IGNORED

Great Cinematography Suggestions?

Capwn

I've tried looking to see if there is a similar thread and apart from 'The Study Of Film' thread couldn't really find anything that helped with what is quite a specific question. I'm wanting to buy some blurays for my 20 year old niece who is really into film making at the moment, I'm trying to find some good films outside of the last 5 years. She seems to think 'Drive' is especially great as well as anything by Wes Anderson so anything like that would be a bonus. Films I'm thinking about are;

Hunger

Prestidge

Pans labyrinth

There Will Be Blood

Roger Deakins The Thread.

Some examples in here, but for older than five years, you could go for...

No Country For Old Men

Fargo

True Grit

Also, your niece could join Deakins' own forum and ask questions directly: https://www.rogerdeakins.com/forums/

Rather than specific cinematographers, you could check out the films of someone like Stanley Kubrick which share his visual style...

2001 A Space Odyssey

The Shining

Barry Lyndon

Other examples:

Lawrence of Arabia

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

LA Confidential

JFK

For Drive, specifically...

Barry Lyndon would be my off the wall suggestion (also suggested above) as it is not regarded as being one of Kubrick's best (wrongly) but the cinematography is utterly compelling constructed like a painting come to life. It utilises natural light only in many scenes (including the scenes shot purely by candlelight). It is a masterpiece of cinematography

2001, the Shining and Clockwork orange also are good bets (and often quoted) but someone seriously looking at cinematography I always say Barry Lyndon first.

Raise The Red Lantern - It's superb. Also as mentioned above Wong Kar Wai and his cinematographer Christopher Doyle. My faves of WKW are Happy Together and 2046. All of Kubrick's films are incredibly photographed, the man was renowned for his precise eye and poring over each frame apparently. Drugstore Cowboy has some beautifully shot scenes and montages, for pure inventiveness Gasper Noe's Enter the Void though it's best seen in a cinema or a very big tv in hi def with the lights out. 

I mean there's so many, just last week I watched Wim Wenders The American Friend and that was great and beautifully shot. Definitely check out Raise the Red Lantern though.

Could also try this list: https://mubi.com/lists/colors-of-the-brush-the-cinematography-collection

I have greatly enjoyed rewatching Park Chan-Wook's films. Vengeance Trilogy, Thirst and The Handmaiden are gorgeous films. The rest of his work is also beautiful to watch, but those stand out.

How about some animatdd suggestions? I've lately been rewatching Isao Takahata's films (Only Yesterday best film ever btw) and the blu rays are spectacular. The Tale of the Princess Kaguya is impeccable to watch.

3 hours ago, Cheyenne said:

How about some animatdd suggestions? I've lately been rewatching Isao Takahata's films (Only Yesterday best film ever btw) and the blu rays are spectacular. The Tale of the Princess Kaguya is impeccable to watch.

And Kubo and the Two Strings, as a stunningly beautiful example of stop-motion animation.

12 hours ago, Nick R said:

And Kubo and the Two Strings, as a stunningly beautiful example of stop-motion animation.

Aardman are masters of setting and lighting stop motion - something like the heist scene in The Wrong Trousers, for example.