IGNORED

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Uzi

It's good to keep switching between the 2 paths, I think. Remember that 4 prayer beads will get you a health upgrade, so if you can find them on the main path it'll make the estate memory easier. At the same time, there are things you'll find in the memory that can make the main path easier. 

2 hours ago, Jamie John said:

And I've been picking off fat drunkard's guards before going for him. Old guy and I almost had him last time but I got clipped by his sweep attack through a rock, which was frustrating. He will be mine!

Oil & Fire is helpful with that guy

The Drunkard was the biggest wall I faced until the final boss until I got told about the winning tactic, already mentioned, of clearing out the minions and then bringing in the NPC assistant when Juzuo is on his own. It’s easy then. 

However, I wouldn’t have wanted to be without the XP points and actual experience I gained from killing all the minions in the run up to him, over and over again. That’s the point when I learnt how to deal with mobs. 

Managed to kill drunkard man but then got my arse handed to me 5 times over by the boss immediately after him, plus I get the impression I'm going to need some more of the sugar snap peas, or whatever they are, for that fight, so I went back to the main path.

Once there I killed the ogre man after a few goes, then the general guy in the courtyard beyond him (after a few more goes).I  decided against rumours of headless samurai to the right so descended the left hand cliffs instead, checking in at the idol on the way, only to be scared shitless, once again, this time by a large slithery fellow. Thankfully at that point my baby woke up and started crying which gave me the excuse to turn the game off and nope the fuck out of there.

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

Managed to kill drunkard man but then got my arse handed to me 5 times over by the boss immediately after him, plus I get the impression I'm going to need some more of the sugar snap peas, or whatever they are, for that fight, so I went back to the main path.

Once there I killed the ogre man after a few goes, then the general guy in the courtyard beyond him (after a few more goes).I  decided against rumours of headless samurai to the right so descended the left hand cliffs instead, checking in at the idol on the way, only to be scared shitless, once again, this time by a large slithery fellow. Thankfully at that point my baby woke up and started crying which gave me the excuse to turn the game off and nope the fuck out of there.

The main path is probably the better option for now. When you do go back to that boss, I wouldn't worry about the sugar snap peas. You can do it without. It's weird that it introduces the option and then only gives you one, which you'll probably waste anyway.

Got past slithery, now up against the demon horseman. I know how to beat him, but it's just doing it that's the hard part.

I have to say that this does seem to be more difficult than Souls, not least because my attacks seems to do so little damage whereas most heavy enemies can kill me in literally two hits. I'm a few hours in now and at this point in a Souls game I'd have upgraded my weapon at least once, whereas there doesn't seem to be an option to do that here. I've got some scrap iron, whose description says something about upgrades, but the sculptor doesn't seem interested and I haven't found a blacksmith or anything. Thankfully, most of the boss enemies I've come across so far have had an idol fairly nearby so getting to them again after dying isn't too tedious, but I can definitely empathise with people getting frustrated with having to fight through the same grunts repeatedly on their way to a boss only to get one-shotted before they can blink and then having to start from scratch again, especially when you're punished for dying.

I remember feeling immensely proud of myself when I killed Father Gascoigne first time in Bloodborne, but I can't imagine ever beating a boss first time in this.

10 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Got past slithery, now up against the demon horseman. I know how to beat him, but it's just doing it that's the hard part.

I have to say that this does seem to be more difficult than Souls, not least because my attacks seems to do so little damage whereas most heavy enemies can kill me in literally two hits. I'm a few hours in now and at this point in a Souls game I'd have upgraded my weapon at least once, whereas there doesn't seem to be an option to do that here. I've got some scrap iron, whose description says something about upgrades, but the sculptor doesn't seem interested and I haven't found a blacksmith or anything. Thankfully, most of the boss enemies I've come across so far have had an idol fairly nearby so getting to them again after dying isn't too tedious, but I can definitely empathise with people getting frustrated with having to fight through the same grunts repeatedly on their way to a boss only to get one-shotted before they can blink and then having to start from scratch again, especially when you're punished for dying.

I remember feeling immensely proud of myself when I killed Father Gascoigne first time in Bloodborne, but I can't imagine ever beating a boss first time in this.

How did you fare with the flaming bull?

4 hours ago, Minion said:

How did you fare with the flaming bull?

3 hours ago, BadgerFarmer said:

That's further on.

Yeah, I haven't faced him yet.

There's an item where the snake was which I can see from the cliffs where the next idol is, but I'm too scared to go and get it. There's also the ghostly cliff path as well which I haven't explored yet, although I suspect I need more confetti than I have currently in order to get through it.

@Jamie John it's quite a different game in terms of combat to souls. You will indeed find ways to increase your attack power, but they are gated behind.. Bosses! You are exactly the right level of power to fight Gyobu right now!

But, try not to think of the damage you do to him. In fact, I'd recommend that you ignore the bars on screen altogether. You'll die in two or three hits. That's all you need to know.  Try and focus on timing your L1 presses to accurately deflect his attacks.  You're quite safe to hold L1 if needed while learning the patterns.  But timing the presses is key to winning.  I've death blowed that fucker with more than 50% of his health remaining. 

It's also a lot more like Bloodborne than Souls in terms of offensive play being the most effective... Watch for the chances to grapple, chase the fucker down when he runs away.  You kind of want to be constantly attacking, only stopping to slip in parries in between your attacks. 

Personally I think it's important to learn how to play super-offensive early, otherwise the later parts of the game might really become arduous for you.   You're a fucking badass shinobi, man!  Get in people's faces and smash the fuck out of them! 

I can’t remember who said it, but the single best Sekiro tip I’ve read on here was this: if you’re one on one with an opponent, there might be six or seven moves they can do, with no way of predicting which one they’ll use, or when they’ll do it. If you attack first, the pool of moves they’ll use to respond is MUCH smaller, and therefore much easier to anticipate. So if you get up in someone’s face and keep up the pressure, rather than letting them set the pace, you’ll find it much easier to wear them down.

Obviously you can’t just run in windmilling in any scenario, but it does wonders for your confidence and general savoir-faire if you experiment with learning an opponents responses to your attacks, rather than their entire move set. 

1 hour ago, K said:

I can’t remember who said it, but the single best Sekiro tip I’ve read on here was this: if you’re one on one with an opponent, there might be six or seven moves they can do, with no way of predicting which one they’ll use, or when they’ll do it. If you attack first, the pool of moves they’ll use to respond is MUCH smaller, and therefore much easier to anticipate. So if you get up in someone’s face and keep up the pressure, rather than letting them set the pace, you’ll find it much easier to wear them down.

Obviously you can’t just run in windmilling in any scenario, but it does wonders for your confidence and general savoir-faire if you experiment with learning an opponents responses to your attacks, rather than their entire move set. 

That was me!! :wub:

2 hours ago, K said:

So if you get up in someone’s face and keep up the pressure, rather than letting them set the pace, you’ll find it much easier to wear them down.

Good advice, this.

As an example here's me early on trying to play like Souls

And here's me 20 hours later

3 minutes ago, JPL said:

The combat is so good in this once it clicks. Am I allowed to say I prefer it to Dark Souls?

Definitely. I prefer this as well.

For those who want to dig deeper into the lore, Vaati posted a new video.

I watched one of his videos you posted the other day. There’s a lot more depth to the lore than first appears. It’s really interesting watching it, because I’ve been scratching my head at what a lot of it could mean as I’ve been going through.

2 hours ago, wretcherd said:

Good advice, this.

As an example here's me early on trying to play like Souls

And here's me 20 hours later

Thanks for the advice. I used it to kill that same ninja! Took me a fair few goes, however.

I've just come up against the blazing bull. Got him down to about a third of his health but then he got me, the bugger. I did spend most of the fight prancing about like a prat though, admittedly.

6 minutes ago, jonamok said:

I assumed he meant he preferred the game, not just the combat?

I don’t know, it’s a tough one. I do love the setting, the lore and the visuals, but I also really like Dark Souls weird fantasy stuff. The traversal and combat in Sekiro is far superior for me though.

The only really let down is the prosthetics feel a bit superfluous. They should have removed the spirit emblems, so you didn’t worry so much about trying out different ways to use them.

10 minutes ago, JPL said:

The only really let down is the prosthetics feel a bit superfluous. They should have removed the spirit emblems, so you didn’t worry so much about trying out different ways to use them.

This utterly breaks the game. There's videos on YouTube where people have no limits on Spirit Emblems. You can spam Phantom Kunais to take anyone out. It's not the only prosethic that can be abused that way either, plus it gives you infinite mortal blade, puppets and sugars. 

Most prosthetics are situationally useful. Sabimuru makes very tricky sections in Fountainhead Palace a cakewalk, for example. I think that's deliberate, though I'm not sure it works. The firecrackers and the umbrella are almost always useful, and a giant crutch if you aren't gonna git gud. The latter in particular is incredibly powerful when combined with Projected Force. 

What you probably want is more prosethics to be more generally useful, so you can come up with different tactics. 

7 minutes ago, kensei said:

What you probably want is more prosethics to be more generally useful, so you can come up with different tactics

Yeah, that’s probably it. I hadn’t actually thought through what’d happen if you had unlimited usage. :lol:

I know they can be useful in a lot of different situations, but they do feel a bit detached (sorry!) from the game though somehow. There’s probably too many variants and it would have been better to focus on less overall, but more useful in a number of different situations.

I think it’s something the can really refine if they do a Sekiro 2.