Jump to content

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice


Uzi
 Share

Recommended Posts

It turns out a new game with no kuro's charm and the demon bell is really hard! Anyone else attempting it?

 

I really had trouble even with General Tenzen. At the beginning, when you've got not much health and not many heals it's so punishing! Really not much room for error. Take a hit? Need to heal. Blocked three or four hits? Need to heal. Shit, now you're out of heals. Mistimed a deflect? Dead.

 

It feels like your first go through again. On my ng+ playthroughs I was used to just pissing through Gyoubu for example like he wasn't nuthin'. But this time it took me a good 10 attempts.

 

Recommended if you've played through multiple times and want to feel like your first go through again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, dug said:

It turns out a new game with no kuro's charm and the demon bell is really hard! Anyone else attempting it?

 

I really had trouble even with General Tenzen. At the beginning, when you've got not much health and not many heals it's so punishing! Really not much room for error. Take a hit? Need to heal. Blocked three or four hits? Need to heal. Shit, now you're out of heals. Mistimed a deflect? Dead.

 

It feels like your first go through again. On my ng+ playthroughs I was used to just pissing through Gyoubu for example like he wasn't nuthin'. But this time it took me a good 10 attempts.

 

 Recommended if you've played through multiple times and want to feel like your first go through again.

Yeah I started a playthrough like that before I moved from yarred to legit Steam copy - it's great!!

 

I've nearly finished my first playthrough since buying it on PC - I think I've done as much as I can, I have two upgrades left (presume the top materials can only be obtained in NG+ now), and I finally worked out what to do with the serpent hearts etc, so god knows what my ending is going to be like!! (I got the 'severance' ending previously).

 

Am currently on a work conf call, thought I'd have a go at ISS at the same time.  Nearly did him on my first go!!  :wub: I'VE COME SO FAR :wub:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, robdood said:

presume the top materials can only be obtained in NG+ now), 

Yep, there are six lapis lazulis available per run, so only enough for two top tier upgrades.

 

13 minutes ago, robdood said:

 

 

Am currently on a work conf call, thought I'd have a go at ISS at the same time.  Nearly did him on my first go!!  :wub: I'VE COME SO FAR :wub:

 

Good work!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, dug said:

Good work!

I was pleased! Here's a clip.  I replaced the audio (nobody needs to hear my work call, lol) with music but the music got muted by Twitch :(

 

Spoiler

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice video @robdood - awesome work on that posture damage. :) 

 

Looking at most videos, I don't think I had nearly as many gourds/lifebar upgrades as other players, which probably explains why ISS would kill me so easily, and why I eventually resorted to learning the moveset and waiting for the openings. However, I do enjoy the gamble of knowing when to stop playing safe and start taking advantage of the better posture damage. :D 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, robdood said:

I was pleased! Here's a clip.  I replaced the audio (nobody needs to hear my work call, lol) with music but the music got muted by Twitch :(

 

  Reveal hidden contents

 

 

 

I hope you remembered to mute yourself. It would be unfortunate to shout "fucking CUUUUUNT!" as Jeremy was going through the quarterly finance report.

 

Also, good fight. I can only really compare to how I do that fight, I'd say the first two phases you pretty much do it the same way as I would except for is that High Monk you do in the first phase to punish the sweeps? I need to get in on that action! The third phase though, you're more aggressive than I would be. I tend to hang back and bait his jumping slam attack and then punish with a couple of hits until he's down to about half health, before going up close and working on his posture. Not that I'm saying either way is better, you understand, just comparing our techniques. And I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who has problems with his jump-backwards-and-sweep attack; I cannot get the the deflect timing down for that one. Hits me every bloody time!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dug said:

 

I hope you remembered to mute yourself. It would be unfortunate to shout "fucking CUUUUUNT!" as Jeremy was going through the quarterly finance report.

 

Also, good fight. I can only really compare to how I do that fight, I'd say the first two phases you pretty much do it the same way as I would except for is that High Monk you do in the first phase to punish the sweeps? I need to get in on that action! The third phase though, you're more aggressive than I would be. I tend to hang back and bait his jumping slam attack and then punish with a couple of hits until he's down to about half health, before going up close and working on his posture. Not that I'm saying either way is better, you understand, just comparing our techniques. And I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who has problems with his jump-backwards-and-sweep attack; I cannot get the the deflect timing down for that one. Hits me every bloody time!

Yes it's high monk!  Best move in the game for me.  It wrecks almost everything, the string that comes after is so fast, can't be deflected, and can stop a lot of retaliatory attacks. :D

 

I fight the final stage just like the one before tbh, and just get ready to deal with the lightning.   Hanging back just gives him too much chance to ruin me tbh. 

 

I was dicking about a bit with the sweep attack, I saw some dude use the headstomp to totally avoid it but it just didn't want to work for me!!  Normally I'd just firecracker him!! ..or ichimonji works well, too - high monk might work, as well, need to experiment. 

 

..but I can't experiment because I just hopped on for a second go and beat him :D:D:D

 

Video encoding.  Somehow I managed to not even record the game audio this time, whoops!   Had the best phase zero, man.  Still fucked up the headstomp a bunch. Got a sick perfect parry on the big sweep (by accident, lol).  But he was no big deal.  This game, best sense of mastery & learning From have manged yet.  :wub:

 

Also, the ending I got was neat, and a lot less bleak than the first one.  I like that you can choose which 'things' to use, so you can still basically do any ending you want.  

 

I really want a Seki 2 that follows on from the Dragon Return ending!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, I agree about a sequel. I initially thought that might be what they do for dlc, but after thinking about it, I reckon new memory bells will be more likely. One where we meet Dogen, and one where we meet Tomoe, maybe?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's the fight.  With some nice (if ill-fitting) music by the excellent Pretty Lights (never gets copyright claimed since it's all free at his website)

 

Watch out for the High Monk posture damage in phase zero! 

 

Spoiler

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, dug said:

Yes, I agree about a sequel. I initially thought that might be what they do for dlc, but after thinking about it, I reckon new memory bells will be more likely. One where we meet Dogen, and one where we meet Tomoe, maybe?

Yeah for sure.  I'd really love to play as the Sculptor tbh.  :wub:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Qazimod said:

Nice video @robdood - awesome work on that posture damage. :) 

 

Looking at most videos, I don't think I had nearly as many gourds/lifebar upgrades as other players, which probably explains why ISS would kill me so easily, and why I eventually resorted to learning the moveset and waiting for the openings. However, I do enjoy the gamble of knowing when to stop playing safe and start taking advantage of the better posture damage. :D 

Thanks man.  You gotta bear in mind, this was my second NG so I was being super thorough in terms of trying to find everything!! On my first time through, I think I had 8 gourds and 8 necklaces. 

 

Funny what you say about stopping playing safe and going for posture damage..   Only because I've never thought of the game that way.  I always just get stuck in, I don't even really look at the health/posture meters!  I never even use the 'hold block to recover posture' thing!!  Perhaps subsequent NG+'s and losing the charm / etc will change that!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, robdood said:

Funny what you say about stopping playing safe and going for posture damage..   Only because I've never thought of the game that way.  I always just get stuck in, I don't even really look at the health/posture meters!  I never even use the 'hold block to recover posture' thing!!  Perhaps subsequent NG+'s and losing the charm / etc will change that!

 

I think there are the players who can do everything on reaction and beast, and there are people like me who die a lot, but eventually get through by breaking an individual battle down into a science - beating their head against an encounter until they figure out the safe spots, the windows of opportunities, the cooldowns. I was talking about Sekiro elsewhere yesterday and I made the comparison to fighting game mentality - I love Arcsys and Capcom games even more than From ones, and a big part of competitive play is learning character matchups: getting destroyed by an opponent, going into training mode, finding out what killed you and learning how to stop it. And some of that applies to games like this. I don't exaggerate when I talk about making shorthand notes (if only via forum rants) about boss attack strings - when I'm attempting an encounter as often as I did with ISS I need to take my previous experience with me! :) 

 

It's a credit to Sekiro that both play styles are viable - hesitation may be defeat, but patience can result in success eventually.

 

EDIT: having said that, I often forgot about holding block because I'm so used to other From games training me to stop defending and regain stamina/endurance :blush: 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, robdood said:

Here's the fight.  With some nice (if ill-fitting) music by the excellent Pretty Lights (never gets copyright claimed since it's all free at his website)

 

Watch out for the High Monk posture damage in phase zero! 

 

  Hide contents

 

 

 

Nicely done in the sword phase

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Qazimod said:

I was talking about Sekiro elsewhere yesterday and I made the comparison to fighting game mentality - I love Arcsys and Capcom games even more than From ones, and a big part of competitive play is learning character matchups: getting destroyed by an opponent, going into training mode, finding out what killed you and learning how to stop it

 

Sekiro reminds me of bit of Soulcalibur. A similar block/parry mechanic, rotating around your opponent is often crucial, Sekiro himself looks like Mitsurugi and his Ichimonji is just like Mitsurugi's overhead strike. A successful deflect results in concentric circles emanating from your weapon just like Guard Impact does in SC. They've even got little Voldo's scuttling around. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Swishyman Warrior II: Even more dead! 

 

Chained Ogre II: Burned tae fuck! 

 

Oreo of the WTF: Pwned! 

 

Spoiler

Ha ha fuck no I ran around her and chipped her out using Phantom Kunai and punishing her two sword attack that leaves her wide open because she's not much health. 

 

I did try deflecting her for a few times, but got very very quickly swish kebabbed every time. 

 

Big Bird: Still unresolved daddy issues

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm at the following. How far am I from the end?

Spoiler

 

Demon of Hatred in one direction

Seven Ashina Spears redux (with his little mate) in the other

 

 

I feel like I'm almost done. I'm starting to tire of it a little - when I saw DoH I was turned around and went the other way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Hylian said:

You can go straight to the last boss if you want.

Okay. I feel like I need to deal with DoH now I've fought my way to him. I got the impression that SAS was blocking the critical path though? Don't tell me! I'm quite looking forward to fighting him again if I can find a reliable way to deal with the regular samurai quickly first.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Took out 

 

Spoiler

One of the headless dudes. The lazilite umbrella should have made this trivial but terror is an exceedingly annoying status ailment, and dear god that grab attack is infuriating, even when you know its coming. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Any strategies for Demon of Hatred phase 2? I got the hang of phase one: stay on close, get ready to block leg stomps, run under napalm and jump when he jumps then grapple when he lands. 

 

Phase 2 he does this carpet bomb this that I just can’t avoid. Do I just have to prevent him from doing it by staying close? That move is also stopping me from figuring out the rest of phase 2. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Pob said:

Any strategies for Demon of Hatred phase 2? I got the hang of phase one: stay on close, get ready to block leg stomps, run under napalm and jump when he jumps then grapple when he lands. 

 

Phase 2 he does this carpet bomb this that I just can’t avoid. Do I just have to prevent him from doing it by staying close? That move is also stopping me from figuring out the rest of phase 2. 

Its a bit counter intuitive, but.. 

Spoiler

When you see its particular wind up animation, run backwards and to the left, jump when the fire comes, you should see a grapple point appear on him. Grapple! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, robdood said:

Its a bit counter intuitive, but.. 

  Reveal hidden contents

 

Cheers. For the first time since the start of the game I’m not sure I have the willpower to continue. Three health bars is just demoralising. And four stages for Sword Saint.

 

That said I went from feeling defeated at the very sight of Demon of Hatred to getting the hang of his first phase pretty quickly so maybe it won’t be too bad. Might look up some YouTube guides. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

DoH:

 

Spoiler

The suzaku umbrella can help a lot in this fight. It shields you from all his fire attacks and you can tank his body slam then punish with a cross slash. 

 

For phase 2: jump left as soon as you see the windup > grapple > punish.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.