rllmuk
Uzi

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

12 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

You mean GSO? These acronyms are awful, it takes me longer to work out who people are talking about than it took to actually beat the fuckers. 

Spoiler

Grey Shinobi owl? If so, yes.

But he is my Dad so I refer to him in less formal terms.

13 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Hide contents

There is an easy method but it takes longer to kill him

Basically sprint around the arena and jump if he gets too close to avoid his attack, exploit the shuriken throw attack by running in and getting a hit or 2 before backing straight back out

It does take a while this way but it is pretty safe once you get used to it

Daddy 2 is kicking my arse big style, not got past phase 1 yet

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Nate Dogg III said:

You mean GSO? These acronyms are awful, it takes me longer to work out who people are talking about than it took to actually beat the fuckers. 

But Nate we can’t spoil the potential lore implications of facing off against angry bovine or donkey kong :quote: 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Nate Dogg III said:

There really aren’t that many bosses, several of them share their initials and you fight most (all?) of them more than once, which has made this thread an absolute clusterfuck to read. For story reasons I understand spoilering maybe one or two from towards the end, but the others seem absurd at this point.

• Upvote 5

The acroynm madness ruined the Bloodborne thread for ages and it's s doing the same here. We got on fine in the Dark Souls thread without it. 

I have been on YouTube since searching 'Sekiro' once before, there are no secrets it doesn't broadcast to me with a fucking picture. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Strafe said:

Reveal hidden contents

Righto.

Generally speaking you want to keep him at a distance because it limits his options and he's more likely to do his most punishable move. Learn the deflect timings for everything he does, as his attacks do a LOT of posture damage. Watch out for the open doors by the fog gate, as if you get caught in there it's curtains. Try and space yourself such that you always have room to dodge to the right, since that's how you'll create your openings. Headphones are recommended for the second phase, as you can hear the poison fizzing away on the ground behind you. If you get him in the corner, go the fuck in. He likes to jump back and you can hit him out of it. Only stop when he deflects.

You have three opportunities to hit him. 

1. He throws two shurikens then does a jumping overhead smash. You will learn to love this move. Deflect the shuriken and dodge to your right to evade the overhead. You can get one or two hits in depending on how close you are. Keep attacking after as you can sometimes tag a jump attempt, and only stop swinging when he deflects you or jumps to safety.

2. The animation for his little debuff parcel is incredibly long, you can dash to the right and get in a hit or two but be careful, if you so much as brush into it for a frame you take the debuff. I mostly ignored this one, instead double backdash to reset spacing and heal if required. 

3. A long slash from his right, followed by one from his left. Deflect the first then dodge to the right, the second swing misses and he's wide open. I didn't use this once.

Second phase, just be very aware of where you are and what is and isn't safe, making sure your back isn't to the wall and you always have space to dodge right. When he smokes, turn and run away, then turn back, lock on and be ready to do block or evade.

Bastard of a fight that took me ages. Good luck.

• Upvote 2

There's one more tip for castle GSO that I only spotted from a speed run video:

All his combos are open to counterattack after the second hit if you deflect it (but not if you don't). He will probably try to jump back afterwards, which might either allow you to hit him again as he jumps, or you can chase him down and pressure him into a corner. Giving him a whack from a neutral position will usually goad him into starting another combo, and you can start all over again.

Edit: also, use the shuriken to stop him recovering posture in phase 2!

Hahaha DoH. Hahaha. Nailed it for about twenty minutes then got killed in one second because the camera spazzed out hahaha ha. What a great idea to have the boss repeatedly jump backwards against the wall when the camera is not capable of handling a wall hahaha and there's nowhere safe in front of the boss hahaha so you don't have any options haha great stuff.

Edit: I mean the opposite of that is what I'm saying. 

3 hours ago, MikeF said:

There is an easy method but it takes longer to kill him

Reveal hidden contents

Basically sprint around the arena and jump if he gets too close to avoid his attack, exploit the shuriken throw attack by running in and getting a hit or 2 before backing straight back out

It does take a while this way but it is pretty safe once you get used to it

Daddy 2 is kicking my arse big style, not got past phase 1 yet

Beat him just this morning, he is tough for sure.

One tip from me

when he does his extended combo, finishing with the firecrackers and horizontal slice, use mist raven to get the hell out of there.

It is possible to parry and dodge everything but he pushes you so far back with this combo sometimes the camera starts to become an issue, so it’s better to just get out. The damage of the final hit is brutal.

16 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

Hahaha DoH. Hahaha. Nailed it for about twenty minutes then got killed in one second because the camera spazzed out hahaha ha. What a great idea to have the boss repeatedly jump backwards against the wall when the camera is not capable of handling a wall hahaha and there's nowhere safe in front of the boss hahaha so you don't have any options haha great stuff.

Edit: I mean the opposite of that is what I'm saying. 

There is a cheese for DoH

Run to his right? That's what I'm attempting. You have to stay so tight and then when the camera fucks up I have to run away to reset and I get killed half the time I try to get back in.

If there's a more pungent cheese, please fill me in. I'm ready to erase my postcode. 

• Empathy 1

1 hour ago, Stanshall said:

Run to his right? That's what I'm attempting. You have to stay so tight and then when the camera fucks up I have to run away to reset and I get killed half the time I try to get back in.

If there's a more pungent cheese, please fill me in. I'm ready to erase my postcode. 

Yep, there is another cheese.

You have to get him stuck in a specific spot by luring him there using the fireproof umbrella. The spot is on the left side, near the cliff, right in the corner so he's inbetween the tree and the side of the mountain - he cant fit through it and will continuously try to walk towards you, but obviously cant. There's a dead horse in front of the tree, and this is your guide for how far his reach is. Stay behind that, and only his fireball can reach you, and he only uses that if you're too far from him.

Just bait his attacks to learn what he has, and run in and hit him a few times before backing off again. Rinse and repeat until his last phase - he'll do a massive explosion and a ring of fire will surround him. This is the only real tricky part of the fight, as you take massive fire damage from the ring, so try to make sure you're outside of it when it happens. Its pretty easily telegraphed, so you shouldnt have too much trouble. Once this is done, he may get unstuck, so you might have to try and get him in place again, but if not then its still a bit tricky as he'll now do fire balls more often, and they hit hard! Best thing to do at this point is use the whistle (with the malcontent upgrade - you'll need to beat the G. Ape again in Ashina Depths for this upgrade) with some divine confetti and an attack power sugar/spiritfall and when he's stunned wail on him, then when he comes out of stun, whistle again. You can only use it three times before it becomes useless, so use it in this last phase! He should go down fairly quickly if you've killed every boss up until this point, as your attack power should be pretty decent.

I would watch the above video (which oddly doesnt show how to get him in that position), but remember what I've posted with the last phase - he's a bastard, and will try to get "un-stuck", so be on the lookout for that, and his firey ring (ho ho), as those can take you by surprise. Even the guy in the video gets hit now and then during this phase, so its not as easy as its made out to be.

• Upvote 2

I used delicious cheese against two enemies, one in purpose and the other accidentally. The deliberate one was Lone Shadow Stankhand (or something like that), the one near the serpent shrine idol by Ashina Castle, after you've obtained two macguffins. 

Spoiler

If you get him to chase you up the forested hill back towards the castle, he eventually stops attacking and just walks slowly back down, so you get get behind him and get a few hits in, then reposition yourself and repeat.

The accidental one was also in the second visit to Ashina Castle

Spoiler

The ogre on the ground floor. He somehow managed to get himself stuck in the doorway there and his AI just switched off. He just stood there while I laid into him. Eventually though he did the stagger animation and that fixed him and he started attacking again but by this point he only had like 10% of his health left.

Stinky, delightful cheese.

• Upvote 2

On the Great Shinobi Owl as well. Got him to second phase a couple of times last night but without really understanding all of the moves he makes. I figured out something along the lines of Nate's post above, after also watching some non-cheese videos of the fight and a really cool no damage-fight on YT.

(GSO no damage spoilers)

Spoiler

Thats how I would like to play it, but Im not good enough. No matter how many times Ive watched these I cant figure out which of his attack combos I am supposed to first deflect from his right and then dodge his left swing back. I just cant see it (yet), but I am dodging other of his combos and getting hits in like that. I can see something is breaking my posture real bad, I just cant see which one it is lol.

Elsewhere, Ive pretty much mopped up everything up to this point, except for the

Spoiler

Chained Ogre v2

which im going to check out. Its the last prayer bead available so far (I think) and would complete the last necklace I got sitting at 3/4 beads.

Ive really wanted to get a bead on the Headless in the game, and went for the second Shichimen Warrior after the Headless Ape and his companion had vacated the premises to get the 

Spoiler

Malcontent's Ring for the Finger Whistle upgrade

(Shichimen Warrior#2 spoilers)

Spoiler

Pretty straight forward.

And it works. Did the Headless in Mibu Village pretty easily with this. Seemed like it has 3 uses, on the fourth it barely affected them.

Separately, I've decided on doing a sort of challenge run on ng+.. 

- no Kuro's Charm 

- Bell Demon active

- no idol travel (except for any instances where I *have* to in order to proceed, if any exist) 

- must always clear all enemies when passing through an area (though might let apparition enemies slide for now..)

- no stealth attacks permitted on bosses/mini bosses before engaging with them

Made it up to Blazing B already it's great fun! The last bulletpoint above is particularly cool, completely changes those encounters into heart-wrenching, bum-clenching, adrenaline pumping, epic battles of clashing steel.  

This fucking game man. :wub:

• Upvote 5

10 hours ago, Goemon said:

I’m just about to do the last ending so I can give you some hints

In this case...

Reveal hidden contents

The hearts have nothing to do with returning to Hirata. Also, I’m 99% sure you’ve missed the opportunity to use the heats this playthrough

You still have the opportunity to return, afaik. Here’s a hint

Reveal hidden contents

You need to eavesdrop, a couple of NPC conversations.

Thanks for this. With a very light googling* I've managed to find out what to do. Would never have found it by myself...

*A true shinobi always makes the most of the tools available to him

With GSO it was surprising in the end how often

Spoiler

you can interrupt his attacks rather than have to parry and counter. Your first swing hits from the right and his main combos start with a slower swing from the left, so if you time it right you can get in first. Even if you miss you can usually cancel out of it with a parry. It's also worth another swing after he's blocked you - if he tries his combo or potion debuff thing you'll get a free hit. He can still kick you though, so it's not that reliable, but you can usually block the shuriken follow up. This was the key to it for me, to stop my poise getting maxed out. 

• Upvote 1

It was the heal debuff that really fucked me off during that fight. So often I'd feel like I was on a roll, but one mistimed swing after a dodge away would land me right in that cloud, and from that point on I was completely on tilt. Just the knowledge that I couldn't heal, even if I didn't need to, was enough to put me off all of my timings, and I'd inevitably die. 

It got to the point where I'd just avoid that cloud completely rather than risk the attack, even though he gives you ample opportunity to do so. 

• Upvote 1

GSO DOWN.

Like most of the others, he seems easy once you get the ebb and flow of the battle going. I just

Spoiler

Used whirlwind slash and almost only attached when he did an attack that involved shruiken - either the jump one or the dash.

He has two other dash attacks, one where he sort of leans to the left that you can get a hit in, the other one you can’t because he just recovers and counters back too soon.

Used long spark firecracker to give myself a gourd heal window in the second phase, where a couple of miss timings saw me cornered and take damage.

And now

Spoiler

I’m going to go back in time and do the prick again.

• Upvote 2

I'm giving him a break for now and loading my PS4 save for the Shura ending. 

See how I get on in that fight instead

Will return to give him a spanking later

11 minutes ago, MikeF said:

I’m on the Shura ending too, I’m not sure it’s easier TBH. The final form has a couple of moves that I have no idea how to deal with.

Thanks for all the tips on DoH. I woke up this morning, did him first go with no cheese, just old school Souls keep your distance, bait and punish. Whistle and confetti in phase three shredded him. Relieved rather than exhilarated but at least I can look my friends and family in the eye again. 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Goemon said:

I’m on the Shura ending too, I’m not sure it’s easier TBH. The final form has a couple of moves that I have no idea how to deal with.

I can spank Emma without using any heals, as for Ishin, I try to avoid his attacks to the left to leave myself with an opening, got him down to 1/4 health in phase 2 before I died

FightinCowboy on Youtube has a good guide up for it

I have no idea what to do after Donkey Kong.

I finished last night aimlessly wandering about the world looking for something new but with a key area locked down. Did I miss some dialogue or clue somewhere? 

2 hours ago, MikeF said:

Is it possible to make more than one save state to get different endings?