Uzi

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - out one week before "brexit" (22nd March)

6 hours ago, Uzi said:

(Hoping it ain't Tenchu anyway - sorry Tenchu fans)

That hurts, man :(

It would make me the happiest nerd on the forum if it turns out to be Tenchu.

I guess a new ip is the next best thing. They've made so many Souls by now, I'm curious about them doing something completely new.

12 minutes ago, sid said:

itll be bloodborne 2 and you'll fucking love it

Surly Sony wouldn't have let them put out a teaser for Bloodborne 2 without some sort of Sony credit or logo seeing as they own the rights? This makes me think it can't be BB2 though I'd love to be wrong. 

There’s still the oddity relating to the Demon servers all going offline at the same time. And what of From’s other work? One team finished up Old Hunters and moved on to this (perhaps) - so are the other team on Armoured Core?

5 minutes ago, Goose said:

There’s still the oddity relating to the Demon servers all going offline at the same time. And what of From’s other work? One team finished up Old Hunters and moved on to this (perhaps) - so are the other team on Armoured Core?

How many teams do they have? I thought they weren't that big a company? They obviously did a lot of work on DS3 post Bloodborne.

There also was a recent tweet telling people to please hold out for a new Armored Core as they were busy with it but couldn't tell anything yet. That in itself seemed to be a pre-emptive strike to calm down the fans as this teaser was going to be shown.

The most logical thing would for this to be a new multiplatform action-RPG IP wholly owned by From based on the good bits of Bloodborne and the Souls series, while another team is making a huge Armored Core update potentially with some of the lessons of the Soulsborne style mixed in (in terms of customisation, factions, and such both series are perhaps pretty close already, it's the game's structure and setting that differs).

I was under the impression there were now two teams - or had been for a while. So while the one team were working on DS2, the other were on Bloodborne. Then once DS2 was done that team moved to DS3 - with maybe team structure/director swaps. The other team finished BB and moved on to this.

BB has long been done so assume this new project is much further along than whatever the DS3 team are working on.

All purely speculation.

My concern is we’ll get a proper trailer at E3 but no release until March 2019 or later.

2 hours ago, Cyhwuhx said:

The most logical thing would for this to be a new multiplatform action-RPG IP wholly owned by From based on the good bits of Bloodborne and the Souls series, while another team is making a huge Armored Core update potentially with some of the lessons of the Soulsborne style mixed in (in terms of customisation, factions, and such both series are perhaps pretty close already, it's the game's structure and setting that differs).

I don't know if it needs the same brutal difficulty or wait-and-bait combat ;) , but an Armored Core with BB's level of world-building/lore and environment design would be fun :D 

Genuine question: what's so great about Tenchu? I don't know a lot about it but my mind labels it as 'mediocre stealth games'. Watching some youtube videos does not really change this image. Seeing the enthusiasm in here makes me think my mind is probably wrong though.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Sane said:

Genuine question: what's so great about Tenchu? I don't know a lot about it but my mind labels it as 'mediocre stealth games'. Watching some youtube videos does not really change this image. Seeing the enthusiasm in here makes me think my mind is probably wrong though.

No, you’re sane.

• Upvote 1

Shinobido, though.  That was fucking legend. 

I can't see it being Tenchu in a literally IP sense.  

I'd happily play a From game more rooted in Japanese mythos though!!  

Has Nioh not somewhat stolen that particular thunder? As much as I had hoped to see a Samurai Souls, I feel like the moment has passed for now.

If Miyazaki's feeling inspired and it's conceptually and mechanically built from the ground up like Demon's, DS1 and Bloodborne, I don't actually care what the setting is. I have a lot of faith in him. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Stanshall said:

Has Nioh not somewhat stolen that particular thunder? As much as I had hoped to see a Samurai Souls, I feel like the moment has passed for now.

If Miyazaki's feeling inspired and it's conceptually and mechanically built from the ground up like Demon's, DS1 and Bloodborne, I don't actually care what the setting is. I have a lot of faith in him. 

Perhaps, but just imagine what these guys would do with it.  I'd wager it'd be at least 1000% more awesome in style/atmosphere/horror than Nioh. 

• Upvote 1

Yes, I think Gerbik is the only person on the planet gagging for more Tenchu

I think this'll be a new IP that takes some cues from their past work and their current successes. I think this idea that developers are really happy to be lumbered with working on a pre-existing franchise exists only on the internet in the minds of nostalgic people, I'm sure most devs would rather work on something creative and new given the opportunity.

1 hour ago, Sane said:

It's the only stealth game I've played where I felt being spotted wasn't completely arbitrary. I've tried various  Deux Exs, Thiefs, Metal Gears, etc. all off the back of how much I love the Tenchu series. Nothing came close. As always your mileage may vary. 

Yeah, the first Tenchu was brilliant. There's absolutely loads of potential there which it seems the sequels largely failed to explore, though I vaguely remember playing the second one and it being OK. And with Miyazaki at the helm.. I think it's pretty exciting.

If they do make a Tenchu game, it does seem a slightly odd thing for From to do, as if they wanted to make an open-world ninja stealth game, I would have thought that they could just make their own IP. I can't see what value the Tenchu name has, it's not like the world or the characters were really compelling in their own right. The interesting thing about Tenchu was the design.

I'm putting money down on it being a new IP that is essentially "Samurai Souls". That seems more in keeping with the Miyazaki-lead From Software. They seem more inclined to take the tech and mechanics of the prior game and do a twist on it while going for a new aesthetic.. that leads to new IP!

This keeps things fresh and avoids the hardcore nerds not endlessly whiny that the game is too much of a departure from the prior game if it was a full blown sequel. 

15 minutes ago, Rsdio said:

They own the rights though don't they? Might as well get some use out of them I suppose.

I'd say the From / Souls brand is probably stronger than the Tenchu brand at the moment.

On 12/8/2017 at 06:32, Stanshall said:

Blood being squeezed out on some Victorian doner kebab thing. Bones used as tools. The lighting.

Looks like a spinning wheel to me, and the colors and lighting combo makes me think of Things Betwixt. Of course its not going to have anything to do with DS2 sadly :(