rllmuk
Sartre84

Dark (Netflix)

2 hours ago, mdn2 said:

Well, that was fucking great. Although I have no clue where it's going with S3. 

Spoiler

Parallel universes/timelines? Hopefully next season (which I think is supposed to be coming next year) wraps it up, as the ending was some serious blue balling.

• Empathy 1

8 hours ago, Benny said:

Reveal hidden contents

Parallel universes/timelines? Hopefully next season (which I think is supposed to be coming next year) wraps it up, as the ending was some serious blue balling.

That was my take as well. I hope they don't throw too much new stuff into the mix - as great as the show has been explaining convoluted time travel shenanigans it runs the risk of becoming too complex. 

By episode three of S2 I’m back on board and the story really expands out. I have no idea how the makers of this storyboard out the shots and narrative for this. A separate unit for each family/strand. This tops Primer for me.

One of the problems coming to this show late is the complexity becomes harder to deal with when the Internet is ahead of you, I need a big family/connections tree or something to keep it all straight in my head, but not one updated beyond where I'm at!

• Upvote 1

Well that’s cued up nicely for season three, but I’m fearful that the ball of string is getting so ridiculously knotted now it’s hard to keep track of.

One of the most rewarding TV series if you put the time and effort. It is overwhelming with the amount of characters and one of those series which are probably better with a rewatch.

• Upvote 1

I think this show would have benefited from being an episode a week, where you could have youtube vids/podcasts between each episode (and read forum posts). Rather than forcing you to remember an incredible amount of stuff in a short amount of time (if you binge watch like most people)

• Upvote 1

I think it's superb and has been from the 1st episode. The human element in terms of the huge emotional impact on the characters as they struggle against their fates coupled with the intrigue in the wider story arc, the pacing, the sound design.. it's all top drawer!

My wife falls asleep through most episodes and doesn't really get the appeal at all. 

For me it's the perhaps the best thing I've seen on Netflix, and certainly the most impressive show in this genre that I've ever seen.

There's a huge risk it will grind on like so many shows before it and lead to a disappointing conclusion, but I desperately hope the story is all planned and has an ending we can feel satisfied with.

• Upvote 2

Before Series 2 came out I re-watched the entirety of series 1 again. Inspired by NexivRed's post on the first page in this thread I made timelines and family trees as I went and found that reeeeally enjoyable! Thoroughly recommended.

Series 2.. it's still very well done and I do love it. But I feel like the plot might be exploding out of control. A few thoughts:

Spoiler

I think my main criticisms fall into two areas.

Firstly, it's very established (and series 2 compounds this) that there is one timeline, and no one is actually able to do anything different a "second time around" because there is no second time around. I thought initially that this means that no one has any free will and they're all just agents. But on reflection that's not true. It just means that in each specific moment the characters can do anything, but they only do 1 thing. There's no branching of timelines based on different decisions. So it seems like they don't have free will, but they sort of do? Hard to explain. That's how it sits in my head though. It's tough to get your head around, but of course the whole thing is based on a paradox, so that's to be expected.

So, what we're watching is a show where various people have access to the past, but no one is able to change the future (in the traditional sense). Yet we still watch Jonas attempt to change the course of events over and over, which became quite frustrating to me. There's a great moment of dramatic irony in the scene where he shows his dad the letter. But more often than not dramatic tension is actually relaxed by the knowledge that nothing can change. The scene where Claudia kills her dad. You knew it was coming. You knew she couldn't do anything. The tragedy and irony just fell a little bit flat for me (after the Jonas - Michael/Mikkel scene). It really begins to feel, as the series progresses, that it's a story about people who try and change the course of events, set in a world where no one can change the course of events. That has a certain beautiful irony to it, but it's... frustrating, I think is the best word I can find. For me.

My other main criticism is the introduction of time travel beyond 33 year cycles (by Adam's ability to seemingly control his God Particle). For one, it was introduced in a very blasé fashion for something that was such a huge deal. This guy can control time-travel! That's insane! The first season put a massive emphasis on the importance of the 33 year cycle, and this just blows all of that out of the water. But also, it raises an infinite amount of "why doesn't x do y?" questions. If Adam, or any of his.. er.. associates (I guess? dunno what to call them) can jump back do any point in time and do anything.. why haven't they? Why isn't the whole single timeline littered with people arriving at various points out of nowhere (moreso than it already is)? Maybe that's not entirely fair, perhaps more fair to say that it just didn't feel like a very neat and elegant ability to give people in a storytelling sense. It's too powerful.

I think broadly this is why I *love* Primer so damn much. It manages to avoid the standard plot issues with a more believable approach to time-travel. The branching timelines do away with the whole paradox and confusion over free will (or the ability to "change" the course of events).

I still loved Dark, I think I just thought the plot could have been toned down and all of the characters and general atmosphere could have had more room to breathe. But then maybe we had Season 1 for that, and they just went for it with Season 2. And Season 3 will take it to another level again presumably.

• Upvote 2

On 22/07/2019 at 19:11, Capwn said:

I think this show would have benefited from being an episode a week, where you could have youtube vids/podcasts between each episode (and read forum posts). Rather than forcing you to remember an incredible amount of stuff in a short amount of time (if you binge watch like most people)

Indeed. It's also hard to find discussion without earthing up unintended spoilers.

Which is why I've been keeping out of here until we were finished. Awesome stuff.

I guess so many loops have transpired that they've now flooded into a dimension (5th!?) of multiple possible outcomes? Didn't someone mention slight actions that can knock the current loop off balance and produce something to that effect?

Really enjoyed both seasons of this (although the opening of the second season felt a bit like I was watching something that might have been aired on CITV back in the 90s). But I'm super disappointed that it shows no sign of wrapping up. I've got no interest in watching yet another series just tail off into boring plotlines that are eked out just to keep a series alive for as long as possible. 

5 hours ago, Tourist said:

Really enjoyed both seasons of this (although the opening of the second season felt a bit like I was watching something that might have been aired on CITV back in the 90s). But I'm super disappointed that it shows no sign of wrapping up. I've got no interest in watching yet another series just tail off into boring plotlines that are eked out just to keep a series alive for as long as possible. 

The writer has already confirmed the next series will be the final one.

• Upvote 2

Only up to ep 8, but had a proper laugh at

Spoiler

1953 guys being confused at the kids clothes all being from China. "They must not be from around here"

• Upvote 1

Just finished Season 2. This is easily one of my favourite Netflix original shows, up there with Fargo and BCS.

It's impressive how the tone of the second series (more straight up scifi and action) is such a contrast to the first while still feeling true to the world they built up.

I'm glad they're just doing three series and then done.

Spoiler

The time travel model is complete nonsense compared to stuff like Primer (or even BTTF). It's not a problem from a dramatic standpoint but toward the end of S2 it did feel a bit like once we were deep into multiple time periods in Westworld or Lost, and when things were supposed to be happening and what characters' immediate goals were became a bit fuzzy.

Still it can't be easy to write a show where multiple characters are supposed to have complete foreknowledge of events. Also I like that they consciously (almost) never do 'typical' time travel stuff (like hiding equipment for future selves to find, or struggling to deal with old tech/customs, etc.).

Capwn: The eyepatch cop is kind of supposed to be a comic relief character, I think it's lost in translation...

• Upvote 1

I feel like an idiot, as I find it so hard keeping up with which character is which at their various ages. I almost wish they would put small pictures of them at each age as they are onscreen so I know who the hell it is.

• Empathy 1

Netflix normally auto play a recap at the start of a new season. If not, there’s a recap in the “Trailers & more” section for the show. Can’t remember how in dept it is, but maybe give it a go. 

• Upvote 1

Man, I just watched 2.6 and it was absolutely mindfuckingly brilliant.

I had my doubts that they'd be able to expand the narrative in season 2 and keep it all together, but I've been proven very, very wrong so far.

Was just reading a review of 2.6, which made a really great point: in some respects it's extremely reminiscent of the Leftovers' episode titled The Garveys at Their Best. (Another brilliant episode from one of my favourite shows).

... and done with season 2. I think I agree with most of the comments above. I did utterly love 2.6, but not so sure about the finale - it feels like the inclusion of

Spoiler

different dimensions (?)

might tip things over the edge. 

Still, it was a thoroughly enjoyable series. I really hope they can finish it well. 

• Upvote 1