Sign in to follow this  
Mr Do 71

Incredibles 2

Not much has been released about the movie, but we do know it'll be set moments after the 2004 movie ended, and will find the family working together again with Frozone (Samuel L. Jackson) to thwart a new villain.

Of course, given that it's Bird and his team, there will be more to it than that. 

Incredibles 2 arrives for US audiences on 15 June next year, before leaping over a tall building to land in the UK on 13 July.

• Upvote 2

I'm a bit surprised this is going to take place soon after events in the first film. I was expecting it to be set several years later, when the kids are grown up and the parents are more elderly - that might have made for some interesting changes in the family dynamic. But I'm still looking forward to it nonetheless.

That trailer certainly follows the lead of the teaser and the posters in focusing a lot more on Bob staying at home parenting than on the action. I wonder what the balance will be in the final film? If they stick to that focus, it'll a be novel: in the dozens of superhero films we've had since the first Incredibles, the only two main heroes I can think of who are parents are Hawkeye and Ant-Man.

Also, the gag about him being unable to understand his son's maths homework... It's probably just a joke about how that happens with every generation of kids and parents and school teaching methods, but given the '60s setting, it could be a comment on the New Math that American kids (including, probably, Brad Bird) were taught then.

EDIT: OK just rewatched the trailer. Turns out that the title of the book explicitly shows that this is the reference!

That's the problem with The Incredibles, the 'home' parts are by far the best but because it's a kids film it has to resort to a 2nd and 3rd act of tedious Saturday morning cartoon mayhem.

• Upvote 1

Got to say, that trailer really doesn’t give me much confidence. “Elastigirl goes adventuring while Mr Incredible stays at home” is just the plot from the first film reversed, so it looks like it might fall into the old “sequel is a beat-by-beat retread of the original” trope. And are they seriously doing the dad finding out that looking after children is hard as his plot? Seems like a cutting edge subject straight from 1983.

Speaking of dated references, “New Math”?! I get the film has a 60s aesthetic, but this seems like Brad Bird has fallen into some kind of Boomer diabetic coma.

• Upvote 2

I knew this was coming but haven't seen anything of it until now.  I'm a bit disappointed they've not aged them and set it later than the original, maybe not the full 14 years later but could have done something. 

• Empathy 1

On 16/02/2018 at 11:55, Comrade said:

Got to say, that trailer really doesn’t give me much confidence. “Elastigirl goes adventuring while Mr Incredible stays at home” is just the plot from the first film reversed, so it looks like it might fall into the old “sequel is a beat-by-beat retread of the original” trope. And are they seriously doing the dad finding out that looking after children is hard as his plot? Seems like a cutting edge subject straight from 1983.

Speaking of dated references, “New Math”?! I get the film has a 60s aesthetic, but this seems like Brad Bird has fallen into some kind of Boomer diabetic coma.

As the parent of a 10 year old, I can confirm they are still changing how maths is taught. 

33 minutes ago, Pelekophoros said:

As the parent of a 10 year old, I can confirm they are still changing how maths is taught. 

"New math" was a particular brief educational movement in America in the 60s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Math

It's not a general reference to maths changing over time, it's a specific reference for Boomer nostalgia.

Watched this today;

The short is pretty good, interesting character designs  that makes it feel unique and the story is one of the strongest compared to recent Pixar shorts.

I'm a bit weird with Incredibles. With the first one I loved the mundane 'family' moments but the action bits I just found myself admiring the animation and sort of zoning out of the 'plot'. There never seems to be any real sense of danger. I think Incredibles 2 felt the same way where the best parts really just involve the dad and kids interacting with each other. The Mum character has an elevated role in the sequel which is a shame as she's not that entertaining.

I just love the animation though, Brad Bird seems so incredibly good at adding those 'extra' little details that are often missing from other similar films.

It's really just more of the same and for many people that will indeed be incredible.

I enjoyed it, not being a particularly big fan of the original. The plot main plot seemed a bit predictable and tired though. I saw it at a preview and in the Q&A they did say they cut a year off the production so that maybe would have given them more time on main story. The family part was much better and there were plenty of laughs.

The bad guy being the person who hired and was helping them just seemed too obvious and overused (even if it was the sister)

This has taken $180,000,000 in its opening weeks on the U.S.

Biggest animated film opening of all time beating Dory by $45 million! And the 8th biggest opening of all time for anything in the states.

I know the original is beloved, but I doubt they were expecting that. It's only $12 million away from overtaking Solo already.

People have waited a very long time for it though so I'm not surpised. Also if you're in my shoes, I was 18 when the first came out, now I'm going to be taking my daughter to the 2nd. So plenty of people who wanted to see the sequel will be taking kids.

Saw this last night as a secret cinema screening with Cineworld. The first is my favourite Pixar film, so had a lot to match up to.

Views below (avoiding major plot spoilers)

Spoiler

The story did feel a little like a retread and the main villain was not as compelling or interesting as Buddy/Syndrome was in the first. The family dynamic was as fun to watch though; maybe more so than the first.

The character animation was wonderful. So many little nuances in the characters' faces and bodies. Even a simple scene of Bob and Helen talking in bed was joyous to watch. I wonder if any motion capture was used to help.

The action set pieces were fantastic; inventive and well-staged. I was never left in doubt about where characters were or what was going on.

Yeah, Brad Bird showed off his Ayn Randian view of the world in Tomorrowland, ie the strong and/or intelligent should automatically be in charge. Objectivist bollocks, basically. 

Saw this on Thursday, the short is great & the film is very, very good. 

I can’t even remember the first film, probably only seen it the once but that didn’t really affect my enjoyment. 

It’s basically a film about the baby, who is just incredible, no pun intended. I can’t see any parent failing to enjoy this.