rllmuk
MW_Jimmy

The Wii Appreciation Thread

18 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

I've just got myself an HDMI adapter thing for my Wii, since I don't tend to fire up the CRT anymore. I figure I'll play it more on the monitor on my desk.

Going to start with Ghost Squad, then move on to those classics I've never touched - Mario, Smash Bros, F-Zero... I may even play a Zelda for the first time in my life.

Is there a decent Bomberman on Wii?

Super Bomberman 1,2,3,4 and 5 on SNES or PC Engine. PC Engine supports upto 5 players though '94 is the best I think.

4 is probably the best, 5 wasn't released in English on SNES.

Theres also Bomberman Blast on WiiWare which is very fun. But I like the pixel style of the SNES ones, and theres multiplayer co-op adventure mode (:

Orr Bomberman World for PS1 is also fantastic and looks great and runs like a charm on WiiSXR (:

Also a couple GC ones like Jetters and that which are very fun! Also Bomberman 64 runs well. 

I'd say Bomberman peaked at Bomberman 2 DS or Bomberman Saturn with 10 player online support.

4 hours ago, buizel said:

Super Bomberman 1,2,3,4 and 5 on SNES or PC Engine. PC Engine supports upto 5 players though '94 is the best I think.

4 is probably the best, 5 wasn't released in English on SNES.

I didn't even know there was anything past the first one on SNES. Which is odd, considering how much I loved it back in the day.

23 hours ago, Camel said:

I had no idea Saturn Bomberman supported online at all.  Wikipedia suggests it's only four players though.

My bad I think I'm confused the 10 players with online. The game deffo supports 10 players but you're probably right with only allowing 4 online.

Did you know the Mega Drive also had online functionality - only a few games supported it. There was also a FPS that allowed console-link gameplay for 2 players called Zero Tolerance, and is totally awesome! You just hook up port 2 to port 2 in another console and BAM system link. You can even make the system link accessory yourself, the guide is available online. It's my favourite FPS on the MD (even if its not the most technically impressive one on the system)

maxresdefault.jpg

19 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

I didn't even know there was anything past the first one on SNES. Which is odd, considering how much I loved it back in the day.

Oh yeah they all ramped up the craziness with each iteration, I think 3,4 and 5 had the Roo's which have abilities and also act as a shield.

il_570xN.1185123400_obio.jpg?version=0super-bomberman-4-rom.jpg

They also made some wacky bombermen designs for 4/5 like Ninja bomberman/fat bomberman etc. I'm pretty sure Bomberman 3/4/5 all support 5 players on SNES/TurboGrafx

Can someone explain Smash Bros to me? It just seems to be mindless button mashing, yet I know it's popular at tournaments and stuff. 

I think my copy (and it is a copy, which might explain it) is borked - it only plays the one fmv throughout the story mode.

On 31/01/2018 at 19:59, earlymodernsteve said:

Disaster: Day of Crisis is always a fave too. The escalation is terrific and it just keeps throwing new things at you. 

Just ordered that one actually.

Looks good, and Rudderless swears by it, so I look forward giving it a try later.

Dunno if many Wii fans know this, but the Wii U upscales Wii games brilliantly. In fact if anything the Wii U is/was worth it just to play your entire Wii collection through glorious HDMI :)

• Upvote 1

Important to mention it's not actually upscaling though, for those who care about such things. It's not that big a bump in looks past one of those HDMI converters for the Wii.

3 minutes ago, Rob Rule said:

It's not that big a bump in looks past one of those HDMI converters for the Wii.

I didn't know that existed.

Still, the Wii U: an excellent platform to play your old Wii games on.

Ah the Wii - I still have mine. 

None of the multiplayer options in games work now, right?

Now that I have three kids, I'm wondering if it's time to get this one out again...?

I'm playing Batman: The Brave And The Bold at the moment.

It's very easy and not very long, but it has fantastic looking animation, a fair bit of replay value and a decent combat system. It's pretty funny as well, with good interplay between the main characters. Picked it up from CEX at the weekend for a bargainous £2.50.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, strider said:

I'm playing Batman: The Brave And The Bold at the moment.

It's very easy and not very long, but it has fantastic looking animation, a fair bit of replay value and a decent combat system. It's pretty funny as well, with good interplay between the main characters. Picked it up from CEX at the weekend for a bargainous £2.50.

I’ve never played it enough, but wondered if it shared some engine similarities with the Tintin Secret of the Unicorn game which I played on the Wii...bar the 2d sprites. 

I quite like like some easy going cheap Wii games that don’t turn into 60hr games that I just don’t have the time for now...

18 hours ago, Smoothy said:

Ah the Wii - I still have mine. 

None of the multiplayer options in games work now, right?

Now that I have three kids, I'm wondering if it's time to get this one out again...?

My kids (2, 4 & 7) have just recently been introduced to Wii Sports, having never really played much in the way of games, except the occasional cebeebies thing on their tablets. They love bowling and golf. Going to dig out the other Wiimotes and try them with tennis...

Does anyone know if Mario Kart has a kids mode type thing, so the younger ones can play it?

It has an "automatic" mode where you don't have to powerslide but you still have to steer/accelerate. 

Boom Blox would be good for the kids if you have it? Just make sure they put the wrist straps on!

Not even sure where my (softmodded) wii actually is, but I got an HDMI adaptor for it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0718WBZ9G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

because I have to get a bunch of stuff connected to whatever TV I eventually get for the games room. (and fire an AIWA SE2130 into the sun).

Does anyone have any experience thereof?

35 minutes ago, SeanR said:

Not even sure where my (softmodded) wii actually is, but I got an HDMI adaptor for it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0718WBZ9G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

because I have to get a bunch of stuff connected to whatever TV I eventually get for the games room. (and fire an AIWA SE2130 into the sun).

Does anyone have any experience thereof?

OSSC all day long. Throw that bad HDMI upscaler in the bin. 

https://www.videogameperfection.com/products/open-source-converter/

We all invest enough time in this hobby to maybe treat our eyes to an image that's not a blurry mess?

Get an OSSC and have a cocktail to celebrate.

Unfortunately my new TV doesn't have component so I ended up picking up one of those wii2hdmi adapters. It does a really good job for the price, the picture quality is good but occasionally it does some funny things with the sound, making a clicking noise. 

Worth it if it's the only option though, other than spending £160 on a scaler! 

5 hours ago, dumpster said:

Wii looks fantastic over component, which for me is the better option because it frees up a HDMI on the TV.

Agreed. I don’t use the wii2hdmi at all. Component works great and supports VC games. 

I’ve got 1800 Wii points to use up before end of Jan and wanted to spend it on Wii Ware.

Lost Winds is no longer listed - anyone know why?

was tempted to get 3 of the art style games (have Cubelo and Bit Trip already) but was also thinking about Excitebike too...

6 hours ago, Camel said:

Only possible if you already have points in your account though. I don't think you can add points any more.

Ah yes, of course. I forgot that. 

My Wii tale is a sad one... when I bought a Wii U a few years ago, I used the transfer tool to grab all my data from my Wii. But I subsequently sold the Wii U (we never really saw eye-to-eye) and so I lost the games I had previously downloaded from the Wii store.

I was hoping to purchase some of them again (especially Super Turrican), but I now realise that without any Wii points, I can no longer do so. 

To add to my woes, I couldn't even download any extra songs to my Just Dance game!!! What a cruel world we live in. 

I had 1000 points still on my account. Think I bought a bunch of cheap points cards years ago and never got around to spending them all. Purchased NES Zelda and SMS Phantasy Star for 500 points each. Also downloaded that Skyward Sword patch, just in case. 

On 06/01/2019 at 12:50, luth714 said:

Lost Winds is no longer listed - anyone know why?

It doesn't work on the Wii U, if that's where you're looking.