Sartre84

Dark (Netflix)

You know I understand wanting to skip the intro on a show like Friends where it takes up like 2% of the entire episode or whatever, but wanting to skip it before you even saw it? You mad, brother. 

Just finished this and I'll join the positive vibe in here as I also thought it was excellent.

Spoiler

I suspected Mikkel-Michael as soon as he appeared in 86 and Jonas-Stranger from episode 5 when Mikkel-Michael was confirmed, which is really odd as I never ever see twists coming, even really obvious ones. Anyway, neither lessened my enjoyment one bit.

My only struggle was reading the subs I spent less time looking at the actors faces and I mistook people for others several times. For example I thought the Stranger was Jonas' dad for the first couple of episodes.

Loved the design of the Time-Travel device and thought the sound design and soundtrack were both fantastic. The whole thing reminded me of Donnie Darko in places, which for me is a really good thing. All the actors were very good but I thought the boy playing Helge from 53 was especially standout.

I'm really intrigued to see how it opens up as there seem to be multiple ways they could go with it.

• Upvote 3

That was brilliant, the comparison to Stranger Things is unfair, they have some common themes but this isn't paying homage to the 80s in any way and is much darker and grown up.

I thought the performances were superb, the plot intricacies worked brilliantly and were very satisfying to see unfold and work out. It rations out information and twists evenly through the series and pacing of that is perfect, I felt like I was just about ahead of the plot all the time and even when it was confusing it made sense later on. Agreed it was tricky with the faces and names. 

Spoiler

I loved Ulrich's character and how they managed to make all his plot work. His actions were rational to himself, but from the policeman's point of view he was a satanist who tried to murder a child and said he was from the future. That satanist idea then carried on and in the 70s you can see why Leidermen was following that seemingly odd line of enquiry. And then Ulrich in the 80s actually starts acting like a satanist to wind up Leidermen. I just love that.

oh and the soundtrack is amazing!

• Upvote 2

I mentioned this in the Netflix thread but there is a Japanese show called Erased which is supposed be along the same themes as this. I haven't watched it yet but its received positive reviews. It would have to be of a very high calibre to match Dark but it sounds like it might be worth checking out.

6 episodes in and this is really something special. I kind of wish it was on weekly where we could come up with theories. Personally not experienced such intriguing mystery in a show since Lost. 

So so weird that i’ve Only seen it mentioned on this forum. Not come across anyone else who is talking about it.

This thread should be a lot more popular than it is!  This show is really something special.  Just finished it last night and it is one of the best written / acted shows I have seen in a while.  

Hurry up, Season 2.

• Upvote 2

So many questions after finishing this, it was great! The atmosphere created by the soundtrack and setting was captivating.

Spoiler

What did Noah's machine that killed children and burnt their faces actually do? I gathered that it was some sort of experiment to gain control of time travel but is that all we know?

Finished Episode 9. One more to go :( This show.

I must admit though, I'm struggling with the amount of characters and their alternate versions. I can figure out most of the main ones but even at episode 9 I'm seeing a child and wondering who it's supposed to be etc

Finished this last night, easily my favorite original netflix series so far. Been watching/reading explanations on it since, missed quite a lot of things as expected. 

Also this is an interesting theory;

image.png.990c3f6db7b2fd99440e10db36503bcc.png

• Upvote 4

I finished too @Capwn. Nicely sets up for the next series.

Only thing I didnt really get was

Spoiler

why were Noah and his sidekick Helge, putting the kids through the testing of their makeshift time travel chair, when Noah already knew that scruffy Jonas had a machine.

Noah seemingly travels through time (via the wormhole?) anyway as he is the same age in 86 and 2019.

I just started watching this. Impressively, I somehow managed to start with the final episode, and only realised when I went to watch the next one. That may explain why it was almost entirely incomprehensible to me. 

I did at least really enjoy the tone, once I'd worked out to turn the dubbing off and watch with subtitles. I think it feels a lot closer to something like Les Revenants than Stranger Things. 

Right on to episode 1 then...

• Empathy 1

I really enjoyed this. The soundtrack (which flexed my Atmos setup) was astounding. Oddly I found the twist character links easier to track than the characters who you're supposed to recognise through time. Shame that the series didn't properly end too many threads left for the next series.

Finished this yesterday, loved it. Lost track a few times so I had to read an episode synopsis immediately after each one, but I think I understand it now as much as I can. One question

When the future Aleksandr turns up in 86 with a gun and a wound, was that part covered somewhere or is it just 'Boris is on the run'?

Based on the poster I was expecting something about a beastie living in a cave and only watched because my wife likes watching things in German. So far it's two good (this, Deutschland 83), one nicht so gut (Babylon Berlin)

This was really brilliant. Thank you to all of you who recommended it here. I've been singing its praises in real life, and most have either never heard of it or tried the first episode and didn't get on with it. Really hope word of mouth keeps this world alive as I'd love another series. Ticks all my boxes and I will no doubt watch it all again in 6 months or so. It threw up some wonderful paradoxes that I'd never considered before, even though I'm a big fan of the genre. And really top notch acting, atmospherics, photography and plotting. First German TV I've ever watched and all I can say is danke.

I still don't really understand why things start to double up at the end - the letter for example. Is it possible to understand, or does more need to be revealed?

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

9 hours ago, barkbat said:

Really hope word of mouth keeps this world alive as I'd love another series. Ticks all my boxes and I will no doubt watch it all again in 6 months or so. It threw up 

It was actually quite popular enough early on that netflix ordered a 2nd season back in December. Likely to be out in 2019.

I kind of wish this series was an 'episode a week' show, I think it could be one of those shows that is quite fun to discuss in forums and come up with theories between episodes. 

• Upvote 1

I know from someone who works at Netflix that they're struggling to gain a foothold in Germany; it's a country which is quite traditional and resistant to change when it comes to media consumption for some reason. But anyway, it makes sense to keep this in their roster because of the potential appeal to that market, even if it doesn't seem to have been a particularly big hit here or in the US.

I haven't actually gotten around to watching this but it sounds like I need to check it out. Too much to watch!

On 18/01/2018 at 12:22, Capwn said:

Also this is an interesting theory;

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.990c3f6db7b2fd99440e10db36503bcc.png

I assumed that was the case. Seemed pretty clear to me when watching, though I can't recall what was leading me to that.

On 18/01/2018 at 21:15, Miner Willy said:

I just started watching this. Impressively, I somehow managed to start with the final episode, and only realised when I went to watch the next one. That may explain why it was almost entirely incomprehensible to me. 

I did at least really enjoy the tone, once I'd worked out to turn the dubbing off and watch with subtitles. I think it feels a lot closer to something like Les Revenants than Stranger Things. 

Right on to episode 1 then...

I just finished this and absolutely loved it. My bizarre mistake of accidentally watching the final episode first didn't seem to undermine my enjoyment, though the final scene probably didn't have quite the same impact.

I'm looking forward to sitting down with a detailed analysis and checking I understood everything.

Finally finished this. Really enjoyed it and love the fact that it requires your undivided attention to understand what the hell might be going on. 

Kind of of feels like they weren’t totally sure where to go with this but that’s fine. They absolutely go for it at the end of the of the last episode and will be interesting to see how they’re planning to tie all of this together. 

Spoiler

It kind of worked well as a sort of purgatorial time loop between the 3 eras. All the characters being pretty nasty in their own ways.  Now we’ve been left with this battle between good vs evil and presumably a dystopian 2062.  The show will surely struggle to keep 4 timelines going...I suppose they don’t need to revisit 1953 or 1986 again as we’ve seen how they play out...haven’t we?

Anyway, great performances, great take on a topic often done badly and dripping with atmosphere. Well worth a watch. 

• Upvote 1

finished this last night.

phenomenal telly!

benchmark-level storytelling.

second favourite show ever, after halt and catch fire?

i hope the next series doesn’t go too heavy on the future timezones and machinery etc. the present and previous timezones gave a more human side to the storytelling especially the character drama-related content. leave the low budget sci-fi action to the stargate crowd (#FightMe :-D).

• Upvote 1

Thanks to the forum for recommending this. Finished the season and it's a banger.

What starts off as an edgier Stranger Things - with a shameless amount of crossover - soon evolves into a complex and intelligent plotline with great acting. Also a stellar soundtrack really adding to the atmosphere. Yes, it's all quite dour but the clue's in the name. This is very much a mature show with dark (sorry) themes and some quite harrowing scenes. Without spoiling the plot I think a lot of rllmukers from this subforum will definitely appreciate it.

The writing is really good (I watched in the original German with English subtitles), and the overall plot keeps dangling a constant string of mysteries and revelations, as you try to puzzle it all out. It can be hard to keep track of the many characters and intertwining stories but if you invest the brain power it's rewarding.

I thought it might be a standalone series but turns out it's far from that - many things left tantalisingly unexplained and a cool ending leaving me eager for more.

Stick with it for the first few episodes at least as the plot winds up, soon becoming much more than the missing kids/stranger things comparisons.

It might not be as gripping or have the "just watch one more" quality of the very best of TV as its so complex and quite dark, but it's mysteries, excellent production and fine acting kept me going till the end. Looking forward to season 2, assuming it's performed well enough - hope it has as I want to see how it all unfolds, and I love the concept.

• Upvote 2

Couple of points (big plot spoilers):

Although the overall concept has been done before, I really like how there are multiple time periods featuring the same characters, with some using the time portal and the implications of that. It's a pretty amazing feat of plot construction. Also the casting for the actors - getting so many that look alike at different ages - is very impressive.

I thought it's been quite clever in slowly revealing the plot - with twists in each time period - whilst making everything fit in regards to the fixed timeline. Jonas sums it up brilliantly in the last episode when he rants to his grandma about how messed up his relationships are now that he knows Mikkel is/was his father.

It does get very tricky though when hopping between time zones to remember which characters are which, in regards to their future/past selves. More of the 24 style windowed shots showing 50's/80's/00's of the characters would have helped, especially for the characters we don't see too much of - like the power station lady and her daughter.

I had a feeling too that the mystery bearded man (who looks astonishingly like Norman Reedus - has he been in anything else we might have seen?), was an older Jonas before the reveal, but couldn't figure out what his intentions were. The reveal that older Jonas actually starts the time loop whilst trying to destroy it is a cool twist.

I love time travel stories and this has got lots of cool stuff going on, though the mind boggles at the paradoxes and how it all fits together. The writers must have a wall which is way more complex than mad old Claudia's bunker wall of photos and string! I was thinking in the last few episodes, man, it's pretty lame that they only go to the past and not the future... and boom - there you have it! Really looking forward to season 2 with this new twist, learning more about Noah and Claudia, and now 4 timelines to jump around (potentially more if they go back to 1920s). Is the loop set in stone for now, and if so, there's still a lot from season 1 for them to explain!

• Upvote 2