rllmuk
Uzi

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

1 hour ago, Mrs Horribleman said:

How are you supposed to counter Gen A's danger move in his second dot? I try jumping but half the time I still get hit. 

He can do two moves.  Look carefully!  If you see him starting to move, jump!  If not, Mikiri!  Dodging works too, but doesn't look as cool.  Or do poise damage. 

Wow, this really does open up once you get past the bull, doesn't it! 

Battling the Nightjar across the rooftops was particularly excellent I though.

• Upvote 4

GuApe is kicking my arse tonight. Which is absolutely fine. I am ok with this.

Spoiler

Mother fucking cunt ape. Stay dead you fucker.

I have no idea how his second phase works. I'm hanging on for dear life. Good fight this one!

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

I did  7Spears, ArmK, Ashina Eliter, Longsword, LongArmC yesterday. And (I think) all/most of the MtK area.

All great fun (Longsword and LAC being no damage kills :D)

GenA is a bumache now though - but I don't think I have many other routes open

Haunted Tomb on the different route before White Snake, but that seemed horrid.

The Abandoned Dungeon behind LongSword - but that mini boss Terrored me in seconds

• Upvote 1

Fextralife are in the middle of a series breaking down the prosthetic tools one by one (press the playlist button at the top left):

• Upvote 2

That's cool - I feel as though experimentation is discouraged due to the cost of using the prosthetics and also because of the punishment for dying. It is cool when you stumble across a use, though. For example I found  that the umbrella blocks Snake Eyes grab move, so I just used that whenever I saw the kanji symbol, and then used the posture-damaging follow-up move. Much more reliable than trying to dodge it, especially if you've overcommitted.

In fact, does the umbrella block all grabs? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pob said:

That's cool - I feel as though experimentation is discouraged due to the cost of using the prosthetics and also because of the punishment for dying. It is cool when you stumble across a use, though. For example I found  that the umbrella blocks Snake Eyes grab move, so I just used that whenever I saw the kanji symbol, and then used the posture-damaging follow-up move. Much more reliable than trying to dodge it, especially if you've overcommitted.

In fact, does the umbrella block all grabs? 

Snake eyes grab is a bit of a weird one, as you can deflect it! So not sure if the umbrella is working for that reason. 

It is a shame they didn't just make the emblems work the same as the gourd.. 

10 minutes ago, robdood said:

It is a shame they didn't just make the emblems work the same as the gourd.. 

Yeah. I've been spending all spare Sen on emblems since I heard they jack up in price as the game goes on and I've got coin purses up the wazoo. I'm hovering around 700 emblems at any one time which feels like a nice buffer. I just need to get round to investing skill points in the emblem carry capacity, but that's such a boring thing to upgrade.

It is stupid but I haven't found it a huge issue just by using the Bloodborne method to top up with any spare sen I have at an idol. The ceremonial tanto is useful for this too once you have a few healing gourds - I always pop it before a boss or after resting.

Had a busy week but I'm looking forward to continuing my rampage through NG+ tonight.  

I'm on what might possibly be the final boss.

Spoiler

Genichiro Tomato is easy enough,  it's St Bastard phase 2 (spear and gun) that's tearing me a new one. Enjoying it though, it's like a culmination of everything the game has taught me in one long fight.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, robdood said:

Snake eyes grab is a bit of a weird one, as you can deflect it! So not sure if the umbrella is working for that reason. 

So that 'grab' must actually be a thrust then, because the umbrella prosthetic guide in the series that @Timmo just posted said that the umbrella can deflect all thrust attacks.

Those guides are brilliant, by the way. I'm definitely going to pump up my emblem capacity and start using them more now I know how they work.

• Upvote 1

Fucking killed Genshiro!!!

I saved my fight. Scrappy first half of the fight, then I basically fucked it up. Clawed victory back in a pretty intense finale though. Video in spoiler tags.

Spoiler

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, Pob said:

So that 'grab' must actually be a thrust then, because the umbrella prosthetic guide in the series that @Timmo just posted said that the umbrella can deflect all thrust attacks.

So can your sword! ;)

Just now, robdood said:

So can your sword! ;)

Sorry, I meant it can block thrust attacks. You just have to hold it up and it'll protect you.

So I wonder if on GenA if you jump and umbrella you'd be protected from whichever attach he uses after his jumping attack?

6 minutes ago, Pob said:

Sorry, I meant it can block thrust attacks. You just have to hold it up and it'll protect you.

So I wonder if on GenA if you jump and umbrella you'd be protected from whichever attach he uses after his jumping attack?

Not sure, one of the attacks is a sweep though.  

I find it quite easy to tell the difference between the two; if he looks like he's moving, jump, if he doesn't, mikiri.   In fact, I'm 90% confident you can 'option select' by immediately hitting mikiri, then jump if unsuccessful. 

Failing that just dodge the jump attack and hit him to interrupt him. 

17 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

The any% speedrun record is now under 23 minutes. I think there are three honest fights in the whole run, it's really quite something.

2.5, really!

It's impressive but pretty boring. Hopefully all bosses/prayer beads becomes more popular.

42 minutes ago, Timmo said:

2.5, really!

It's impressive but pretty boring. Hopefully all bosses/prayer beads becomes more popular.

I like it more as a measure of how quickly a game can be yanked apart like that if people are so minded (and have Cheat Engine). 

All bosses/beads is good, yeah. I don't know what the 'best' category is going to be – I like the idea of a no cheese/no skip run, but then it basically comes down to boss moveset RNG and I'm not sure that's particularly exciting either.

Ive watched some no-damage boss fights, its amazing how you can keep the melee combat going by countering and attacking back and forth for ages.

(Sword Saint spoilers)

Spoiler

That's insane.

I still haven't done the final boss yet. Been playing a new game this week instead. At least I'm getting through that really quickly now. GenA only took a few goes and Guape went down first time today. More importantly, I actually enjoyed both fights, which I never did before.

It almost seems strange that I was having such a nightmare with this first time round and have so far breezed through most of it second time. I've definitely found more prayer beads on this run, so have had more health before the boss fights, but other than that I just seem to have got the hang of things a bit more.

Then I'll go back to the final boss and get destroyed again.

• Upvote 2

Some thoughts on the Sword Saint encounter after wrapping up ng+:

Spoiler

I know its a bit of a cheese, but I would recommend doing a combination of running around baiting out his 3 combo attack and hit him from behind in his initial sword phase untill you can deathblow him - ie going for his vitality rather than trying to engage him in close combat for the posture damage. Because he does 3 or 4 attacks where you should not be in melee range anyway:

1) the one where he is charging up from the hilt and charges forth

2) the 2 air waves

3) he does what looks like an ichimonji which is really tough to avoid even by dodging

4) he does a perilous attack (thrust?) which should be dodged as well - he does one other thrust after kicking Sekiro off him which can be easily countered with a mikiri but then you have to be able to react to that quickly

which all conspire to it being easier to just run around him and whack him from behind at every opportunity. And try and save as many gourds as possible for when the real fight begins in the spear phase. I used a bunch of confetti and akos sugar for the first sword phase just to speed it up. This way you will deathblow him because his health runs out.

The first time I did SS I went with the sabimaru for the spear phase to help with doing damage on him - I had two problems to solve in the this phase:

1) he does a lot of posture damage, some of the flurries will destroy Sekiro in this phase if you dont deflect well. He does one long combo in particular with a flurry of swings which ends in the thrust you want to mikiri counter, but if your posture is damaged before he does this youre likely to get destroyed as you will need an almost clean posture bar to get to the point of the mikiri counter. And you really want to mikiri counter every thrust he throws at you for their damage to his posture. Finding this balance between keeping your posture up and vitality above 75 % for the posture regen as well as being aggressive enough is a vital part of the strategy for the fight (point 2)

2) at the same time as deflecting well, you need to play aggressively so as not to run out of gourds before you get him down. In the first run I used the sabimaru to put a DoT on him which could tick away while I was busy trying to survive but this didnt work out in ng+ (too risky getting destroyed while applying the Poison status). I ended up using a combination of the loaded umbrella and the firecrackers depending on how the fight went. If I needed to back off and heal up or use something from inventory I popped an umbrella and ran until I was in a safe spot. If hes running after you wait until he jumps  and then charges at you before you stop to drink. Otherwise I started using the firecrackers when I dodged around to his back side after he jumped at me (by dodging to the side or into him) and hit him with a double ichimonji. 4 x those did a lot of posture damage. And you want to fight him over by the bridge especially for the last phase coming up, since its easier to see what he is doing and there is an annoying thing with the lightning attack where you cant hit him with it if he is on a different height than you. So when the spear phase 1 begins you want to start pulling him over there and esp at the beginning of the spear phase 2 where he usually does a lightning jump right at the beginning of the phase you want to be on the same ground level as him. Otherwise remember you can dodge sideways on the lightning jump, and punish from there afterwards just like with Genichiro. And his posture damage builds up quicker in the last phase compared to the previous one which can be a real slog, so as long as you either use the lightning or avoid them you will likely get to his final deathblow pretty quickly regardless. He has two deathblows at the end, dont forget the immortal severance or you will have to do the last phase over again.

You can use the Dancing Dragon Mask to upgrade Sekiros attack power before going into the SS fight .. for a bit of advantage with posture damage. I went from 12 to 16 AP (=20 skill points) in between making attempts at SS by farming the obvious spots in Fountainhead Palace and Ashina Outskirts. Im not sure how much it helps but attack power is softcapped at 20 I think so anything up to that point should make a tangible difference.

Apart from the above in the spoiler, the most aggravating issues with the Sword Saint fight are related to 1) the camera and 2) how the lightning return wont connect with Isshin if he is on a different elevation than you. Both of these issues killed me at least 4-5 times each during this latest SS fight. The camera cant keep up with Isshin if he jumps straight over you, which ends with him 2-shotting you with the spear while the camera is busy looking into the clear blue skies instead, and you scrambling to get a bearing on where you are in relation to him. And several times I performed the lightning return on Isshin in the last phase, on my knees in terms of how far I could go with no more heals and having also used a lot of jinzo statues and divine grass on previous attempts and really trying hard to do this, only for the return to have no effect at all. Nothing. The fight goes on and youre dead. Two times I had him on his knees, and only needed to return the lightning to win but it didnt connect because he was on a higher or lower ground than Sekiro. Absolutely soul destroying moments, after 10-15 minutes of fighting, the damn special super duper attack doesnt even work because of height differences?

With that Ive done the 

Spoiler

Return and Purification

endings so far, and looking to do the 

Spoiler

Shura and Immortal

endings in consecutive ng+ games but Im not sure how they will play out; the lower posture regen in ng+ was a problem at times, and some bosses were still a challenge to pass (GSO and Sword Saint for sure, as well as some critical mini bosses like the ninja in the well, Snakeeyes and even Orin was tough on ng+). Surprisingly, I didnt find the Father Owl fight to be that tough, and its one my favourites of the whole lot. I will at least try and level the skills for the achievement (missing around 40 skill levels for that), and if the boss fights prove too tough start a new game and do the last two endings from there. I still havent done DoH properly, other than spending a couple of hours exploring how he works. Kudos to everyone who managed to get through that, I had to leave it for now but I will try again next time.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, jonamok said:

I wish I was good enough to play this to completion, as all the late game and NG+(+++) stuff sounds excellent. :(

Where are you stuck?

My guide turned up today. I tend to get them for the art rather than using them for their intended purpose but given how harsh this is, I’m going to look at advanced strats for all the bosses.

• Upvote 2