rllmuk
Uzi

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

On 10/06/2018 at 22:48, robdood said:

What looked interesting was the camera position during combat. Looked almost fixed, a bit like God Hand / Resident Evil 4.  

I am sad there's no way to make the camera more like the original trailers, it looks intense as fuck with a more 'over the shoulder' feel!

4 minutes ago, robdood said:

I am sad there's no way to make the camera more like the original trailers, it looks intense as fuck with a more 'over the shoulder' feel!

I'm glad they changed it, for all its qualities God of War suffers from Kratos taking up too much of the screen.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, robdood said:

Dusted O(F), contender for my top most satisfying boss to learn along with Genichiro and ISS.  This fucking game, man!

What were your tactics? I’m on my first run through. So far I’m:

Spoiler

Basically legging it around him, trying to bait his leaping attack or double slice attack so I can get a couple of hits in. Rinse and repeat, hopefully. 

I always seem to misjudge the distance distance a few times though and he wallops me. 

36 minutes ago, Timmo said:

I'm glad they changed it, for all its qualities God of War suffers from Kratos taking up too much of the screen.

Oh for sure!! But it wasn't quite as intense as GoW!

14 minutes ago, joemul said:

What were your tactics? I’m on my first run through. So far I’m:

Reveal hidden contents

Basically legging it around him, trying to bait his leaping attack or double slice attack so I can get a couple of hits in. Rinse and repeat, hopefully. 

I always seem to misjudge the distance distance a few times though and he wallops me. 

As usual, GET IN HIS FACE.  Stop waiting/trying to bait attacks!! :D

Spoiler
  • You're basically always safe to do two swings/hits even if he's blocking; be ready to parry his next attack, if you land it well, you are safe to hit again
  • Learn when the firecrackers are coming, dodge back to avoid them
  • After his firecrackers, either block the large slash or get ready for a mikiri if he jumps far back
  • When he does the skip left/right thing over and over, hit him!
  • After you dodge a sweep-type attack, and he does the big overhead thing, hit a couple of times then sidestep, and hit him a few more times.  If you sidestep too soon, he'll change his attack, so parry in that case!
  • If you need to heal, run close and firecracker him
  • If there's any point where you're both doing nothing, ATTACK. Basically you want to always be attacking to make him deflect you, interupt his moves, or trade damage
  • If he jumps backwards, CHASE HIM
  • Don't accidentally do hold R1 / stab move

Have you reached phase two yet?  It's epic. 

I managed to get first deathblow when he was on about 50% health once I had first phase consistent. 

Second phase is, despite initial appearance, very similar.  There's a few new moves to learn, but they are mainly things you want to dodge successfully, then get back to phase 1 tactics.  It took me about 3 or 4 goes of reaching phase 2 before he fell, so once you've got the first phase, you should crack the second pretty quickly. 

Took a break from ISS to go exploring as I still have a bunch of prosthetics and skills I haven't obtained. And now I have

Spoiler

an umbrella! :wub: 

It looks awesome in use, and I've recently spent time going through its upgrade tree...

EDIT: okay, this thing's quite useful for doing damage to ISS's second phase (my current brick wall) - I do know of other windows where I can get a hit in, so I may see if I can use those windows for standard sword swings and then finish off the second phase with my new toy...

Just watched this, found it quite interesting, talks a bit about how brains work and how the difficulty in Sekiro works with that. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, robdood said:

Just going back over the thread. 

I'm sorry man :(

Thanks man. I know I’ll come back to it one day. But not yet. Not yet.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, robdood said:

BTW, DoH is the worst / least fun boss in the game. 

I genuinely didn’t find him too bad. Some ass hit boxes but I’ve struggled with other bosses loads more. He’s the most Dark Souls Sekiro boss though.

23 minutes ago, DC said:

I genuinely didn’t find him too bad. Some ass hit boxes but I’ve struggled with other bosses loads more. He’s the most Dark Souls Sekiro boss though.

Yeah I just dusted him, first time I got to final phase he went down!  I think I was frustrated because I seemed to get some inconsistencies with avoiding some of the attacks which annoyed me, think its cos of the area you fight in. Eg, I though I could just sprint left/right to avoid a particular move, but then it wouldn't work 100% 

Still, he's the worst boss purely because its so difficult to read / see what the hell is going on.

Spoiler

Fucking From and their giant hair physics, man!!

1 hour ago, robdood said:

BTW, DoH is the worst / least fun boss in the game. 

I love DoH! I can confidently get him down now without losing a life, and beat him on NG+++ without getting hit! That's not a boast, I just genuinely think people might be coming at him a bit wrong...

Spoiler

You should not be parrying or blocking anything. His fire chip damage is too high and like you say, he is too unpredictable. Never let go of Circle and be running at all times. The arena's bloody huge for a reason. You want to be nipping in and out like an annoying mosquito, baiting his long range attacks so that you can run in and smack his bottom. Always make the most of the grapple opportunities too. He has a three swing slam that is he likes to use and is easy to punish. I find it a really fun and kinetic fight this way. Reminds me a bit of Headless Bloodletting Beast from Bloodborne. All dodging and fury and whupp'n.

• Upvote 2

Hehe, that's exactly how I did it! I just felt it was at odds with like, the entire rest of the game, and reminded me how little I enjoyed Soulsborne 'big' bosses pre-sekiro :(

Was still pretty decent, mind. Better than most bosses in all other games. 

Mr and Mrs done. Easier than I thought it would be, as Mrs has so little health. And Mr is pretty easy once you get down the parry to

Spoiler

Pull the centipede out. 

Definitely due a kicking soon. Saw a

Spoiler

Headless fucker

And just noped out of that

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, robdood said:

Hehe, that's exactly how I did it! I just felt it was at odds with like, the entire rest of the game, and reminded me how little I enjoyed Soulsborne 'big' bosses pre-sekiro :(

Was still pretty decent, mind. Better than most bosses in all other games. 

Yeah, it really is. I mentioned earlier in the thread that it seemed a bit weird for From to throw in an optional boss that completely disregarded all the parrying mechanics that players had honed thus far. Almost like they were chucking Souls-players a bone.

Still a fun boss fight though, and a refreshing change for me at least.

The GSO fight is great. I cheesed him first time round so was determined to go toe to toe with him on NG+. The rhythm of the fight is so satisfying: 

Spoiler

Panicked a bit at the end but pleased with this effort. If you're quick enough, I think you can interrupt a lot of his combos and finish him much faster though:

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Let us measure said:

Yeah, it really is. I mentioned earlier in the thread that it seemed a bit weird for From to throw in an optional boss that completely disregarded all the parrying mechanics that players had honed thus far. Almost like they were chucking Souls-players a bone.

Still a fun boss fight though, and a refreshing change for me at least.

The beast bosses (so far) feel a lot more Dark Souls to me in general. You can exploit the patterns much easier and chip them out on health. Parrying some attacks makes it easier, but not necessary. 

It's the human bosses and mid bosses that are absolutely destroying me. Hell, Blue Samurai can still be a challenge if I miss the Miriki. 

8 hours ago, flight said:

The GSO fight is great. I cheesed him first time round so was determined to go toe to toe with him on NG+. The rhythm of the fight is so satisfying: 

Hide contents

Panicked a bit at the end but pleased with this effort. If you're quick enough, I think you can interrupt a lot of his combos and finish him much faster though:

I did this one last night on NG and went with a very similar strategy. I like how you do really well and get him to a tiny bit of health left in 5 mins and then spend the next 3 mins finishing him off! PANIC! Glad it's not just me that does that :lol:

• Upvote 1

I had a great fight on this last night. I'd taken a few runs at this Lone Shadow sub-boss who appears after GuAp. After a prolonged fight where I'd managed to guzzle nine healing gourds and a few sugars, I backed off to regroup and he lost track of me, which means of course that he gets all his health bar back. Pissed off, I decided to just have a suicidal pop at him because I still had a resurrection:

• Upvote 7

Against my better judgment I bought this last night and am quite enjoying it, although the emblem system seems like bullshit - why discourage me from experimenting with my gear?

stupid question - when the red symbol appears for an unblockable attack, how are you suppose doing to know whether it’s a thrust, a sweep or a grab? Is it just a matter of learning the windup animation? The shinobi hunter spear guy and the General Yamauchi dude are absolutely battering me. 

7 minutes ago, K said:

Against my better judgment I bought this last night and am quite enjoying it, although the emblem system seems like bullshit - why discourage me from experimenting with my gear?

stupid question - when the red symbol appears for an unblockable attack, how are you suppose doing to know whether it’s a thrust, a sweep or a grab? Is it just a matter of learning the windup animation? The shinobi hunter spear guy and the General Yamauchi dude are absolutely battering me. 

Yeah you just need to watch the animations. 

I agree about the emblems, but this game is terrific. 

Practice parrying and deflecting. You will need it. And it makes the combat so exhilarating. 

• Upvote 1

The emblems are fine for discouraging “special move” spamming during boss battles (because it limits how much you can do it) but they suffer the same problem as BB’s vials - earning funds for them requires no skill and gets boring fast. It’d be fine to just replenish them after resting at an idol. :) 

25 minutes ago, K said:

I tend to agree but I think it's one of a number of mechanics encouraging you to make each life count. If you get used to spending all your spare Sen on spirit emblems before you go into a dicey situation (especially in the first half of the game when they're cheap) you'll always have hundreds in reserve and thus won't sweat experimentation.

The prosthetic tools add loads of variety and strategic options so you definitely want to feel flush with emblems. I wish I'd used them more in the early game as they're extremely useful in general combat.

25 minutes ago, K said:

I personally can't respond to that symbol quickly enough in a pure Bop It-style reaction challenge. It's more important to know what the move is likely to be based on spacing, what's come before and what stage the fight is at. For example the shinobi hunter will always do a thrust if he's far away from you, so you can get your brain ready to do the mikiri counter. If you're close and he's mid-combo, it'll probably be the sweep.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, flight said:

Hide contents

I'm on this guy at the moment and that was really useful to watch. The Mortal Blade does major damage! You play it ultra conservative but your reward is barely taking a hit till the end. Even though it's a shinobi dude in the Ashina dojo it's a totally different fight to Genichiro. There are no perilous attacks, but any thoughtless attacks on your part will get punished badly.

The only prosthetic I've found useful against him is Mist Raven, as if can get you out of a combo assault before your posture breaks, and you usually get a free follow-up hit. I was grinding for about 90 minutes hoping to get 2 fulminated mercury drops so I can get the Mist Raven that leaves a trail of fire but eventually I gave up with only a 1 drop. What a waste of time!

Pop the item balloon with the bell demon on and farm the normal guys at the gun fort.

@Pob

I found spacing really important for that fight. I had some success being more aggressive but tended to lose focus and get wiped out. 

If you stay around 2 metres away, it's easy to read him and react accordingly. I did OF today using the same tactics and got him down fairly easily. 

19 minutes ago, DC said:

Pop the item balloon with the bell demon on and farm the normal guys at the gun fort.

Yeah tried that too.