rllmuk
Uzi

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Without sounding like a wank, I just did Ashina E, GenA and LB first time on NG+ and barely took a hit. It actually shows how relatively 'straightforward' this game is once the combat clicks and you play how it wants you to play. I seldom played NG+ on any of the other games because I'd get crushed but this seems very accessible. I hardly gave any of them a moment's peace and deflected about 75% of their shit, including arrows. It's very generous with the deflect timing, too, much more so than parrying in the Soulsborne games.

Obviously I got overwhelmed from time to time and I did a couple of sloppy heals but for the most part, I set the tone of the fights and they are probably resting at the idol now thinking about farming some more shit before taking me on in NG+2. If you play defensively or attritionally, this is a really hard and frustrating game. If you play on the front foot and deflect aggressively (AE especially went down very fast, maybe three or four deflects of the dangerous move), this is actually not so difficult because you can overwhelm pretty much everything. I even did BB with deflections this time. Couple of items to combat the status effect but clang clang clang and then SCHLUNK. No running around anywhere. Can't wait to try the same with Guape. 

• Upvote 5

Final boss down on the Xbox first try, its quite easy once you know how

Upto the Blazing Bull in NG+

I can't get enough of this game, DLC had better be coming

40 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

Without sounding like a wank, I just did Ashina E, GenA and LB first time on NG+ and barely took a hit. It actually shows how relatively 'straightforward' this game is once the combat clicks and you play how it wants you to play. I seldom played NG+ on any of the other games because I'd get crushed but this seems very accessible. I hardly gave any of them a moment's peace and deflected about 75% of their shit, including arrows. It's very generous with the deflect timing, too, much more so than parrying in the Soulsborne games.

Obviously I got overwhelmed from time to time and I did a couple of sloppy heals but for the most part, I set the tone of the fights and they are probably resting at the idol now thinking about farming some more shit before taking me on in NG+2. If you play defensively or attritionally, this is a really hard and frustrating game. If you play on the front foot and deflect aggressively (AE especially went down very fast, maybe three or four deflects of the dangerous move), this is actually not so difficult because you can overwhelm pretty much everything. I even did BB with deflections this time. Couple of items to combat the status effect but clang clang clang and then SCHLUNK. No running around anywhere. Can't wait to try the same with Guape. 

I think one of the reasons this game is so hard is once you do get used to it, you can blitz it without the AI getting much of a look in. This is something you can’t do as easily in Souls/BB. 

I now also get why they put TWO extra difficulty items/options in the game. It's a strange thing, really. Very very hard until you get what it wants from you, then arguably a little too easy. Once you know the movesets, there's little possibility that you won't dominate every enemy in the game. NG+ is a lot more fun, though, I must say. No cheese, no wasted time. 

59 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

I now also get why they put TWO extra difficulty items/options in the game. It's a strange thing, really. Very very hard until you get what it wants from you, then arguably a little too easy. Once you know the movesets, there's little possibility that you won't dominate every enemy in the game. NG+ is a lot more fun, though, I must say. No cheese, no wasted time. 

I have both of them switched on and am now at GenA again. I am struggling with the increased damage(?) and taking damage when I don't perfect parry, but it seems doable and has been relatively straightforward up to this point.

It feels great when you land a string of perfect parries.

• Upvote 1

I should say that after giving it Billy Big Bollocks, Snake Eyes Shiharagi has once again absolutely owned me. The cheese method on NG+ will cost me about eight quid in electricity bills so I need to actually fight the mardy cow.

Not going well... 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Stanshall said:

I should say that after giving it Billy Big Bollocks, Snake Eyes Shiharagi has once again absolutely owned me. The cheese method on NG+ will cost me about eight quid in electricity bills so I need to actually fight the mardy cow.

Not going well... 

I've got a pretty foolproof technique I've worked out while practicing.. 

Spoiler

Firecrackers > Full charge Ichimonji Double > Deflect > Friecracker > etc

You can also draw her close to the fog gate to avoid alerting the other dickheads. 

• Upvote 1

Cheers, I'll give that a go. I've been using the prayer stance art or whatever it's called because it comes out fast and has a satisfying THUNK THUNK but it's not effective against her. Time to mix it up. 

2 hours ago, Stanshall said:

Not going well... 

On NG+ I've learned to absolutely love the Snake Eyes. I think I must have cheesed them a bit on my first run through as I certainly don't remember finding them as difficult as I did on NG+1+2. But now I can reliably get them both with very little camembert; just some satisfying punishes the moment they whiff their 'get over here!' grabs.

• Upvote 1

Well speedrun practice went quite well, though I need to practice CM for sure!!  I can do everything up to CM in about an hour, so am hoping my first 'complete' run will be sub 90 mins!  

Need to look for some save state tools..

I DID IT!

The best boss I've faced in any videogame. At no time during my 100+ attempts did I feel the fight was unfair, I just knew I needed to improve.

I'll write more impressions about the game once it's all sunk in.

• Upvote 9

15 hours ago, Stanshall said:

Not going well... 

Here is my strategy in action. It feels a bit cheap but fuck her tbh. 

Spoiler

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, robdood said:

Hide contents

Nice! Totally valid IMO.

You have these tools/moves so why not use them to waste a troublesome enemy.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, robdood said:

Hide contents

Good work there. That's the way to do it. She just hits so hard and fast that going toe to toe is brutal. 

• Upvote 1

@Timmo you’ve basically read my mind. How does it compare to Nioh for you? I’ve not played that but I know you thought highly of it prior to playing this. Interested in anyone else’s opinion on that also.

I've reached the final boss now, but I doubt I'll bother with it. Just too much to do in one go and I don't have the patience. Having to do the first phase over and over while I learn the rest of it is going to bore me senseless. It might have helped if I thought I'd ever really got the hang of playing the game the way it wants me to, but I just can't do it consistently for whatever reason. If anything, I might start a new game and see how I do on the early stages now, since I didn't have a clue what I was doing when I first played them.

(If you’d told me before playing Sekiro that I’d have fun spending 4 hours facing the same boss, I’d find it pretty hard to believe you.)

I think your mileage on this game will really come down to how you feel on the above. I am a little bit above my tolerance for it, but I'm too stubborn to give up so will hang around here being a moany bastard until either me or the game breaks :)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DC said:

@Timmo you’ve basically read my mind. How does it compare to Nioh for you? I’ve not played that but I know you thought highly of it prior to playing this. Interested in anyone else’s opinion on that also.

I wouldn't really compare them, Nioh is its own beast. I'd definitely recommend it, though.

• Upvote 1

Sekiro is awesome! But I literally cannot play it. I love the atmosphere, the world design.... But every time I load it up, I play a few hours doing nothing but attempting the same boss, and have to end my session without making any real progress. It's not a good game to combine with real life 'being a dad' type circumstances... I waltzed through Dark Souls 3 just a few months ago without any real trouble. But man, my old man skills are not up to Sekiro. I got past Lady Butterfly and the Blazing Bull, got past crazy monks and creepy dungeons beyond that, but now everything is an insurmountable wall. 

I think the best thing to do is set it aside for now, and come back later. With more gaming time and a clearer head. I'm really bummed out about this, it was my most anticipated game in forever. I almost would have preferred it if it was crap or disappointing. I didn't expect to not be good enough to play it :(

• Empathy 5