rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Capwn

DailyMail article on David Cage's Detroit

Played the demo, sort of enjoyed it but didn’t push me to purchase. Felt very old in its mechanics, even with the shiny 4K sheen.

Still rockin' those gesture controls like it's 2005, and character movement from the PSone era.

• Empathy 2

It's... interesting that the pictures editor chose to illustrate Rantzen's story about safeguarding children with a photo of her larking about with Jimmy Savile.

• Upvote 2

I like Quantic Dreams output in general  but completely understand others issues with it.  Fahrenheit was one of my favourite PS2 games (even after the beginning!) and having played the demo of Detroit this is now a day 1 purchase.

To see how these types of games should be done you only need to look as far as Until Dawn.

If we're doing bestworst Cage moments, mine is in Beyond when you have to press left and right to turn restlessly in bed before pressing X to drift off.

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, Jolly said:

If we're doing bestworst Cage moments, mine is in Beyond when you have to press left and right to turn restlessly in bed before pressing X to drift off.

That's how I get to sleep every night, so it is completely realistic. 

• Upvote 2

The demo is so painfully the same sort of David cage nonsense, it could be a subplot or dlc for heavy rain or something. Also the camera is all over the fucking shop.

I'll definitely play it as I like the genre of games but I wish it was written by Ron Gilbert, or Tim Schafer perhaps as the style of game could be a point n click successor.

There's some comedy "character says a thing unlike the option you choose" and some ridiculous reactions. I get that everyone hates androids in the world of Detroit but if a negotiator is sent in, the captain wouldn't suddenly flip out if you're asking questions about what's going on. Not least you'd think there would be some concept of who the people are before you're there or maybe in the lift instead of 'oooh, coin flips, just like the choices you'll be making'.

And the cop was called deckard, I mean really.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, K said:

It's... interesting that the pictures editor chose to illustrate Rantzen's story about safeguarding children with a photo of her larking about with Jimmy Savile.

That’s part of the Daily Mail article that originally started this thread. Someone (presumably dadrester) has photoshopped in the Savile pic.

14 hours ago, Comrade said:

That’s part of the Daily Mail article that originally started this thread. Someone (presumably dadrester) has photoshopped in the Savile pic.

That makes a lot more sense.

17 hours ago, b00dles said:

I get that everyone hates androids in the world of Detroit but if a negotiator is sent in, the captain wouldn't suddenly flip out if you're asking questions about what's going on.

I don't mean this as a defence of Cage's atrocious writing, or the extreme heavy-handedness of the demo, but I would say the kind of irrational, prejudiced anger from the captain is something most ethnic minorities* experience far more often than you'd think. Even at a time and place where such an attitude would be self-destructive, I've come to never underestimate the ferocity of bigotry.

*Don't claim to speak on behalf of all, but a supposition built on my own experiences and anecdotes from friends and family.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Yix said:

I don't mean this as a defence of Cage's atrocious writing, or the extreme heavy-handedness of the demo, but I would say the kind of irrational, prejudiced anger from the captain is something most ethnic minorities* experience far more often than you'd think. Even at a time and place where such an attitude would be self-destructive, I've come to never underestimate the ferocity of bigotry.

*Don't claim to speak on behalf of all, but a supposition built on my own experiences and anecdotes from friends and family.

Yeah I know what you mean and totally understand your point but it wasn't even written as though it was about bigoted opinions IMHO. If the captain had said "I thought you androids could use your computer power and know all these answers already" then it would have been related to flipping out because he's a bigot.

I might be misremembering but it came across more like a Phelps in LA noire type flip.

I need to play it again just because I do really enjoy branching storylines but I'll bet the proverbial bollock that 999 or virtues last reward are about a million times better in the branching storylines type game.

I do like reconstructing crimes a lot too, even though this seems to have added nothing to the mechanic from the Arkham games.

Oh and 'turn off stove" gives you the 'family about to have dinner' information is also bloody stupid. There should be other ways of noticing that and wouldn't that potentially have been turned off by all the cops in case of danger? Seemed really weird given the lack of interactivity in the scene in general and that it ended up being a clue.

It's just aggravatingly close to being really good which is why it annoys me so much I think. It should embrace being a game more (like vlr, 999 etc) instead of interactive movie which David cage wants it to be.

Or he just wants to make films but games are still in their infancy enough that his laughable plots, characters and storylines aren't thrown out of pitch meetings as he would going to film companies.

I don't know what to think about Detroit. I have a bad feeling it's going to be like all of Cage's games in being very immersive but ultimately letting you down.  

I finished Beyond: Two Souls the other day (it was free with PSN). For me, Heavy Rain despite its flaws was a great game. Beyond is a mixed bag in comparison. It reminded me of Fahrenheit a lot - in that its very compelling and has amazing moments but is riddled with inconsistencies in writing, pacing and gameplay.

The good things about Beyond - the quieter scenes, some great acting, mysteries which keep you interested. Incredible presentation and Ellen Page with a standout performance, even though uncanny valley rears its head a bit. The overall hook of the game is a good idea too, just like Heavy Rain and Fahrenheit, but it goes right up silly street just as they did. By the end characters you have grown to like have turned into cartoon caricatures.

I personally don't have a problem with the lack of interactivity in Cage's games, as I accept it as an interactive experience rather than a game. But in Heavy Rain I felt like my choices really mattered and there was a lot of tension. Because Beyond is split into short chapters jumping around the timeline, it feels like your decisions have no impact on the overall story. The choices you make with Aiden too are so restrictive, and the inconsistencies in what you can and can't do with him makes you feel like you don't really have control. The end result is that although I would have liked to see how chapters turned out on a second playthrough, it never seemed worth it especially with so many slow bits in the game.

Despite its many great moments, in the end I was disappointed with Beyond. The way the story descended into a pulpy mess, the cast acting way out of character to my choices (the worst was Jodie confessing her love to an asshole even after I'd rejected him as her multiple times). The way the big mysteries end up being not very interesting after all, the abundance of cliches, the pervy shower scenes.

What frustrates me the most is that when these games are good, they are at the height of what immersive narrative can offer. Where you feel invested in the characters, the action, where you feel real emotion and tension at your decisions. With amazing graphics which only add to the sense that these are real people. But then some generic black cloud sci-fi monster shows up, or two people who have no connection suddenly have sex, or any other Cageisms appear to spoil it all.

And Detroit already shows all the signs of being this set of contradictions all over again, based on what we've seen so far. Good bits vs ridiculous writing, or controversy, or going off the rails.

Maybe Cage can prove us all wrong, I wish he could, but I doubt it. What he needs is someone to work with to reign in his madness and bigotry, and shape his visions into something that hits the mark instead of stroking the mark and then licking it.