Dark (Netflix)

Just started watching this last week, really enjoying it. Does make my head hurt at times trying to keep up with it all but things eventually make a bit of sense so it’s all good.  Started season 2 yesterday and that’s just even more complicated. Glad that season 3 isn’t too far away, cant imagine coming to this after a year or so.

Also nice to know that the apocalypse falls on my birthday, that’ll make it an interesting one for sure.

Sic mundus creatus est.

Season 2 was brilliant but one of my strangest memories of it was the most hilariously gratuitous nude scene of all time

where the "teenagers" are swimming in the quarry, one of the dudes sees one of the girls floating and thinks she's drowning. Then she stands up, topless, and says "what's up?" and he goes "nothin'". Or something.

Incredible pointlessness.

Ha just watched that episode... the way everything came together in that episode was fantastic, quite emotional too.

One of the best 54 minutes of telly I’ve seen, not sure where the directions gonna go now after the ending of it.

• 3 weeks later...

Just binged season one in a week and after a slow start loved it. It takes quite a bit of concentration keeping up with all the threads and characters and their different time-zones and how it all interweaves but it pays off. Having said that the unresolved ending, although giving you just enough explanation to stop going mad, was also open enough that I need a break for a while before diving into season 2 to rest my brain.

Season 2 is great too! It does take some concentration to keep track of who's linked to who, but it really does get into such fun timetravel fuckery. Rewatched the whole thing last week as a refresher for season 3 and it's great seeing the early stuff hint at what's revealed later

Finished season 2 and it was pretty rocking throughout but damn son that ending! Not sure if season 3 is going to be amazing or not, I’m here for it tho!

Spoiler

Fox hat girl is her own mother, what? Wait! Aaaaah my brain!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Man, this show sure loves it's shots of people getting out of bed.

2 minutes ago, spork said:

Season 3 is out today. Are there any decent recaps on Youtube that people would recommend?

There's a recap before the first episode starts, although it's not exactly in-depth. 

Netflix starts it off with a recap (only a few mins long), though my GF interrupted me halfway through it so I stopped it and then it never came back even after restarting the app. This probably didn't help with me feeling really lost during the entire episode. I mean this extra 'layer' they have added, as if it wasn't complicated enough. I feel like I need to watch this show with a huge criminal investigation style whiteboard in front of me showing every character's photo/name with strings linking them to each other.

Also is it me or do some of the VFX look horrendous this season? It's like they ran out of time due to the pandemic and some remaining shots had to be done really quick/cheaply.

Just watch S301. I presume it explains it later, but right now I don’t understand how

Adult Jonas doesn’t recognise Space Martha. If he’s never seen her before then how does he exist, bearing in mind the only reason Teen Jonas survived the explosion was because Space Martha saved him?

Just watched episode 1:

Spoiler

- Loved the way they introduced the alternate reality with things being mirrored, very clever.

- so there are 3 universes/timelines now; the original world, the alternative world and 1888?

- the woman covered in black goo was interesting, didn’t recognise her but may well be a new character.

- no idea where they are going with this but a strong start I thought

With the amount of thought requireD to keep the story in check think I’ll tackle this one episode a day.

On 17/06/2020 at 19:34, SpagMasterSwift said:

Hide contents

Fox hat girl...

Spoiler

Her own Grandmother, not mother  

Okay, finished this. Understand everything except one thing, and I can’t find anything online about it. 

Who was

Spoiler

The man in the carriage with the blind child version of “Old man Tannhaus”, and why did he have the “for Charlotte” stopwatch?

I thought it was going to link up with 1970/1980s clockmaker Tannhaus in some way, seeing as he lost his granddaughter Charlotte, and seeing as they focused on the old carriage dude and blind kid when talking about “someone who tried to bring someone back from the dead”.

Why was old man Tannhaus getting Jonas to build the machine? Just doesn’t explain who he is  

16 hours ago, Indy @ S.E. said:

Just watched episode 1:

Hide contents

- Loved the way they introduced the alternate reality with things being mirrored, very clever.

- so there are 3 universes/timelines now; the original world, the alternative world and 1888?

- the woman covered in black goo was interesting, didn’t recognise her but may well be a new character.

- no idea where they are going with this but a strong start I thought

With the amount of thought requireD to keep the story in check think I’ll tackle this one episode a day.

1888 is just the ‘normal’ world afaik? Adult Jonas and the others end up there when they use the time machine just before the explosion in 2020. Presumably they then get stuck there and go on to form Sic Mundus, and we saw them all 33 years later in Season 2, by which point Jonas has become Adam.

The woman covered in goo was just Martha wasn’t it?

4 hours ago, Miner Willy said:

Haven't started this yet: is it as good as the first two seasons?

It’s even more densely complex and requires your undivided attention so yes, it’s business as usual. How they’ve managed to keep the whole thing together is some accomplishment. 

Just finished S03E02, there is so much going on that I think I’m losing the battle to keep on top of it all. If ever a show needed a companion app this is it.

Hoping there’s a eureka moment soon that ties things together nicely, so many different threads going on.

Agree with some of the comments above, the writers must be some god tier strategists to be able to write this.

Also I think I shouldn’t watch this last thing at night, Brains too frazzled by then. Tomorrow will try and watch E03 earlier.

I just have one episode left. Absolutely needs your full attention but I'm loving how the strands are being tied up. Just hope the final episode doesn't shit the bed, it'll be great to rewatch this season with a bit of foreknowledge.

It's reminding me of Primer even more with its mad convolutions

I think now I more admire the show for what it achieves rather than actually enjoy it, because there's very little to latch onto to determine what the fuck is actually going on if you haven't binge watched it from Season 1, and perhaps not even then.

Probably one of the most interesting shows on Netflix though.