it?

I didn’t use the it (or many of the prosthetics) either.

For him in particular I think you can revert to running / dodging like in the other games. It was straightforward once I had his patterns down, but that took a LONG time.

12 hours ago, Stanshall said:

They just put all the prosthetic stuff in as a joke at the player's expense. Absolutely useless all of it. Instead of just having the Pendant, they built an entire system and did all the artwork and animations and stuff but it's actually got no value at all. 

Literally could not have got through the game without it. The umbrella + projected force trivialise several enemies from mid to late game. Firecrackers are indespensible for interrupting enemies and can actually stun lock some enemies, including bosses (along with fist full of Ash). Shuriken are very useful for clearing annoying but low health enemies such as dogs or archers. 

Other prosethetcis are much more situational but still useful. The flame vent is strong against some enemies particularly in combination with oil and note burn status prevents posture recovery. Sabimaru is extremely strong against certain enemies and makes an entire late section of the game much easier. The whistle has a 3 emblem cost for a reason. Not only does it let you pick off enemies, Souls style, it drives animals nuts and makes them attack enemies. The axe spin can wreck shit if you have the time to do it, particularly if it's sparking. 

The fan is shit, though. 

13 hours ago, robdood said:

That is literally the most boring, longwinded, and rubbish way to do it. Because if you don't learn to deflect him, all it takes is a couple of attacks to kill you and you've wasted ten minutes. 

While following the Tyrannicon strategy is probably easier, do it whatever way works for you and ignore all this sort of git gud nonsense. 

13 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

@kensei Apologies fella. I was being facetious because @Broker queried whether they were even worth bothering with. 

I mean, it's not like games don;t launch with shit systems that don't really matter. Someone already said that a lot of the unlockable moves are useless, and the game is full of stupid shit that's a waste of time, for instance when the horse boss died we got a "memory" which I had to go into a menu to "confront" which increased one of the stats. Literally no point in that entire sequence of events, prompts, logos, texts and stuff, you could just get the upgrade from beating the boss.