rllmuk
Uzi

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

@Fitzcarraldo

I beat him (Ashina Elite) last night. It’s very easy to bait him into that double strike as it’s all he seems to open with. Just dodge back and punish it with a thrust if you can’t parry it. He also seems to follow it up with a sweep quite often so be prepared to jump. Doesn’t matter if you jump and he doesn’t sweep. 

I also found that the spring loaded axe ruins his posture. I opened with a charged-up flying axe strike and got the first deathblow before the fight had even begun    . It did take me about ten attempts though and I got my first Dragonrot idol since I healed everyone after the horse guy hours ago. 

• Upvote 1

I wasn't quick enough to do the double parry against Ashina Elite, but found you can dodge through him to the left. It's the same timing but only one button. You can follow up with a hit every time if you're quick enough.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Mrs Horribleman said:

I was watching fighting cowboy and he bought two death blows from a merchant in ashina outskirts but they aren't selling it when I try and buy it. 

Spoiler

I think that's the dude I killed in Hirata Estate when I was annoyed. Did you do his quest line? Finding out what the samurai want?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Strafe said:

Hide contents

I think that's the dude I killed in Hirata Estate when I was annoyed. Did you do his quest line? Finding out what the samurai want?

Ah. No I just eavesdropped then killed him. 

1 hour ago, Pob said:

@Fitzcarraldo

I beat him (Ashina Elite) last night. It’s very easy to bait him into that double strike as it’s all he seems to open with. Just dodge back and punish it with a thrust if you can’t parry it. He also seems to follow it up with a sweep quite often so be prepared to jump. Doesn’t matter if you jump and he doesn’t sweep. 

I also found that the spring loaded axe ruins his posture. I opened with a charged-up flying axe strike and got the first deathblow before the fight had even begun    . It did take me about ten attempts though and I got my first Dragonrot idol since I healed everyone after the horse guy hours ago. 

He's also VERY weak to poison.

How good is that feeling when you finally vanquish a rock-hard foe, then to celebrate pop a few Mibu balloons of wealth and go on a murderous shopping spree through earlier areas to buy up some wares?

Since inexplicably getting stuck on Jozou the Drunkard about a week ago, when the winning strategy should've been obvious, I've been making fairly continuous progress. There have been tough fights, in particular the samurai generals in the castle grounds, but no roadblocks. I finally went back to Lady Butterfly last night with three health upgrades and six gourds, and beat her first time, though I did pop a few buffs and healing pellets to ensure I finished her off.

Next up I've got GenA - had one go for a laugh then decided to leave him for a bit as I have the Sunken Valley and the Depths to explore, plus that Headless guy near the start. There's always so much to do! I'm also looking for one more carp scale to get the technique upgrade he's selling. I seem to have got all the ones in Hirata, and have also explored Ashina Reservoir. Any tips?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Pob said:

How good is that feeling when you finally vanquish a rock-hard foe, then to celebrate pop a few Mibu balloons of wealth and go on a murderous shopping spree through earlier areas to buy up some wares?

Since inexplicably getting stuck on Jozou the Drunkard about a week ago, when the winning strategy should've been obvious, I've been making fairly continuous progress. There have been tough fights, in particular the samurai generals in the castle grounds, but no roadblocks. I finally went back to Lady Butterfly last night with three health upgrades and six gourds, and beat her first time, though I did pop a few buffs and healing pellets to ensure I finished her off.

Next up I've got GenA - had one go for a laugh then decided to leave him for a bit as I have the Sunken Valley and the Depths to explore, plus that Headless guy near the start. There's always so much to do! I'm also looking for one more carp scale to get the technique upgrade he's selling. I seem to have got all the ones in Hirata, and have also explored Ashina Reservoir. Any tips?

Pretty sure you need to move the story on to find any more

6 minutes ago, Pob said:

I seem to have got all the ones in Hirata, and have also explored Ashina Reservoir. Any tips?

You almost certainly haven't but you'll need to pick up a new skill to get more.

13 minutes ago, Pob said:

There's always so much to do! I'm also looking for one more carp scale to get the technique upgrade he's selling. I seem to have got all the ones in Hirata, and have also explored Ashina Reservoir. Any tips?

Pretty sure I got enough swimming around in the lake and up the river to buy the pot noble's combat art. Try up-river from the Shinobi Hunter spear guy?

Just now, jonamok said:

Pretty sure I got enough swimming around in the lake and up the river to buy the pot noble's combat art. Try up-river from the Shinobi Hunter spear guy?

I've explored the river around the merchant, the river under the bridge just before the shinobi hunter, and the river after the shinobi hunter with the secret entrance up the well. Pretty sure I've got all the carp there. I did buy another couple of things off him so I might've missed by chance.

Ah. That will be it then. You'll need to move on for now and come back with a new fish-hunting skill later. I didn't think the combat art was all that TBH, but it looks cool.

• Upvote 1

This game is utterly sublime. Managed to beat Gen A. this morning after a couple of hours learning him last night. Such a good boss. I love the way the whole posture mechanism tempts you into being super aggressive when it starts to build up for your enemy. The risk/reward of being aggressive seems really well judged. It gives an amazing flow to the fights which I think is beyond what they achieved in BB - they seem to evolve in interesting and unique ways each fight as either you or the enemy start to build posture damage. I certainly found that fighting Gen A, each fight played out quite differently.

• Upvote 3

Just got back to GuaA on NG+, will be taking him down tonight before fighting the Shura ending

Then its just Skills and 4 Lapis needed for the Plat

4 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

@Pob I also bought that technique and found it useless virtually useless. Fancy but useless. I'd save my scales for something else. 

Okay cool, I read someone else earlier in the thread talking about beating GenA using various fishy sounding arts and thought that might’ve been it. 

I also just bought at airborne deathblow move from a rat merchant because it sounded cool. No idea how to use it though! Says you can jump at an enemy who’s left himself open in the air and deathblow him. Anyone I can try that out on?

I think that Floating Passage is cack apart from when you've whittled GuaA down a bit and then it seems to wreck him by hitting all of his arms and legs consecutively, stunning him and making him roll away.

1 hour ago, Pob said:

Okay cool, I read someone else earlier in the thread talking about beating GenA using various fishy sounding arts and thought that might’ve been it. 

I also just bought at airborne deathblow move from a rat merchant because it sounded cool. No idea how to use it though! Says you can jump at an enemy who’s left himself open in the air and deathblow him. Anyone I can try that out on?

Yes, you can use it to cheese a certain miniboss

Spoiler

Shichimen Warrior

in literally two hits. Tyrannicon has a YT vid showing how.

I had a great session on this yesterday. After beating GenA the other night the game really opens up and, like in Dark Souls, you really appreciate how all the areas connect, with some surprising shortcuts.

Very light non-plot spoilers:

Spoiler

I couldn't beat the Shit Flinger so went off exploring and discovered whole new areas. I also learnt to swim, dive-bombed a reptile, took down Drunken Fat Fuck's brother first attempt, wasted a fortune on coloured rice (I swear the game trolled me into buying it), flew a kite, made a man-child disappear, died several times to bloody monkeys, killed the Bent Friar (CM) on second attempt, got a cowering monkey eaten (and felt bad about it), had an excellent tough fight (OK,  eight) with a Crying Wisp, and doled out several portions of Sake to various NPC's resulting in some interesting back story titbits.

Beating Dark Souls remains one of my greatest gaming achievements, it was a really tough and gruelling experience for me (not helped by knowing that other cocky gamers were speed-running it on NG+7, wearing only a loincloth and twatting bosses with a club). Where Sekiro really helps to make the game more enjoyable is simply down to how close boss fights are to save points (idols). It just makes each defeat more bearable when you can dash back quickly and try again. 

Proud as I am to have completed Dark Souls I never wanted to return to it again, whereas with Sekiro I'm already looking forward to starting again and having multiple playthrough's, maybe upping the difficulty each time, and trying other fighting-style/prosthetic combinations.

This game is a keeper for me, there's so much replay value and long term challenge in just trying to master it. Maybe one day I'll be able to proudly state on here that I've actually NG+7'd the game.....only for a cocky gamer to undermine me by saying, "Yeah, but you didn't do it with one eye closed hanging upside down using bongos as a controller like I did".

• Upvote 6

Definitely all of that @Karzee. I'm on NG+ at the moment and it's like a sick-as victory lap; bosses that I spent days on a mere fortnight ago falling first time round. It's an amazing feeling. And the game hasn't got any easier really, it's that you've got gudder, thanks to the game.

What was funny is that I didn't really feel that the combat had 'clicked' right up until the final showdown. But that final fight is a fucking baptism, and NG+ is Sekiro reborn.

• Upvote 2

Im trying to work out the last boss at the moment and Im not really feeling it. A lot of stuff to remember and it takes a lot of energy to keep getting where you need to practise. I would have liked a shorter end boss tbh after all of the hard work until that point.

Great Shinobi Owl has been the absolute toughest boss in my

view and I messed up the FO questline so I am going to have to do that next time

if there ever is one by this rate

I just need the All Skills trophy now for the platinum, then I can head back to the Xbox version to take on the final boss

Talking of Bent Friar.... i took that fool down on my third attempt last night. (We are on about CM here arent we)

What a game.... now I have quite a few other areas to explore ^_^

I am in love with this game..... its going up there with BOTW, FFVII, Last of us.... (although i haven't encountered any of the end game boss/es yet, so my opinion may change later on)

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Goemon said:

Bent Friar may just be the greatest alternate name ever.

I really liked 'Drunk Prick'

Talking of Bent Friar.... i took that fool down on my third attempt last night. (We are on about CM here arent we)

What a game.... now I have quite a few other areas to explore ^_^

I am in love with this game..... its going up there with BOTW, FFVII, Last of us.... (although i haven't encountered any of the end game boss/es yet, so my opinion may change later on)

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Pob said:

The only enemies I managed to land this on were ones in the last area of the game.. Quite a nice way to get revenge on those football-playing fuckers! 

11 hours ago, Orbital2060 said:

I wish I played this on the ps4, the bumpers on the xbox controller are  a pain in the ass

Yeah, this is the one game I've played recently that might work better on the DS4. I fear this game might be the end of my Elite Xbox pad bumpers.

I've held off on this because I haven't had any time for gaming lately, and because the setting isn't one I'm naturally drawn to.

However - Bloodborne is one of my favourite games ever, and it seems wrong not to be playing this alongside you guys. What's the general consensus for where this sits in the Pantheon? New best one ever? Jury still out?