rllmuk
Uzi

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

DoH down, but christ, that's the first time I've ever felt really frustrated by the camera in a From game.

Two problems: first, his tendency to get himself up against a wall with his perilous charges is no fun when the camera doesn't cope well that, and staying safe in this fight is so dependent on being able to get around him. You end up in some unavoidable disadvantaged situations: parrying and blocking isn't a good option, and neither is staying at range.

Second: the part of the arena he starts in drives the camera bonkers with all those little hills. Hard to see how this was included as intentional challenge!

He's doable, but it's a painful old slog getting through those first two health bars. I didn't feel in the least bit bad cheesing him in the last section with the whistle and sugars, though felt a bit sad that I had to look that up online.

Goodbye, OF.

There's literally no strategy besides learn how to play the game. Absolutely battered the fuck out of him using one pellet. He has such a wide moveset that you basically need to learn every single one, learn the timing and punish every single one. Thanks for the various bits of encouragement and strats. That was the best fight in the whole damn game, no cheese, no attrition, just right in his fucking face.

The real Sekiro starts here. Genuinely, aside from GenA, I've scraped through the whole game on cheese and bullshit. This is the first time I've really engaged with how the game wants me to play and that felt immense. I wish I'd captured it because I absolutely crushed him. Once I'd sorted out the input lag on my telly that made the biggest difference, to be honest, but it also meant that I stopped hiding from his devastating attacks and started looking for them so I could punish. There were several breakthrough moments when I was going back down those stairs for another crack when I felt 'I've got this, I'm going to turn him inside out'.

Now genuinely excited, not just for TLB, but to go into NG+ and properly learn this game with fresh eyes. 

• Upvote 7

I'm finding the bosses tough in this. But I'm with the people that think it's mechanically the best From game so far. I feel like I'm actually learning from each fight rather than just brute forcing my way past. 

I haven't gotten to where the game really opens up but I'm right about there and hopefully I'll manage it soon. 

The fights really feel like a proper skilled brawl and I love how in their face you have to get. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

Goodbye, OF.

There's literally no strategy besides learn how to play the game. Absolutely battered the fuck out of him using one pellet. He has such a wide moveset that you basically need to learn every single one, learn the timing and punish every single one. Thanks for the various bits of encouragement and strats. That was the best fight in the whole damn game, no cheese, no attrition, just right in his fucking face.

The real Sekiro starts here. Genuinely, aside from GenA, I've scraped through the whole game on cheese and bullshit. This is the first time I've really engaged with how the game wants me to play and that felt immense. I wish I'd captured it because I absolutely crushed him. Once I'd sorted out the input lag on my telly that made the biggest difference, to be honest, but it also meant that I stopped hiding from his devastating attacks and started looking for them so I could punish. There were several breakthrough moments when I was going back down those stairs for another crack when I felt 'I've got this, I'm going to turn him inside out'.

Now genuinely excited, not just for TLB, but to go into NG+ and properly learn this game with fresh eyes. 

Great stuff!

The important point here for me is the learning of the boss and the feeling of kicking the shit out of him.

THIS is what From want you to experience.

When people comment on a boss something like “thank fuck that’s over” I feel like they’re missing the point of the game. The idea is that you learn, and as you do you start to OWN the boss. 

You’re like “sorry boss, no, no, no, have that, no, no, and that, no, no, no, see you later shit bag!”

You’re supposed to come out feeling like a boss yourself.

• Upvote 3

Go Forrest Gump, don't stop running. Try to lead him from wall to wall. He'll pause, you go full anal probe, rinse and repeat. You can also block a lot more of his shit than you'd expect. Firecrackers and flame (dear flame) are effective. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Blunted said:

Any tips for the Bull other than get all up in its anus Dark Souls style? 

Deflect his charge just as he dips his head to attack and whack him in the head for max posture damage. Firecrackers are also useful for getting some hits in. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Blunted said:

Any tips for the Bull other than get all up in its anus Dark Souls style? 

Once I started doing this, I got him easy.

His flaming headpiece means that even blocked attacked do damage right? I used dousing powder to mitigate this.

• Upvote 1

I spent a while in the forest and Mibu village area yesterday, and i took down the second drunken blokey, and the MN miniboss.

Both were quite easy fights, which made me think i was improving. Then went onto to O'rin, and whilst i didnt defeat her, I can see she is doable.

Compared to how i was when i started, i can see a definite improvement.... in fact, one of my favourite things to do it run through earlier areas, and totally fuck up anything in my way, like a true samurai.

Love this game :wub:

9 minutes ago, cohen205 said:

Compared to how i was when i started, i can see a definite improvement.... in fact, one of my favourite things to do it run through earlier areas, and totally fuck up anything in my way, like a true samurai.

That’s one of the best things about it. You don’t really think you’re improving because the enemy difficulty increases as you progress through the game, so you don’t notice it. But when you go back to earlier levels, it’s crazy how much more fluent and lethal you are. It really encourages you through showing how your skills have massively improved.

Love it.

1 hour ago, Stanshall said:

Goodbye, OF.

Be still, my beating heart :wub:

Glad you've finally got there mate. 

2 hours ago, SharkyOB said:

Yes to both questions!  I'm struggling because I'm not great at reading the tells on the perilous attacks, so I keep getting caught by his sweep.  He also hits like a train so mistakes are punished hard.

She has been my favourite boss so far as she is closest to a Soulsborne boss and, thus, much easier for me to cope with. There is a significant window after most of the attacks which can be exploited but a certain combat art is pretty much essential too..

3 hours ago, Stanshall said:

Well, I keep getting OF down to bugger all health

These acronyms are as infuriating as the game can be and way more obtuse.

Based on conversation on this page, I seem to be further along than @cohen205 who appears to recognise who you are referring to here but I have absolutely no idea.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mike S said:

She has been my favourite boss so far as she is closest to a Soulsborne boss and, thus, much easier for me to cope with. There is a significant window after most of the attacks which can be exploited but a certain combat art is pretty much essential too..

Can you spoiler tag which one please Mike?  She is a very manly looking she!

1 minute ago, Mike S said:

Based on conversation on this page, I seem to be further along than @cohen205 who appears to recognise who you are referring to here but I have absolutely no idea.

Sorry, dude. If you want to know it's a very late game boss. Spoiler:

Spoiler

Owl Father 

1 minute ago, Stanshall said:

Sorry, dude. If you want to know it's a very late game boss. Spoiler:

Reveal hidden contents

Owl Father 

See that has confused me as I thought @cohen205 was behind me in the game as he's approaching CM...

I'm only at the GSO. Which I am hating - first boss that has required me to rage quit and which I can only cope with in five minute sessions before switching off.

3 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

Can you spoiler tag which one please Mike?  She is a very manly looking she!

Spoiler

I found that Mortal Draw did way more damage than my regular blade..

• Upvote 1

Question about the routes to various endings that I have yet to see any of them:

Spoiler

Obviously sided with Kuro and beat Owl Dad to death.

I’ve since opened up the quest line to return to Hirata Estate to kill dad again (before?). I have not yet done the dragon boss.

this leaves me with 3 endings.

i can skip dad and do the immortal severence ending.

Now, if I kill Dad I can do the purification ending.

Can I also still do the return ending if I want that? I have the two fruits of the snake.

No spoilers about what actually happens, please!

27 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Question about the routes to various endings that I have yet to see any of them:

Reveal hidden contents

Obviously sided with Kuro and beat Owl Dad to death.

I’ve since opened up the quest line to return to Hirata Estate to kill dad again (before?). I have not yet done the dragon boss.

this leaves me with 3 endings.

i can skip dad and do the immortal severence ending.

Now, if I kill Dad I can do the purification ending.

Can I also still do the return ending if I want that? I have the two fruits of the snake.

No spoilers about what actually happens, please!

I don’t think you can do the return ending. Afaik you need to

Used the hearts before fighting the Corrupted Monk

5 hours ago, Goemon said:

Let me guess, acquire all skills?

That one will take a while. You’re talking 80,000xp for 1 skill point by the end.

Nah it was the prosthetic one. Needs almost 2 full playthroughs to get that due to the one ingredient being only available near the end.

Got the skills fairly easily due to the extra xp during the 2nd playthrough.

OK, last boss down to fuck all health and the camera went mental at close range by a rock. Killed off screen. Bit of a shame because this is an absolute beast of a fight. Amazing. It's coming, though. Got to phase four without resurrection and with five gourds left. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, cohen205 said:

Are we talking about O'rin here?

Jesus, these initials are so frustrating.

No, they weren't!

Hence my confusion!

• Upvote 1

I think for some of these tough bosses I'm going to save a clip and watch them back so I can study the combos, recovery times and windups for unblockables.

4 minutes ago, Pob said:

I think for some of these tough bosses I'm going to save a clip and watch them back so I can study the combos, recovery times and windups for unblockables.

Usually a bit of time away is all your need. Your subconscious takes over and next time you face them it's over within a handful of fights. Fascinating how often this works.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Timmo said:

Usually a bit of time away is all your need. Your subconscious takes over and next time you face them it's over within a handful of fights. Fascinating how often this works.

True, yes, I find that is often something that happens with tough boss fights in these games.

Another frequent phenomenon (at least for me) is an early attempt going really well, which you then struggle to replicate for many attempts afterwards. For example, on DoH last night, on my I think third go, I did his whole first life bar, and nearly all the second. So I thought well this isn't too tough then. But after that it must have been at least 10 more attempts before I even did his first life bar again, let alone nearly doing the second one.

I wonder what's behind that.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, dug said:

True, yes, I find that is often something that happens with tough boss fights in these games.

Another frequent phenomenon (at least for me) is an early attempt going really well, which you then struggle to replicate for many attempts afterwards. For example, on DoH last night, on my I think third go, I did his whole first life bar, and nearly all the second. So I thought well this isn't too tough then. But after that it must have been at least 10 more attempts before I even did his first life bar again, let alone nearly doing the second one.

I wonder what's behind that.

You're running before you can walk steadily.