rllmuk
Uzi

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Lots of progress made today:

Spoiler

I got all the way through the Senpou Temple area, doing the Armoured Warrior, big crawling wolverine guy and the three monkeys boss fight first time (although I did have to look at a guide for the invisible monkey in the latter after running around aimlessly for half an hour once I'd killed the other three).

From there I made my way further into the Sunken Valley, killed the Snake Eyes mini-boss, killed the Giraffe wolverine guy first time (although he didn't look much like a giraffe to me) and have just had a second run in with the now cycloptic giant serpent, getting past him to get to the next idol and a new jungle-looking area.

Loving it!

• Upvote 4

Guardian Ape down! He was pretty tasty.

Spoiler

Although now I've just come up against him again in the Depths, which seems a bit lazy. I actually managed to deathblow him the first time on my initial attempt and then thought the game wanted me to use the finger whistle prosthetic on the second ape that he summons in order to give him a taste of his own medicine. As it turns out, however, this doesn't work and I ended up just getting ganked by both of them. The camera didn't help much in this regard, either.

It seems a bit stupid that the whistle doesn't work when the description explicitly says that it enrages beast enemies. And given that you fight both ape bosses back to back I imagine I wasn't the first person to assume you could use the whistle against him.

But anyway. He shall fall to my blade upon the dawn, whistle or no whistle.

12 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Guardian Ape down! He was pretty tasty.

Reveal hidden contents

Although now I've just come up against him again in the Depths, which seems a bit lazy. I actually managed to deathblow him the first time on my initial attempt and then thought the game wanted me to use the finger whistle prosthetic on the second ape that he summons in order to give him a taste of his own medicine. As it turns out, however, this doesn't work and I ended up just getting ganked by both of them. The camera didn't help much in this regard, either.

It seems a bit stupid that the whistle doesn't work when the description explicitly says that it enrages beast enemies. And given that you fight both ape bosses back to back I imagine I wasn't the first person to assume you could use the whistle against him.

But anyway. He shall fall to my blade upon the dawn, whistle or no whistle.

You’re powering through this! I’ve still not done the Ape and I’ve been on him for weeks. Admittedly, I’ve only had a few goes in that time due to other commitments, so it’s very slow going for me. I wish I had the time. I’m gutted I’ll have to stop checking your spoilers from here.

• Upvote 1

Thanks @JPL. The ape fight was pretty touch and go, to be fair. I had him down to a quarter of his second health bar with no gourd left or pellets so had to use some divine grass to get my hp up. Got through by the skin of my teeth.

A bit more progress today:

Spoiler

Got through Guardian Ape mk.II and his Donkey Kong buddy. I'd read a guide saying to take down the second ape before going back to the headless one but after a few goes of this method not working I just concentrated on zombie ape instead, kiting him about the arena and going in for pot shots. Seemed to work!

I'm now tiptoeing through a haunted forest area with respawning ghost enemies that pop up out of nowhere and stab me in the neck. The joys!

Progress! I sense I'm possibly coming towards the end now.

Spoiler

Took down the Corrupted Monk on my fifth or sixth try. She was giving me gyp for a while until I got the party rhythm down and then she fell pretty quickly to posture damage.

I then spent an hour going back over various watery places with my new diving ability to search for treasure. I notice that all of the castle idols are greyed out, though, and everything's got darker, so it feels like shit's gunna go down.

10 hours ago, Jamie John said:

She was giving me gyp for a while until I got the party rhythm down 

giphy.gif

• Upvote 4

12 hours ago, Pob said:

giphy.gif

:lol:

Well, funnily enough, the sword fighting isn't too dissimilar from a dance.

Anyway, spent an hour this evening banging my head against a brick wall, aka

Spoiler

The Great Shnobi Owl. Great Shinobi Wanker, more like, amirite?

He's definitely been the biggest roadblock since Genichiro. On my last attempt tonight, however, I managed to get him down to red posture on his second health bar before a mis-timed parry did for me. I'd have had him if it wasn't for that stupid green balloon he pops which stops you from healing.

Until tomorrow, you owl fucker.

Spoiler

Killed the Divine Dragon boss on my second go, although he was pretty easy, once you know how.

Back to Ashina and things have gone down the crapper, big time. I was going to go for all the prayer beads, only I've figured out that two are only available if you complete one of the game's endings that I can already no longer access, so that's that out of the window. I'm going to have a look around the Outskirts and Castle to see what changes the invasion has brought, and then it's on to what I'm sure must be the final boss.

Something tells me it's not going to be easy...

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, DC said:

I’m interested as you’ve walked everything else.

I'm not sure if that's the case! If you check the previous page, pre-Genichiro I was throwing my toys out the pram big time.

It's been said before, but I'm sure this is more difficult for seasoned Souls players than it is for people who haven't had 'Roll, R1' burned into their muscle memories. It took me about ten hours to get out of that habit before I started playing it the way it's supposed to be played. After that it doesn't get easier, necessarily, but things don't feel as insurmountable as they did originally.

I think it’s the speed you’re ripping through it! Every time you post, you’re onto the next boss. That’s some good going.

• Upvote 2

You are some kimd of savant. It does get easier post Genichiro, but 'Well I nearly had him on my first go...'  is absolutely wrecking the game. 

Aw, you guys :wub:

Spent a couple of hours last night mopping things up before the final boss.

Spoiler

- Killed two of the remaining mini-bosses, the enraged elite samurai guy and the fire-spitting sumo drunkard guy. The latter was the only enemy against which I've used the loaded spear to strip armour from, despite reading about it many times. Who else can you do this to? The only mini-boss I've got access to now is the spearman by the reservoir, but seeing as he's accompanied by another guy who you can't deathblow, and seeing as I'll never have enough prayer beads to make the tenth necklace, I'm not going to bother.

- Explored the Ashina outskirts post-invasion and used the puppeteer technique to turn some of the flamethrower guys against each other. That was fun. I got to the idol at the end of the area and then freaked out when I got randomly transported to the battlefield with the massive fire demon. He seems optional, though, and I'm not sure if I can be bothered.

- Overfed the giant toothy carp in the Fountainhead Place, which caused his attendant to die for some reason. Still, I got some Lapis Lazuli out of it so I upgraded a couple of my prosthetics to their max level, although I doubt I'll have that much of a chance to use them now. I also used the excess of treasure scales I had to buy some more lapis lazuli and the remaining segments of the dragon mask, which, again, I doubt I'll ever use as getting 5 skill points by this part of the game will take about 60,000 experience points. There's a good grinding spot in the Outskirts, but it would still take about 30 minutes of repeated back stab runs. I may do it if the final boss proves too hard.

- Lastly, I puppeteered the rat by the kite in the temple area and used it to grapple across the canyon so I could then go on and pogo the head of the giant serpent with my sword and rip out his still-beating heart, which was cool as fuck, although finding out afterwards that I'm beyond the point where I can actually use his heart for anything was a bit disappointing. Still, the shower of blood was satisfying.

After all that procrastination the only thing to do now is see what lies beyond the secret passage...

5 minutes ago, El Spatula said:

Er you can still use the heart...

O rly?

Spoiler

Is that in order to get the 'true' ending? I'd read that after you've killed the Divine Dragon, which I've done, it's useless, but I may have misread the wiki page I was looking at.

I'll check again.

Re. The snake viscera:

Spoiler

https://m.uk.ign.com/wikis/sekiro-shadows-die-twice/How_to_Get_All_Sekiro_Endings#Return_to_the_Divine_Child

According to this guide it can't be used to get the best ending at this point because one of the steps involved means getting a particular item from Kuro to give to the Divine Child, and I no longer have access to Kuro as he's buggered off to the Reservoir (although how he got past all the high level enemies and burning buildings, I'm not sure).

Unless there's a different way to use the viscera, @El Spatula?

I wouldn't worry about it, its just a different final cutscene really and unless you're going to finish the game 4 times you'll be youtubing some of it anyway.

I've just spent two fucking hours against the final fucking boss. The difficulty spike is ridiculous.

Spoiler

I can do stage one pretty much flawlessly now and managed to survive until stage three a few times, but as soon as he whips the spear out I'm fucked. He seems to have a hundred and one different endless combos that makes learning the parry timing next to impossible while blocking just eats through my posture almost immediately, and the range is so crazy that running away doesn't seem to work, either, especially when he shoots you in the back with his bastard automatic pistol (WTF is that about, by the way? I thought this was bloody feudal-era Japan?!). God knows what the final stage must be like.

I'm going to watch a few YT guides and have a go again tomorrow, but I'm really not sure if I have the patience or time to dedicate to it. Having to fight Genichiro at the start again every twatting time is bullshit, too.

Spoiler

D-VsmMGXoAYoJhP.jpg:large

Spoiler

giphy.gif

;)

• Upvote 8

There's a BT way of doing stages 3 and 4.

Spoiler

Get distance. He'll run toward you and do one of two things that you can block with the umbrella (purple one preferred) :

1. Shoot four times 

Release projected force on the four shot, hell walk into it

2. Jump attack with the spear, then follows up with shots and another attack

Block the spear dodge, left while he's shooting and release projected force again

Run away. Repeat. Sugars, healing and ceremonial tanto as needed. 

Stage 4 you can also lightening reverse him

However I fully expect your next post to be beating him without taking a hit. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, kensei said:

There's a BT way of doing stages 3 and 4.

Hide contents

Get distance. He'll run toward you and do one of two things that you can block with the umbrella (purple one preferred) :

1. Shoot four times 

Release projected force on the four shot, hell walk into it

2. Jump attack with the spear, then follows up with shots and another attack

Block the spear dodge, left while he's shooting and release projected force again

Run away. Repeat. Sugars, healing and ceremonial tanto as needed. 

Stage 4 you can also lightening reverse him

However I fully expect your next post to be beating him without taking a hit. 

Spoiler

Ahem. You may want to check the spoilers in my previous post.