Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Uzi

I've absolutely loved my time with this, but I am seriously considering packing it in at the final boss. I'm making progress, but Jesus Christ it's slow, and I'm just not sure what I'll feel after beating him other than relieved. Of the 4(!) stages I've got the first two down; managed them both using just one gourd last night; but the third destroys me everytime.

I've much preferred the toe-to-toe, clash of steel, human bosses in this. Sekiro is at it's best when it's being Sekiro. Lady B, GenA and GSO may be three of my favourite bosses in anything, ever. So I should be enjoying it, but I'm not sure I am. It takes so fucking long to have a go and then lose in the space of ten seconds.

It's slowly driving me round the fucking bend. Is this how I want to spend my evenings? Not sure it is. 

31 minutes ago, Jolly said:

I've absolutely loved my time with this, but I am seriously considering packing it in at the final boss. I'm making progress, but Jesus Christ it's slow, and I'm just not sure what I'll feel after beating him other than relieved. Of the 4(!) stages I've got the first two down; managed them both using just one gourd last night; but the third destroys me everytime.

I've much preferred the toe-to-toe, clash of steel, human bosses in this. Sekiro is at it's best when it's being Sekiro. Lady B, GenA and GSO may be three of my favourite bosses in anything, ever. So I should be enjoying it, but I'm not sure I am. It takes so fucking long to have a go and then lose in the space of ten seconds.

It's slowly driving me round the fucking bend. Is this how I want to spend my evenings? Not sure it is. 

4th phase is easier then the third if that helps... You're nearly there!

@Jolly I felt exactly the same. I would have a look at the git gud video guide. Here's what made phase 3 doable for me:

Spoiler

For his big leap attack, don't parry it, dodge under it. You can get in a couple of hits. For me that tipped the balance and I started to break him down in that phase. Final phase is all about the lightening. Once you have the timing of that down a few hits and he should be toast.

1 minute ago, Jolly said:

Haha, unbelievable. So after probably 60+ attempts I got him to the final stage tonight. It's back on. Sorry about the wobble, lads. 

You got this.

It was a real breakthrough when I made it there too - even though there was a whole lot more to do I had this sense of "maybe that bit isn't impossible after all" :) 

I decided last night that I needed to beat the final boss. Played for over an hour and had the first 2 phases consistently down, but kep getting done on the 3rd.

So I watched a video of someone else doing it then went back this morning. After about half an hour I did it.

There. Screw you. Sekiro.

Just the last boss left. I dont know if I even want to. 4 fucking health bars. This isn't going to be me gracefully parrying him either, it going to be me running about the gigantic arena, baiting one of the attacks I can punish and chipping him out. It'll be tedious, I don't know if I can face it. 

DD down on first attempt. Decided to have a final explore before the end. Turns out that I managed to miss GSO-F due to not eavesdropping at the correct time :/ (had to look it up).

Found Guape 2, DoH etc but decided that I couldn't be arsed fighting them. Went to final boss instead and after a few attempts, again I decided that I just don't have the will or the patience anymore and quit.

So, I think I'm done with Sekiro. It's not that I haven't enjoyed it, I have. I've enjoyed it immensely in fact. It just doesn't have the draw for me compared to the other Soulsborne games. The lack of choice in your play style meant that it started to get too repetitive. I loved all the areas where you can explore and fight and rinse and how they all connect but way too many mini-bosses and gimmick fights for me. There's nothing drawing me back to the game.

Part of the reason could be because I bought on PS4. I can't play on PS4 as easily as I can on PC so I can't quickly dip in for a few attempts. I'll hang on to the disc to see what, if any DLC is released but for now, I'm done

1 hour ago, kensei said:

Just the last boss left. I dont know if I even want to. 4 fucking health bars. This isn't going to be me gracefully parrying him either, it going to be me running about the gigantic arena, baiting one of the attacks I can punish and chipping him out. It'll be tedious, I don't know if I can face it. 

I did the chipping him out and it taking ages after millions of goes on my first run. On subsequent plays being aggressive and learning the parry timings massively reduces the time taken overall and is more rewarding in my opinion.

29 minutes ago, DC said:

I did the chipping him out and it taking ages after millions of goes on my first run. On subsequent plays being aggressive and learning the parry timings massively reduces the time taken overall and is more rewarding in my opinion.

I went toe to toe with Lady Butterfly and Genichiro and must have taken at least 150 and 4-5 days of my limited gaming sessions attempts between them. I'm sure it's wonderful being able to read them and react, but I'm not just going to do it that way. Chipping them out is doable on timescales and frustration scales that I can contemplate. Toe to toe is not. 

Following Tyrannicon's strategg offa YouTube, got through the first three stages. Every mistake costs painful amount of damage though, so I'm not in a good state by the last stage. I can probably get better enough to do it - though seriously stage 2 what the actual fuck - and it takes soooooo long to get through. 

Camera spazz is also a problem. Every enemy that does big jumps in this game has fucked me at some point by causing the camera to go nuts and breaking lock.

Done, leading me to yell 'Eaaaaaaaatttt Iiiiittttt' at the death blow. That second stage was an absolute ballache, even with instructions on how to bait the attacks you wanted. The range on him. Four stages can also do one. Still nothing on Genichiro, which is the nastiest boss I've ever played. 

Solid 8/10 of ten for me. Think I said it elsewhere here, but it feels like a v1 and it could be refined and stripped of a lot more of its DS heritage. For all the hype about the resurrection in the initial reveal, it was basically useless as a mechanic - there's never really any point in not reviving. Doesn't help with Dragon Rot. Doesn't save your stuff. Doesn't take or grant bonuses. It's a mild extra insurance in the event of getting careless and no more. Prosethic feels undeveloped too, as much a sit was a crutch that helped me through. Loved the world, though not quite at BB or original DS levels. 

Took a bit of a break, not sure if I could be bothered to get the last all-skills trophy, but decided that a NG+3 playthrough might be in order, which will provide most of the other skill points as a side effect. Blazing through the opening stages remains a huge amount of fun - for once I can even see the appeal in speed runs - and this is, of course, not least because the emotional trauma from my original attempts at it is still fresh.

Before I could get on with that, there was the small matter of a NG+2 battle with GWoT+ItSS. I didn't really struggle with them too much at all on NG or NG+1 but some combination of rustiness and the even greater level of punishment for any mistakes meant it took a good few tries this time. I was pretty happy with the final result though:

Spoiler

Phases 1, 2 and 4 were pretty much spot on. Phase 3 got annoyingly shaky in the second half, with a completely unnecessary death, but I reckon ol' Isshin was regretting his life choices by the end of it, even so.

Somehow I then carried that momentum on all the way up to the first Ashina Elite before succumbing to a death, which again is in rather stark contrast to my very first attempts at these areas.

TL;DR: I'm going to be playing this game forever.

Came home pissed on Friday night and started NG+. Beat Genichiro but he chopped my arm off anyway.

It’s not as good as the first time around. The fear, the existential dread, the not knowing what’s going to happen when you get to a new area. Still, beating bosses first time around is pretty great and Sekiro is definitely one of the best games ever made. Currently it’s sits around 2 or 3, after Zelda BotW and either before or after Smash Ultimate.

Yeah, my NG+3 playthrough was, for some reason, the first time I best Geni in that first encounter, despite how well I know his moveset, and I was a bit miffed by the way that it then turned out! I mean, the arm situation has to come about one way or another, I suppose, but I think I was hoping for an alternate storyline involving some kind of tragic industrial accident if he didn't manage to get the better of you.

I beat him on NG+ and overall I'm really enjoying the early stages again. All those bits I took ages on first time round, carefully stealth killing guards around mini-bosses etc. It's great fun to just charge in now, get the guards out the way quickly then take on the mini-bosses face to face for both deathblows. It's clear now that I had absolutely no idea what I was doing when I started.

TBH I've had a similar experience with all From games - I don't full enjoy them until I've played through once and learned how to do everything. But the sense of the unknown and discovery in the first run is too good to just rush through. 

5 hours ago, hmm said:

I was pretty happy with the final result though:

Hide contents

Phases 1, 2 and 4 were pretty much spot on. Phase 3 got annoyingly shaky in the second half, with a completely unnecessary death, but I reckon ol' Isshin was regretting his life choices by the end of it, even so.

I really wish I'd recorded how I did it in comparison. 

Spoiler

Legging it away from Genichiro and waiting to bait the jump attack so I could get a couple of hits in. Him sometimes not playing ball and chasing me around like a badly animated Benny Hill until I hit him and redid the cycle. Misjudging the distance on the jump attack and getting hit for good measure. Pellets only this round, though. 

Similar with Issin, running faaaaaaaaar away and then baiting either the Ashina cross or triple attack and getting fucked every single time he did the other one where he almost teleports. Stage 3 and 4 umbrella abuse and the camera spazzing out at him jumping and me framing out and running whatever direction I could find. Falling off the edge once. Whacking on sugars and divine confetti to try and get a slight edge. 

I'd post the Tyrannicon video, but he's competent at it, whereas I gave a proper full on inept panicky vibe every time I done fucked up. 

Still, a win's a win. 

I'm not normally one to boast, but I am pretty pleased with my performance here:

It's not perfect - I get my guard broken at one point, I fuck up a lightning reverse and only get away with it through sheer fluke, and you can see me nervously spamming guard as he winds up his flurry attack - but man, I'm pleased with just how fucking relentless I am here. I don't give the dude a second to gather his thoughts, I'm right up in his grill with my chib, stabbing mans up. Battered in less than sixty seconds!

Ignore the typo in the title, that's deliberate.

Nicely played. My final fight against him was much more ragged than that in his final stage which was annoying as I'd done his first two stages reasonably tight. When he killed me with only a slither of his poise left I seriously considered not using my revive so I could get a more aesthetically pleasing kill. Came to my senses though.

Edit: for reference

Spoiler

Just watched your final victory @BadgerFarmer - it's ace. I get the feeling your approach was similar to mine - play smart and learn the openings rather than going ham - and it looked like by this time you'd figured out the entire movesets and how best to avoid or punish most things... which is where I ended up getting to after countless deaths. :blush: 

Like I said before, it's the ultimate fighting game training mode, but your opponent has the kind of damage output and movelist variety that would make SNK think "that's a bit much"... ;) 

Finished up my NG+ run earlier in the week and think I've had my fill. Last boss I found really tough even with all my experience and powered up Wolf.

Not going to bother playing through another 2 times (well, 1 and ¾) for the other 2 endings, which is a shame as there are a couple bosses unique to one route, and I still have 22 more skill points to go for the final few combat arts.