MW_Jimmy

The Wii Appreciation Thread

Save for the gross silver stand, look at this - it's like someone took my cherry fantasy and made it a reality

nintendowiiredsystemwii.jpg

Look at that fucking colour. LOOK AT IT. tHAT'S RIGHT WE LOVEEE THE SHOVELWARE give it toioo meee

3pwall1010_namcowallofshame.jpg3pwall1005_thqwallofshame.jpgactualshovelware.png3pwall1006_majescowallofshame.jpg

(jks my fave console)

7 hours ago, Nobuo's Organ said:

The WiiOAT, thousands of hours of Monster Hunter 3 across 3 consoles began on the Wii.

I really tried getting into Monster Hunter on the Wii, and just couldn't. I found the initial missions far too slow and pointless and I never really understood how I should be progressing. I'm hoping to get into it with Monster Hunter World which I'm hoping will have benefited from years of further refinement.

I've played tonnes of PSO and Toukiden, so there isn't any real reason why I shouldn't enjoy MH series too.

Yeah, the opening was so clunky it beggars belief that somebody designed it that way; you either had to have been sold on the concept or been using the Monster Hunter Wiki from the start.

4 separate intro quests to introduce you to some mechanics which could been as easily introduced in one, then you're into the game proper but with only minor quests available (gather X of some item, kill X small creatures). Only 3 of those are key quests (which open up an urgent quest, which allows you to progress to the proper monster hunting) but the game doesn't tell you which ones! By the time you get to the first proper monster you've potentially gone through 11 boring quests, one of which is an optional and incredibly tedious fishing quest.

Sorry for the big bump but I played a few Wii games at the weekend and feel myself getting back into the system.

Klonoa

This is a remake of the original PlayStation game and it's good fun. It's not particularly massive (there are 6 or seven stages consisting of two acts each) but there's lots of replay value as there are a number of prisoners to rescue on each stage. I've also unlocked a time attack and mirror mode upon completing the game, which is pretty decent as well. It's a fairly simple 2.5d adventure but some of the later stages do get quite complicated and there's some lovely boss fights too. All in all it's a pretty decent game and I really enjoyed it. I'm not sure it's worth the £50 it currently goes for, though.

Deadly Creatures.

Only in videogames can you play as a spider and a tarantula whilst listening to a back story of two treasure hunters played by Billy Bob Thornton and Dennis Hopper (I shit you not). I'm now halfway through Deadly Creatures and it's a really, odd game. It's essentially a Metroidvania as you continually return to a main hub by unlocking new abilities (which range from being able to jump from web to web, to using the scorpion's pincers to cut through certain shrubbery). There are also motion-based fatalities and boss fights against things like Gila monsters. It's a truly bizarre game and I'm really hoping that the final showdown is with Dennis Hopper's foot. I'll probably have it completed tonight so will let you know.

• Upvote 4

Really love Dangerous Creatures. It's janky in places but is just so unique. Escalates interestingly too. The way the human story progresses in the background is well done and the motion controls aren't too intrusive. Need to finish  again having grabbed it for my WiiU.

28 minutes ago, earlymodernsteve said:

Really love Dangerous Creatures. It's janky in places but is just so unique. Escalates interestingly too. The way the human story progresses in the background is well done and the motion controls aren't too intrusive. Need to finish  again having grabbed it for my WiiU.

Yeah I thought the motion controls are generally pretty good. I think the biggest issue I have with them is that many of the enemies can be defeated with the jumping attack as the Spider, which generally makes all the additional unlockables pointless. The wii gets some much shit for all the shovelware on it, but there's lots of interesting oddities like this which are worth exploring.

• Upvote 1

Yes, Go Vacation’s a real gem. A wealth of polished little mini games await. I appreciate how you can play together but then also visit in single player and potter about/decorate/practice as you’d like. 

• Upvote 1

I'm just considering seeing if the kids like gaming and the Wii would seem to be the natural starting point. Lots of kiddy friendly games with kiddy friendly controls nd plenty of local multiplayer to cut down on "my turn" arguments. Wii Sports and Mario Kart are probably good places to start.

I wonder if I have enough wiimotes?

On 29 January 2018 at 10:20, strider said:

Sorry for the big bump but I played a few Wii games at the weekend and feel myself getting back into the system.

Klonoa

This is a remake of the original PlayStation game and it's good fun. It's not particularly massive (there are 6 or seven stages consisting of two acts each) but there's lots of replay value as there are a number of prisoners to rescue on each stage. I've also unlocked a time attack and mirror mode upon completing the game, which is pretty decent as well. It's a fairly simple 2.5d adventure but some of the later stages do get quite complicated and there's some lovely boss fights too. All in all it's a pretty decent game and I really enjoyed it. I'm not sure it's worth the £50 it currently goes for, though.

Deadly Creatures.

Only in videogames can you play as a spider and a tarantula whilst listening to a back story of two treasure hunters played by Billy Bob Thornton and Dennis Hopper (I shit you not). I'm now halfway through Deadly Creatures and it's a really, odd game. It's essentially a Metroidvania as you continually return to a main hub by unlocking new abilities (which range from being able to jump from web to web, to using the scorpion's pincers to cut through certain shrubbery). There are also motion-based fatalities and boss fights against things like Gila monsters. It's a truly bizarre game and I'm really hoping that the final showdown is with Dennis Hopper's foot. I'll probably have it completed tonight so will let you know.

I enjoyed Klonoa, but the American voices got on my nerves. Felt much better when I switched the audio to Japanese.

I really liked Dead Space Extraction too, one or two clunky character models aside it generated a lot of atmosphere and told an interesting story.

I know there are a lot of games I still need to pick up for the Wii (and Wii U), and several in my up played pile too. Notably Zelda Twilight Princess...

On 29/01/2018 at 10:20, strider said:

Deadly Creatures.

Only in videogames can you play as a spider and a tarantula whilst listening to a back story of two treasure hunters played by Billy Bob Thornton and Dennis Hopper (I shit you not).

WHAT?! Just looked at some videos of this and it looks great. Always thought it was some janky competetive arena fighty game.

Get!

I've been after a copy of NASCAR Kart Racing for ages, but the prices on it are ridiculous. Why? Because it's one of those licensed games where it was clear the developers were having a laugh, seeing what they could get away with. Classic example is their version of the ink blot weapon in Mariokart games, here they have an ad bouncing around the screen. And whilst nothing can ever beat the sheer polish of Mariokart, this one does appear to have some solid racing with varied track design.

On 31/01/2018 at 09:53, ScouserInExile said:

I'm just considering seeing if the kids like gaming and the Wii would seem to be the natural starting point. Lots of kiddy friendly games with kiddy friendly controls nd plenty of local multiplayer to cut down on "my turn" arguments. Wii Sports and Mario Kart are probably good places to start.

I wonder if I have enough wiimotes?

Have just been given this

3rRsKVX.jpg

Other than Mario Kart, what would work for three kids, aged 2, 4 and 6?

I liked but never loved the Wii. The Galaxy games were fantastic but waggle controls ruined DKCR and made Skyward Sword a chore to play. But alongside Xenoblade Chronicles it was home to one of the greatest JRPGs of that gen.

Fantastic soundtrack, great story and it did not outstay its welcome.  Once they've ported Xenoblade Chronicles to everything I hope they give this game a HD update because it deserves to be played by more people than it managed on Wii. 

• Upvote 2

On 03/02/2018 at 17:27, ScouserInExile said:

Have just been given this

3rRsKVX.jpg

Other than Mario Kart, what would work for three kids, aged 2, 4 and 6?

Lego Batman 2

Go Vacation

Wii Party

Wii Sports Resort

Count my love in for this console. So many great games. I still play on it all the time and am still picking up titles I missed first time round, so thanks for the heads up on games like Go Vacation and NASCAR etc. My main loves are Pro Evolution Soccer, pretty much any version really though I have 2010 and 2013, Animal Crossing and the Mario Galaxy games. Outsider titles like Trackmania, NiGHTS, No More Heroes, Geometry Wars and Ivy the Kiwi get lots of love too. I'd love a copy of Rodea the Sky Soldier but haven't taken the plunge yet.

What an amazing console still imho. I wouldn't be without it and it still gets played every day here. And what with the other modding thread its life has been extended even further. All my GC stuff on a stick! 

The Wii is the last console before the invention of DLC, lootboxes, free to play and all the other nonsense that's ruined gaming.  Games come on disk, don't require patches and updates from the internet.  The console boasted 100% backward compaitibility out of the box with the Gamecube, you can emulate loads of other systems, the controllers are wireless, the footprint is small, and so on....

Resident Evil 7 - PSVR - play the game, and upon completion you are awarded "new game plus".  A year later, a 2 hour long piece of DLC comes out (which speedrunnners do in 18 minutes) and other DLC that needs to be paid for.

Resident Evil 4 on the Wii - fully updated to use the controller in a natural way, extra costumes, items, characters, Operation Ada mission, Seperate Ways Mission, Mercenaries (possibly the best game add on ever made), all out of the box, nothing more to buy.  Will never be removed from the digital download store because it comes on a disk.

I miss those days!

• Upvote 3

I really fancied that but the second hand prices are mental. Instead I've just bought Endless Ocean. I've never played it before but I love the sound of it. To me gaming should be about much more than just overcoming obstacles. The idea of just chilling with a game really appeals to me. I've spent hundreds of hours with Animal Crossing to know this!

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Lumpy said:

I really fancied that but the second hand prices are mental. Instead I've just bought Endless Ocean. I've never played it before but I love the sound of it. To me gaming should be about much more than just overcoming obstacles. The idea of just chilling with a game really appeals to me. I've spent hundreds of hours with Animal Crossing to know this!

I paid £18. I think that's reasonable for a game and if I don't like it I'll sell it for the same price.

I got Go Vacation for a tenner in CEX. Haven't got around to playing it with the kids yet though. Wii stuff is very hit and miss though as often it can be seriously mistreated. Luckily this was in my local store so I could see what I was paying for. If you want to take the risk, that seems a good price.

• Upvote 1

Yes, I don't mind paying if it's genuinely in good nick but I hate buying games that are described as "very good" condition and look great in the shots but are absolutely shagged when you get them. It's such a gamble on eBay and I'd much rather see the item first hand before I buy it. Been burned so many times on eBay.

• Upvote 1