Uzi

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - out one week before "brexit" (22nd March)

9 minutes ago, K said:

I'd say the From / Souls brand is probably stronger than the Tenchu brand at the moment.

Oh definitely, but it's still going to be as known that it's their game as it would be otherwise. Plus you'd imagine companies like that will have the thought process of 'Well, we paid for this IP and haven't seen much return yet so let's try to actually wring some value from it'. I think even From will recognise that nostalgia has an inherent hype value in this day and age, even for games that weren't massive sellers.

Plus there's always the three people who'll walk into a shop and go "Ah, Tenchu! The first one was great."

6 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Yes and we're all looking forward to seeing what that new ip is. But in the meantime, there's also Tenchu: Shadows Die Twice :)

Lol - love the enthusiasm Gerbik :) Given that From have more than one team, I don't care if the non miyazaki B team make Tenchu so that's all yours :P

"we have dark fantasies like Dark Souls, of course, but I'd also like for us to make more mech games like Armoured Core, or Asian style titles like Tenchu or Otogi: Myth of Demons. From Software used have a lot more rather quirky titles."

I know you're hoping bud, but that's from Miyazaki himself. It'll be a new IP of dark action horror with an asian theme of some sort. From would be nuts to do a tenchu game - I'd argue they'd get more success with a new IP rather than the tarnished tenchu series. If you need to think of a series and go "Oh yeah the last good one was over 15 years ago! I bet reviving that will be popular" 

Just now, Cyhwuhx said:

I guess the post was way too subtle this early in the morning.

No, it was a sane post, but you have to accept that you insulted Tenchu by choosing to make that pun :P

1 minute ago, Uzi said:

Lol - love the enthusiasm Gerbik :) 

"we have dark fantasies like Dark Souls, of course, but I'd also like for us to make more mech games like Armoured Core, or Asian style titles like Tenchu or Otogi: Myth of Demons. From Software used have a lot more rather quirky titles."

I know you're hoping bud, but that's from Miyazaki himself. It'll be a new IP of dark action horror with an asian theme of some sort. From would be nuts to do a tenchu game - I'd argue they'd get more success with a new IP rather than the tarnished tenchu series. If you need to think of a series and go "Oh yeah the last good one was over 15 years ago! I bet reviving that will be popular" 

In all seriousness I think you're right (and damn I would also love a new Otogi) but sometimes you just gotta believe!

I just want to feel surprised again. Every new Souls game after DS1 (including Bloodborne but to a lesser degree) just felt less and less exciting because the formula and level design became too predictable. I want to feel completely lost and scared like my first playthrough of Dark Souls, which was the last game prior to BOTW where I really felt like I was discovering again. A high bar I know, but really I just don't want them to rehash the Souls formula again with a different skin.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Mr. Gerbik said:

No, it was a sane post, but you have to accept that you insulted Tenchu by choosing to make that pun :P

I guess that means I'll get my throat slit on the way home. :P

3 minutes ago, Uzi said:

Given that From have more than one team, I don't care if the non miyazaki B team make Tenchu so that's all yours :P

That's exactly what I'm hoping for. With Miyazaki occasionally sticking his head in the door to say whether they're on the right track. Who knows!

51 minutes ago, Majora said:

I just want to feel surprised again. Every new Souls game after DS1 (including Bloodborne but to a lesser degree) just felt less and less exciting because the formula and level design became too predictable. I want to feel completely lost and scared like my first playthrough of Dark Souls, which was the last game prior to BOTW where I really felt like I was discovering again. A high bar I know, but really I just don't want them to rehash the Souls formula again with a different skin.

I'd agree that 2 and 3 in the DS felt consistently less exciting and new. I'd have to disagree with BB though. BB took the essence of Souls and applied just enough new layers to the combat and genuinely one of the most interesting game worlds I've ever come across. Fuck the discovery felt in Dark Souls and Demons, exploring BB for the first time for me was beyond magical. This gen has a few years left in it but I wouldn't be surprised if it finishes in my top 3. Best thing FROM have ever done in my estimatation and anyone who disagrees....well they aren't ME so what does their opinion matter?

But on your main point, Miyazaki clearly feels the same way and has said he doesn't want to do any souls or spin off souls so this should be sufficiently different.

• Upvote 7

1 minute ago, Uzi said:

I'd agree that 2 and 3 in the DS felt consistently less exciting and new. I'd have to disagree with BB though. BB took the essence of Souls and applied just enough new layers to the combat and genuinely one of the most interesting game worlds I've ever come across. Fuck the discovery felt in Dark Souls and Demons, exploring BB for the first time for me was beyond magical. This gen has a few years left in it but I wouldn't be surprised if it finishes in my top 3. Best thing FROM have ever done in my estimate and anyone who disagrees....well they aren't ME so what does their opinion matter?

But on your main point, Miyazaki clearly feels the same way and has said he doesn't want to do any souls or spin off souls so this should be sufficiently different.

I raved about Dark Souls when it came out on 360. my mate eventually bought it and hated it then loved it once he "got it" It's strange because even though I think Dark Souls is an all time classic I haven't played Demons Souls,I didn't buy Dark Souls 2 on playstation 4, I didn't buy Dark Souls 3 either.

I did get a platinum on Bloodborne and totally agree with you. It's a Playstation 4 classic if not one of the top games this decade.

I can't wait to find out what this is all about. From Software is a company i've known about for many many years. I never bought Otogi but I REALLY wanted it. I always know they were extremely capable and they deserve all of their success.

14 minutes ago, Uzi said:

I'd agree that 2 and 3 in the DS felt consistently less exciting and new. I'd have to disagree with BB though. BB took the essence of Souls and applied just enough new layers to the combat and genuinely one of the most interesting game worlds I've ever come across. Fuck the discovery felt in Dark Souls and Demons, exploring BB for the first time for me was beyond magical. This gen has a few years left in it but I wouldn't be surprised if it finishes in my top 3. Best thing FROM have ever done in my estimatation and anyone who disagrees....well they aren't ME so what does their opinion matter?

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong - Bloodborne is one of the best games this gen and was a nice evolution of the series but it still didn't quite recapture the incredible sensation I got playing Dark Souls 1 for the first time because, at its core, it's still the Souls formula but with a pacier, more offensive combat style and different trappings. 

I'm just being greedy really, I want to be completely blown away by the feeling of newness and surprise like I was when I played DS1 but that's only a sensation you really get a few times per gen. I'd like FROM to turn their hands to something quite new and different rather than doing more Souls in a different guise.

1 minute ago, Majora said:

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong - Bloodborne is one of the best games this gen and was a nice evolution of the series but it still didn't quite recapture the incredible sensation I got playing Dark Souls 1 for the first time because, at its core, it's still the Souls formula but with a pacier, more offensive combat style and different trappings. 

I'm just being greedy really, I want to be completely blown away by the feeling of newness and surprise like I was when I played DS1 but that's only a sensation you really get a few times per gen. I'd like FROM to turn their hands to something quite new and different rather than doing more Souls in a different guise.

It can't happen now. There are too many ultra nerds about that will instantly figure things out and post them online in some fancy looking guide only to be broadcast around the world via youtube, word of mouth and twitch.

I don't think you'll ever recapture that slow realisation and sense of community problem solving from Dark Souls. It'll literally be "what can this mean" - "it's this and here's the video/screenshot to prove it"

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

It can't happen now. There are too many ultra nerds about that will instantly figure things out and post them online in some fancy looking guide only to be broadcast around the world via youtube, word of mouth and twitch.

I don't think you'll ever recapture that slow realisation and sense of community problem solving from Dark Souls. It'll literally be "what can this mean" - "it's this and here's the video/screenshot to prove it"

But you don't have to look at it! 

I had that feeling from Huntsmans' Copse in DS2, Undead Settlement in DS3 and all of the first half of Bloodborne, especially Old Yarnham and Hypogean Gaol. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Harrisown said:

You say this, but if BB2 reveals itself I'm coralling a hardy band to bond by blood and close a circuit to it all.

Then taking release week off to explore in a bubble.

:)

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Mrs Horribleman said:

But you don't have to look at it! 

I had that feeling from Huntsmans' Copse in DS2, Undead Settlement in DS3 and all of the first half of Bloodborne, especially Old Yarnham and Hypogean Gaol. 

I'd say I got a much lessened version of that feeling in all of those after Dark Souls 1. 

I'm so familiar with the strategy of exploring Soulslikes now that I went long periods through BB/Souls 3 without dying, or even struggling.  Once you know the 'tricks' the games have, you're only left with the thrill of learning / navigating the environments.  

I want something quite different.  Different enough that I have to learn how to play it again! 

25 minutes ago, dood said:

I'd say I got a much lessened version of that feeling in all of those after Dark Souls 1. 

I'm so familiar with the strategy of exploring Soulslikes now that I went long periods through BB/Souls 3 without dying, or even struggling.  Once you know the 'tricks' the games have, you're only left with the thrill of learning / navigating the environments.  

I want something quite different.  Different enough that I have to learn how to play it again! 

Me too. I don't think I'm especially great at the Souls games, yet with Bloodborne my fourth boss (Amelia) was the first one to kill me and that can only have been down to familiarity. Gascoigne is a hump a lot of people seem to have but by playing the previous games I just knew that since there was a big parrying mechanic the game would be so well designed that there'd be a Parrying Boss before too long, so I got my practice in early.

I think it's probably asking too much for them to capture lightning in a bottle again in a completely different way, but I'd love to feel that real fear of the unknown again.

It's not Bloodborne 2, according to a guy over at ResetEra who seems to be in the know and provided evidence to the mods.

And I would be happy with that. Bloodborne is the GOAT, it doesn't need a sequel. I agree with Rich Stanton's piece.

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2017/12/12/shadows-may-die-twice-but-who-really-wants-bloodborne-ii

In case you hadn't noticed, I'm a bit of a Souls nut and, in particular, a crazy man for Bloodborne. Kos help me, I just cannot get enough of that wonderful stuff. Bloodborne's a game that gets all the praise going but, to my mind, it won't ever be enough. The vaulting ambition of its narrative style, the environmental design, the vision of the Chalice Dungeons (which still throw up new content years later), and the uncompromising integrity of its vision. It's one of the few games ever made that feels truly coherent as a piece of work, in the same way that a transcendent movie never feels like actors and stages.

Nurse, fetch the tissues. Yes OK, I'm a sucker for the old blood – but that doesn't mean I necessarily want a Bloodborne sequel. Dark Souls is an equally stunning standalone game but, in my opinion, the original game has been diluted by two sequels in a way that never happened with Demon's Souls (which remains as fresh in the mind today as it did all those years ago).

New IP, here we come!

On 12/12/2017 at 10:58, Uzi said:

. If you need to think of a series and go "Oh yeah the last good one was over 15 years ago! I bet reviving that will be popular" 

To be fair, this exact thing worked for Zelda. 

Bloodborne is my favourite game but I like how self contained and perfect it is. I'd like to see something new. At this point I will buy anything From out out as their games have given me so much joy.

I also loved the original Tenchu so much I Grand Master ranked all of the levels with Rikumaru. I bought a Vita game which @Mr. Gerbik recommended as a spiritual successor but I never played it because it felt awkward to control on the Vita. I think I might try that out again on the Vita tv with a pad.

• Upvote 1