rllmuk
MW_Jimmy

The Wii Appreciation Thread

On 28/01/2019 at 22:08, acidbearboy said:

I had 1000 points still on my account. Think I bought a bunch of cheap points cards years ago and never got around to spending them all. Purchased NES Zelda and SMS Phantasy Star for 500 points each. Also downloaded that Skyward Sword patch, just in case. 

Whats the Skyward Sword patch? I have the game but never booted it up...

23 hours ago, deKay said:

It doesn't work on the Wii U, if that's where you're looking.

Oh, that’s odd - didn’t know there were any that didn’t work on the Wii U...well, guess that’s why then!

1 minute ago, luth714 said:

Oh, that’s odd - didn’t know there were any that didn’t work on the Wii U...well, guess that’s why then!

I think it’s the only one.

Just set my Wii up again after been in its box for a few years!

Mainly for Wii Fit as I loved doing a bit of Yoga on it and my other half is intrigued! 

Still a great little system and its just so much fun to play... Think I'll be now revisiting the Mario Galaxies... 

Doesn't even look to bad on the 55" flat panel either via standard composite. I expect there is some internal voodoo going on inside the TV to smooth the rough edges a bit....

8 hours ago, MattyP said:

Just set my Wii up again after been in its box for a few years!

Mainly for Wii Fit as I loved doing a bit of Yoga on it and my other half is intrigued! 

Still a great little system and its just so much fun to play... Think I'll be now revisiting the Mario Galaxies... 

Doesn't even look to bad on the 55" flat panel either via standard composite. I expect there is some internal voodoo going on inside the TV to smooth the rough edges a bit....

The component cable (5 phono) is amazing on the Wii, the colours are gorgeous.

12 hours ago, dumpster said:

The component cable (5 phono) is amazing on the Wii, the colours are gorgeous.

Need to pick one of those up! After playing with the Wii for a couple of hours forgot how much fun the thing is.... just nice to pop a disc in and have a play for a hour or so at a time. Been playing Wario Smooth Moves. Quite amusing as it was mainly derided by the gaming community but I can see why it was so popular now with the population in general now that I'm a bit older and generally have less time for gaming. Great dip-in and dip-out entertainment. Of course Zelda and Mario are still there for the depth, But everything is easy to pick up and get involved in. My other half who never really plays games loves it because she can just get on and enjoy having an experience. Which is different to when I tried to play some co-op Gears Of War 4 a few years back with her. Had to spend a while explaining the controls... then how to actually play the game. She just got bored... anyway the Wii is back in the living room having a new lease of life. I actually value it more that my other consoles at the moment. Wii Fit and Super Mario Galaxy 1/2.... its a great system, 

• Upvote 1

For me, the Wii is the last console that wasn't ruled by overpriced, sprawling epic games, in-game purchases, loot boxes, 30Gb day one patches, long tutorials, waiting to install, full hard drives, etc. It's when gaming peaked. There's never been a better racer than Burnout 2, a better platformer than Mario Galaxy. A modded Wii with all your games on a hard drive is the best thing ever. And most of the games are 50p at Cex.

• Upvote 6

Burnout 2 was GC, no?

I'm not in the 'all Wii games are nerfed with pointless waggle' camp, but some titles were. I think deBlob is an example of that. Games where you need to jump, really need a button for that or the lag between gesture/waggle and action is too much.

Apart from that, I agree, the offline-liness of it was great.

48 minutes ago, dumpster said:

For me, the Wii is the last console that wasn't ruled by overpriced, sprawling epic games, in-game purchases, loot boxes, 30Gb day one patches, long tutorials, waiting to install, full hard drives, etc. It's when gaming peaked. There's never been a better racer than Burnout 2, a better platformer than Mario Galaxy. A modded Wii with all your games on a hard drive is the best thing ever. 

Nail on head. This is it isn't it? I am really enjoying not having patches and constant advertising babble from the manufacturer or the distraction of other media things. I do miss the news service though used to love catching up on that when I first switched my Wii on before starting a game up. 

I actually think the Wii has a hugely diverse set of activities on it too... Wii Fit? Wii Sports? Then onto the more traditional Mario and Zelda games. Not sure if I ever cared about it not having a FIFA or a CoD game on it (better IMHO because it DIDN'T). In fact it was a relief! Oh and I forgot it works with my GameCube games too.. So F-Zero GX, Pikmin here we come.

To a degree its a shame seemingly everything these days has to have an online mode or is focused on online gameplay. I have recently being playing a few board games with my sons and then playing some split screen Mario Kart on the Switch. Had a lot of fun... much more social. Nothing beats seeing the reaction of someone in real life when you best them at something....

Sounding old skool now.... :)  But sometimes progress isn't always better. Things are lost along the way. I fully expect things will go full circle at some point - as is the seemingly strange habit in tech as it has become almost like the fashion industry these days. "Social" gaming where you play together on a sofa with a few drinks will be the cool new thing in a few years.. mark my words! :) The Wii will rise again and become retro chic... 

58 minutes ago, dumpster said:

A modded Wii with all your games on a hard drive is the best thing ever. And most of the games are 50p at Cex.

Now that sounds interesting might have to investigate that. It would be great not having the whirring of the DVD drive all the time! Is it an easy thing to do? Since the online service for the Wii was pulled a while back simply no reason to not mod it now.... 

EDIT : Great guide here: https://lifehacker.com/how-to-back-up-and-play-your-wii-games-from-an-external-5518518

30 minutes ago, Camel said:

There's a guide on this very forum.

Awesome! I really should use the search box a bit more... but appreciate the nudge thank you....

Tentatively thinking about giving up on modern console gaming.

Shock. 

Well the way I look at it is that I have a PC which has gamepass on it so can play the Xbox content I want to. The games I mostly enjoy are driving games and I don't have a compatible wheel for my XBox (I do on PC). And Oculus rift would be awesome on the PC! The Xbox One X hardly gets any use these days because of the PC and well... I generally play on my old 360 (Kinect and fitness games) and some other stuff and now the Wii. With a dash of the Switch for good measure. 

To me "modern" console gaming may as well be a PC because its no different now with the huge patches etc and the download speeds are so much quicker than on the Xbox (which is traffic managed/throttled by MS anyway). 

Only reason I have a XBox One X is for the children when they come over really and its a convenient 4K media box in a compact unit. I'll still keep it but probably never hardly play games on it....and its really not worth a huge deal to sell on anyway. Also it plays Ultra HD blurays should I ever get the urge! :) 

So time to purchase a remote control for the X (using the pad as media control device is a PITA). I'm going old school for consoles now and all my other high end / cutting edge gaming will be done on the PC. Makes sense. Also be nice to go grass roots with console games and actually enjoy the essence of what console gaming was about before MS and Sony twisted it around... simple. efficient. fun. accessible. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Mallet said:

Buying a game, bringing it home then putting it in your console and being able to play immediately is one thing I really miss.

This is sooo, true. Bought the kids a Lego game today for the Switch, 6 or 7 minute download before it can be played...

Picking up a copy of New Super Mario Bros for the Wii tonight... excited! :)

I think this is the one that was multiplayer (up to 4 people) on the screen simultaneously? 

Yeah, for me the best platformer ever (I haven't played the sequels, nor Super Mario Maker/Maker 2 yet).

Played this with my little cousins years ago, it was the most fun we had ever.

• Upvote 1

Good news everyone: my Nintendo Wii has officially found its way back beneath the TV in the lounge. No longer is it consigned to storage; it's sitting proudly alongside my PS4 and Switch. There's so much to love on the Wii. The Metroid Prime trilogy, Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort, Excite Truck... these games have lost nothing with age. I'm also able to enjoy many of these games with my six year old twins. Tennis and Bowling on Wii Sports, Kirby, and Mario Galaxy are all big hits, and they're certainly getting more enjoyment out of Just Dance 2 than I ever did. 

Not only does Wii have a huge library of its own games, the GameCube compatibility adds another whole layer of potential gaming greatness. (Looking back on it now, it's something only Nintendo would have done... adding GC compatibility to their new console, with sockets for four controllers and two memory cards tucked away in the hardware).

I've come to appreciate the Wii more as time has passed. There's huge potential for multiplayer (accessible) fun, and there's plenty of single-player action to get lost in too. Since transferring all my Wii game saves to my Wii U and - er- selling my Wii U, I've lost all my saves. But that's ok, because it gives me a good excuse to play through all these again...

51588739_364979357656866_5947954845928217694_n.jpg

• Upvote 6

Been having enormous amounts of fun and getting fitter courtesy of the Wii Fit (Yoga is great!!!), Long live the Wii! Think I got a bit blinded by tech over the years love the pure gaming fun this is offering all over again. Now just need to get it hacked because not sure how long my drive in the Wii is going to last now... its being making some funny noises of late and not loading Wii Fit all the time :-\

• Upvote 1

Has anybody or their kids played any of the shovel ware for Wii. I see a lot of games with ponies or Dora the explorer for example, that look like they would be suitable for my young daughters, but I imagine a lot of them are tripe. Any recommendations?

Batman: Brave and The Bold (which way around is that?) is very good.

Also, Marvel Ultimate Alliance holds up, just.

Tangled is pretty dull, but Brave isn't terrible.