rllmuk
Uzi

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

1 hour ago, petrolgirls said:

Nicely played. My final fight against him was much more ragged than that in his final stage which was annoying as I'd done his first two stages reasonably tight. When he killed me with only a slither of his poise left I seriously considered not using my revive so I could get a more aesthetically pleasing kill. Came to my senses though.

Edit: for reference

Reveal hidden contents

Nice! You jump loads more than I do. Are there any decent jumping strikes, or is it just to dodge attacks?

Just now, K said:

Nice! You jump loads more than I do. Are there any decent jumping strikes, or is it just to dodge attacks?

Hah, in truth I'm mostly jumping beyond him to avoid the lightning strike as at that point I hadn't figured out the lightning reversal properly. I thought you had to fire it back at him when your feet touched the ground which resulted in me getting hit roughly half the time. Jumping in against some bosses is very useful though and can do a tonne of posture damage. 

1 hour ago, Qazimod said:

Just watched your final victory @BadgerFarmer - it's ace. I get the feeling your approach was similar to mine - play smart and learn the openings rather than going ham - and it looked like by this time you'd figured out the entire movesets and how best to avoid or punish most things... which is where I ended up getting to after countless deaths. :blush: 

Well sort of. Just not so much figured out as consulted a guide, at least for phases 3 and 4. I honestly didn't have that much patience. But a win's a win...  Even then you can see I'm basically getting the hang of the lightning attacks during the fight. By the end I think I had it.

First time through this and I was really enjoying exploring all the areas and resenting the boss battles.

Now I've done it all once, I'm finding the areas a bit pointless and really only playing it for the bosses.

Having done the normal ending and the Shura ending, the only boss I haven't done now is OF, but I don't think I can be bothered to get all the way there again. 

I finally got back into this over the last week or so after a break of around a month, due to work commitments and getting stuck on Genichiro.

For the last few nights I’ve been exhausting every other route available to me, getting up to the master of Senpou Temple in one direction and to a locked door right after Giraffe in another. It seems my only way forward now is to go back and face Genichiro, so I’ve spent the last few nights slowly plugging away at him.

Is that right? I’m guessing beating him will give me the key for the locked door, although I’m not sure how it’ll affect the other route as that seemed like a complete dead end.

Anyway, I’m consistently getting to Genichiro’s second phase now, but I’m struggling with the lightning reversal. How do I do it? I’m repeatedly tapping RB when I’m in the air after his lightning attack, but I can’t seem to get it to work and always get stunned when I land. What’s the best way to do it?

I’ve really enjoyed this last week of exploring these routes and I’m glad I didn’t start again, but he’s really starting to piss me off. Help me get past this roadblock RLLMUK!

35 minutes ago, Dr Derek Doctors said:

Don't repeatedly tap RB when you're in the air, tap it once *just* as you're about to land.

Tap and hold as you hit the ground or just a tap and release?

Right, got it. Quick tap and release just before I land. I'll give it a go later. Thanks fellas.

My best advice for that phase is probably “jump later than you feel you want to”... I often jumped way too soon, then I’d already landed before the lightning hit me... :blush: 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

My best advice for that phase is probably “jump later than you feel you want to”... I often jumped way too soon, then I’d already landed before the lightning hit me... :blush: 

Yeah, that’s what I’ve been doing I think. I’m slowly getting his timings down now though, so hopefully I’ll take him out soon.

I’ve actually found another technique, where you can bait him into doing his uncounterable (is that not even a word?) attack, jump past it, then get a quick couple of hits in. It takes ages though and I always inevitably mess up and get battered.

I’m thinking the lightning reversal is the best tactic, but I just need to learn it.

I really dig the Puppeteer ninjitsu. I wasted a mini boss last week by taking an enemy into the fight that was taken over. I eventually had to kill the boss myself, but he took a pretty big chunk of health away and it was pretty damn cool to watch him jump-kick the boss into his face.

3 hours ago, Dr Derek Doctors said:

Don't repeatedly tap RB when you're in the air, tap it once *just* as you're about to land.

This is really bad advice. 

@JPL you will be jumping too early. Jump as late as possible, then mash R1.

You can also use L1 to guard midair (presuming you bought the skill), and then press R1 which is slightly quicker. 

• Upvote 3

It helped me to watch for his silhouette as he jumped, and wait with my jump until he was on his way down. Then release the charge on the way down from my jump, before I hit the ground, as he would be grounded by then.

Try and time it so you get hit by the lightning at the top of your jump, then immediately mash R1. Don't leave it too late because there's an animation your character performs and it won't complete if you're too close to the ground.

• Upvote 2

Finally claimed the platinum a couple of nights ago. My NG+3 (I think... maybe +4) playthrough gave me the final skill points that I needed, and somehow, despite playing this for two months now, I still love pretty much every minute of it. I suppose the fact that it took a good fortnight to get fully into the swing of the combat and shed all of my Soulsborne habits has extended the lifetime a bit.

Here's

Spoiler

Owl Dad going down on NG+3ish. About 1.5 phases of ass kicking, a bit of a wobble when he max'd my posture, but the ol' dragon blood saw me through. I haven't finished many boss fights without using a healing item!

• Upvote 2

@hmm, when you're parrying his blows there, it looks like you're spamming the parry button and it works out. I've not got anywhere near Owl yet, but I never seem to have much luck spamming parry even on easier enemies, so I was just wondering if it's a viable technique.

Also, I beat Genichiro earlier. At last! I went and did the Folding Screen Monkeys, which was fun but a bit too simple, with all the clues everywhere. The problem is, because I'd exhausted all avenues, I'm immediately back into a boss battle with Guardian Ape. Any tips, other than firecrackers? He's way too erratic for me to get a read on him at the moment.

Um, so... I don't think so. But you have to bear in mind that parrying in this is mostly instinct and muscle memory and so it's kind of hard to say definitively. I think it's some combination of a) sometimes I know the rhythm of the attack perfectly well, but I have a habit of doing 3 parries instead of 2 or whatever, b) I was anticipating something that he didn't do, or c) my L1 seems to be a bit buggered and sometimes toggles when I'm holding it. Just spamming the parry can be semi-effective but I reckon that by the time you're on NG+a few, screwing up parries is far worse than just blocking them because the punishment is so great when you mistime it. I think OF had 2 or 3 attacks that were one-shot kills by this time around. (Of course, Kuro's Charm alters this equation, but I haven't tried a playthrough without that yet.)

As others have said upthread, mostly it's just a case of knowing the fight well enough that you can be incredibly aggressive, and actually at that point it can get pretty easy because you suppress or interrupt half of their attacks. The stakes are fairly high, because again you can be punished extremely harshly if you fuck it up and you're right next to them, but it's very rewarding when you get it right.

(But also, take all of this with an enormous portion of salt, because I am really no expert. I went about 3 minutes without getting hit in this fight, maybe, whereas there are several people now that have completed the entire game without taking damage.)

That all makes sense to be fair. I just need to get used to spending a long time learning all the bosses moves, being as shit as I am at it!

I agree about it being rewarding as well. Beating Genichiro earlier was a brilliant feeling.

Finally beat the game. I'm LTTP due to too much work and some strain injuries, but thankfully it didn't took too long to learn the final boss. What a great boss though, certainly much more of a challenge than Gwyn and Gherman. He basically demands that you play the game like Sekiro, not Souls. Filling posture by getting you parries down, keeping the pressure on and nailing the Mikiri counters and lightning reversals.

Awesome game that felt like a breath of fresh air from From with the new combat and traversal mechanics, the new setting and the more vertical level design. I really hope we'll get some DLC later this year.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, JPL said:

@hmm, when you're parrying his blows there, it looks like you're spamming the parry button and it works out. I've not got anywhere near Owl yet, but I never seem to have much luck spamming parry even on easier enemies, so I was just wondering if it's a viable technique.

Also, I beat Genichiro earlier. At last! I went and did the Folding Screen Monkeys, which was fun but a bit too simple, with all the clues everywhere. The problem is, because I'd exhausted all avenues, I'm immediately back into a boss battle with Guardian Ape. Any tips, other than firecrackers? He's way too erratic for me to get a read on him at the moment.

Trick with Guardian Ape is to stay at medium distance and punish his long range attacks. If he jumps at you, run towards and underneath him and get several hits in. Dodge his jumping grab by circling and get a couple more in. Watch out for the opportunity to grapple in and get a few hits there too. Keep moving.

Phase 2 pay his 3 hit combi - if you can do the flurry too good luck to you, then when he's prone use the spear -double tap. Repeat.I

Will take longer but much easier than going to to toe.

Finally finished last night after some ridiculous grinding to level up my attack. Ended up going for the last boss when I hit 20 attack power.

Jesus Christ is the last boss hard. I have no idea if I could do it again, as I finished him with a sliver of health that I only had due to consuming fine snow.

Don't really like how much poise he has to be honest, felt like the rules had been changed a bit.

Overall I really enjoyed it but I felt that it missed a little something. Can't put my finger on what. Outside of the boss battles I thought it was amazing and fairly easy bar some sub bosses, but some of the bosses where at the limit of my tolerance for difficulty.

My tier list is now Bloodborne>DS>DS3> Demon Souls> DS2 SotFS> Sekiro. 

• Upvote 2

Hah the rest I've played through multiple times so that may shift!

I'm one of the oddities with DS2!

I fucking loved Sekiro though! 

Interestingly with 20 attack power you can one shot most enemies on NG+ and the bosses up to Horse Dude have gone down in seconds...

Ive still got a DS2 save I need to finish, I thought it was a great game coming in after Demons Souls as my only previous experience with From games, but still too tough for me at the time and I abandoned it at the Ruin Sentinels.

Yeah the bosses are pretty easy in the ng+ games, but the end fights are tough(er) each time mostly because of the nerf to posture regen. Ishin of Ashina was tricky at ng3+, I would have done that the first time through if Id known.

22 hours ago, El Spatula said:

Overall I really enjoyed it but I felt that it missed a little something. Can't put my finger on what.

I'd say it's missing the bits between the bosses. The combat system is magnificent and the bosses (so far anyway, just killed Guardian Ape) have been brilliant fun so far, but I would love it if the game had more sections where you have to use that combat system to progress through some intricate section of level. There are a couple of bits that do that pretty well, like the run up that autumnal mountainside temple, but for the most part, the between-bosses sequences are a bit perfunctory. There should have been a few sections that served the same role as Sen's Fortress or Anor Londo - challenging, lengthy, beautiful gauntlets that you have to learn and master, in the same way that you have to master the bosses.

Part of the problem is that you're so mobile, so lethal, and that the AI is so rubbish, so you can just run or grapple your way through the levels, but even then, it feels like they could have done more with the environment and the standard enemies. Given how incredible the game is, it's a bit scary thinking about how good it would be if the levels were a bit longer and more complex.

• Upvote 2

I burned about 300 emblems on that fucking ape, so it must have taken me about 20 attempts. The way I did it was to take a week off; I came back, decided to have a quick shot before bedtime to keep my eye in, and then killed him first time (i.e. the twentieth time).

To be honest, the main factor in defeating him was him not doing that kanji attack where he rolls towards you and grabs you. I must have dodged that about twice ever, it seems nearly impossible to avoid.