Super Mario Odyssey - Hall of Fame: 999 problems but a Peach ain't one

Nespresso

On 25/01/2018 at 13:24, Kevvy Metal said:

You've missed out loads of the game. 

Obviously it depends on the specific moons he hasn't got yet, but if I'd have stopped when I got to 500 I would have missed out very little of the game.

1 hour ago, deKay said:

Obviously it depends on the specific moons he hasn't got yet, but if I'd have stopped when I got to 500 I would have missed out very little of the game.

Thats not even remotely true. I’m at around 800 and if I’d stopped at 500 then I’d of missed out loads of it, loads of unique wee challenges. 

Unless you’re one of ‘those’ people who feels you’ve “seen everything the game has to offer” after like five minutes. 

53 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Thats not even remotely true. I’m at around 800 and if I’d stopped at 500 then I’d of missed out loads of it, loads of unique wee challenges. 

Unless you’re one of ‘those’ people who feels you’ve “seen everything the game has to offer” after like five minutes. 

But of the remaining 500 moons, over 100 aren't even part of the game, and a lot of them are just slight variations on previous ones, or are "find toad/peach/guy with hat eyes/thing through the binoculars/etc". Certainly not unique.

33 minutes ago, deKay said:

But of the remaining 500 moons, over 100 aren't even part of the game, and a lot of them are just slight variations on previous ones, or are "find toad/peach/guy with hat eyes/thing through the binoculars/etc". Certainly not unique.

Ok, I know there’s about 830 unique moons in the game, and you have to buy 170 of them — an interesting mechanic I might add that allows you to push through moon requirement barriers by buying them — and how many of those other moons are the quick and easy ones?

Not that many I’d say, so even if around another 100 are quick and easy moons — which are great fun regardless and help to mix up the pace and flow of the game — that would leave an extra 230 moons to obtain. 

That like an extra 50% of the game which is hardly “very little of the game”. 

...and I’m being pedantic here, because honestly, who gives a flying fuck about which percentage of the moons require a skilled task to obtain and which are given for doing a wee fun thing?

That’s the fucking point of the game, is a giant bag of haribo pick n’ mix that wants to give you a little hit of joy by being inquisitive and straight up playful. 

On 27 January 2018 at 16:18, Kevvy Metal said:

Ok, I know there’s about 830 unique moons in the game, and you have to buy 170 of them — an interesting mechanic I might add that allows you to push through moon requirement barriers by buying them — and how many of those other moons are the quick and easy ones?

Not that many I’d say, so even if around another 100 are quick and easy moons — which are great fun regardless and help to mix up the pace and flow of the game — that would leave an extra 230 moons to obtain.

That like an extra 50% of the game which is hardly “very little of the game”.

...and I’m being pedantic here, because honestly, who gives a flying fuck about which percentage of the moons require a skilled task to obtain and which are given for doing a wee fun thing?

That’s the fucking point of the game, is a giant bag of haribo pick n’ mix that wants to give you a little hit of joy by being inquisitive and straight up playful.

Last night I was just messing around with Mario in the Luncheon Kingdom, long jumping over some pillars.  Got to the last pillar and the controller was rumbling, yup, a moon!  So technically this was a boring find the correct spot to ground pound moon as opposed to something unique but it was great seeing that Nintendo had anticipated me doing that.

8 hours ago, Chooch said:

Last night I was just messing around with Mario in the Luncheon Kingdom, long jumping over some pillars.  Got to the last pillar and the controller was rumbling, yup, a moon!  So technically this was a boring find the correct spot to ground pound moon as opposed to something unique but it was great seeing that Nintendo had anticipated me doing that.

It's an art moon, so you're shown it's there. You just got it accidentally :)

Made it!

Thought I'd post some Koopa Freerunning times  as well in case anyone wants to challenge them.

Mushroom Kingdom: 00:13.96

Cap Kingdom: 00:29.37

Cascade Kingdom: 00:21.34

Sand Kingdom: 00:33.22

Wooded Kingdom: 00:27.18

Lake Kingdom: 00:37.32

Lost Kingdom: 00:36.26

Metro Kingdom: 00:21.61

Seaside Kingdom: 00:27.23

Snow Kingdom: 00:22.75

Luncheon Kingdom: 00:40.32

Bowser's Kingdom: 01:28.78

Moon Kingdom: 00:52.81

Mushroom Kingdom: 00:13.57

Cap Kingdom: 00:24.32

Cascade Kingdom: 00:19.17

Sand Kingdom: 00:30.97

Wooded Kingdom: 00:25.45

Lake Kingdom: 00:22.76

Lost Kingdom: 00:28.00

Metro Kingdom: 00:19.93

Seaside Kingdom: 00:28.67

Snow Kingdom: 00:16.97

Luncheon Kingdom: 00:25.35

Bowser's Kingdom: 01:20.52

Moon Kingdom: 00:38.01

These are mine. @David Heath you beat me on seaside kingdom.  I'm pretty much done with koopa speedruns now though. I know i could get a second off Metro Kingdom.

Argh, thought I was done with Koopa Freerunning but that Bowser Kingdom time was waaaaay better than mine so I had another go. You're still beating me in Cap and Sand (that's a Proclaimers song) @Darhkwing!

Mushroom Kingdom: 00:13.36

Cap Kingdom: 00:24.40

Cascade Kingdom: 00:18.05

Sand Kingdom: 00:31.66

Wooded Kingdom: 00:23.96

Lake Kingdom: 00:21.95

Lost Kingdom: 00:25.24

Metro Kingdom: 00:18.06

Seaside Kingdom: 00:27.18

Snow Kingdom: 00:16.58

Luncheon Kingdom: 00:20.13

Bowser's Kingdom: 01:19.29

Moon Kingdom: 00:36.92

8 minutes ago, SeanR said:

this popped up on my twitter feed

https://medium.com/@jonathanbeach19/999-problems-becoming-one-of-the-super-mario-odyssey-elite-35982ed391fe

so I'm all like:

popular british gaming forum?

12,000 active members?

who the fuck are they? Because the article doesn't mention it by name.

Then I googled 999+club+mario , and ended up back here. :facepalm:

I think the bloke who wrote that is labouring the point a bit. Getting 999 moons really isn't that difficult. Most of them are just hidden and can be looked up. There's not really that many that actually require huge amounts of skill to pick up.

Just now, Jamie John said:

I think the bloke who wrote that is labouring the point a bit. Getting 999 moons really isn't that difficult. Most of them are just hidden and can be looked up. There's not really that many that actually require huge amounts of skill to pick up.

except the skipping rope one, amirite?

50 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

There's only maybe three moons that are actually difficult, and two of them are doable with practice.

Finally did it! Was a bit of a grind towards the end getting the coins I needed for the last few levels, but did it in the end. 

The only bits where it felt a bit soul destroying were the Breakdown Road moons on the Dark Side of the moon and the moving platform section with the rainbow hedgehogs on the Darker Side level. 

Oh oh and the skipping/jumping 100 times bits, which can basically die in a fire. 

The game was lovely though, particularly the ending of the Darker Side level. Loads of great content after the first ‘ending’, sad that most people will probably skip most of it, as it’s where some of the most imaginative levels can be found. 

4928AA88-BAC7-4380-91F0-930EA1879B8C.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...