IGNORED

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

JohnC

Lol. 'The Stranger' - wonder who that is?

New trailer. Shows A LOT. Visually, this looks incredible.

Insane budget, but it looks Jackson or Vielleneuve level. Makes the D+ stuff look real dowdy.

It certainly looks lavish. It definitely looks like a continuation of the design choices Peter Jackson made with his films. Alas, I don't think it's for me anymore :( . Each time I see it, it all leaves me a bit cold. 

I mean, obviously if they'd have consulted me, I'd have sorted it all out and it all would be amazing. Because I know what's good for the whole world. 

But they didn't, so I'll whinge a bit about it and hope everyone who is into it, enjoys it enormously.

Looks amazing, but even more confused as to when this is set and what it will actually cover. 

Spoiler

The Balrog suggests though it will cover the Dwarf stuff from the appendices? But I thought at this time Sauron was a spirit? And wasn't Numenour meant to feature? This looks all third age.

1 minute ago, Pete said:

Looks amazing, but even more confused as to when this is set and what it will actually cover. 

Hide contents

The Balrog suggests though it will cover the Dwarf stuff from the appendices? But I thought at this time Sauron was a spirit? And wasn't Numenour meant to feature? This looks all third age.

I was wondering about this too. It's been so long since I've properly read the books that I can't remember when Durin had his tussle with the thing. 

All I really wanted was Morgoth and armies of Balrogs and dragons fucking up everything. Morgoth makes Sauron look like Granpa Smurf.

12 minutes ago, Pete said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

I guess it'll be largely Numenor, with flashbacks to Valinor which is where the Two tree stuff will be but I don't quite get some of the stuff which feels like it's Morgoth set. Multi-timeline?

Oh wait, maybe it's 

Spoiler

Literally following the title, showing the groups of men, elves, and dwarves that end up targets for Sauron for rings. As the title suggests - can't believe I didn't spot this before. 

Then that makes sense for Celembrimbor to be a character.

2 minutes ago, Festoon said:

Oh wait, maybe it's 

Hide contents

Literally following the title, showing the groups of men, elves, and dwarves that end up targets for Sauron for rings. As the title suggests - can't believe I didn't spot this before. 

yeah just reading the wiki now, I'd forgotten 

Spoiler

The rings of power were forged in the second Age, before his capture by Numenor. And Galadriel passed through Moria to found Lothlorien at that time.                           

Anything that doesn’t have Sauron being “fair” rather than Palpentine level creepy is missing a trick. Just introduce him as an advisor, in media res, to the King of Numeror and use a different name. Before the reveal at the end of the season or something.

23 minutes ago, footle said:

Anything that doesn’t have Sauron being “fair” rather than Palpentine level creepy is missing a trick. Just introduce him as an advisor, in media res, to the King of Numeror and use a different name. Before the reveal at the end of the season or something.

Nah, he appears as Annatar in the books. I think the clever sweet talking of a malignant person could be a very timely message but they'll fuck it up by making him act Eeeeeeevvvvviiiiilllll.

A better trailer. The money is self evident, which is good.

But, the thing is... I think a lot of the stuff they're showing there that looks epic seems to be relating to things that this show isn't about. It's been reported that the first couple of episodes include a prologue that pretty much covers the events of the First Age, which a lot of the epic shots we've got so far could be from. Things like the

Spoiler

Balrog tease

at the end of this trailer. That doesn't fit into the Second Age.

This show is about the

Spoiler

creation of the rings, Sauron's ascendancy, the fall of Numenor and the Last Alliance.

Which all certainly gives you some chance of 'epic moments' but the stuff we've had hinted at here? No. And then it's fairly thin cloth they're working with here, they have the rights to the appendices of LotR where it refers to the Second Age, but also are bound to the wider stories that they do not have rights to (meaning they can't contradict events they do not have the rights to). Which means to make a 5 series long show they have got to be making up a lot of shit.

But it is looking better, and as said, the money is clear to see. It looks movie level good, with a decent chunk of practical effects. I'm more hopeful now about it.

Just now, Chindie said:

But, the thing is... I think a lot of the stuff they're showing there that looks epic seems to be relating to things that this show isn't about. It's been reported that the first couple of episodes include a prologue that pretty much covers the events of the First Age, which a lot of the epic shots we've got so far could be from. Things like the

Reveal hidden contents

Balrog tease

This show is about the

Reveal hidden contents

creation of the rings, Sauron's ascendancy, the fall of Numenor and the Last Alliance.

Which all certainly gives you some chance of 'epic moments' but the stuff we've had hinted at here? No. And then it's fairly thin cloth they're working with here, they have the rights to the appendices of LotR where it refers to the Second Age, but also are bound to the wider stories that they do not have rights to (meaning they can't contradict events they do not have the rights to). Which means to make a 5 series long show they have got to be making up a lot of shit.

But it is looking better, and as said, the money is clear to see. It looks movie level good, with a decent chunk of practical effects. I'm more hopeful now about it.

I dunno. The Fall of Numenor stuff is pretty detailed.

9 hours ago, Chindie said:

Reveal hidden contents

Balrog tease

This show is about the

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

The Balrog is second age though, the dwarves wake it up by digging too far.

And as Festoon says

Spoiler

the fall of Numenor

is laid out in detail in Unfinished Tales, it's actually the one of the best stories outside the main books.

43 minutes ago, Pete said:

Hide contents

The Balrog is second age though, the dwarves wake it up by digging too far.

And as Festoon says

Hide contents

the fall of Numenor

is laid out in detail in Unfinished Tales, it's actually the one of the best stories outside the main books.

Spoiler

Durin's Bane is awoken in the Third Age. The Balrogs aren't a thing in the Second Age

And

Spoiler

Although the fall of Numenor is a cool story, there's not enough to it to support 5 series of a show that is also curtailing it's timeline.

As said, they're going to be embellishing a lot of what they have to work with.

Ah OK I stand corrected on the first one.

Still five series seems about right if it's going up to the the events from the prologue of The Fellowship? Maybe they will do time-jumps like the Crown (and the new GOT series are doing). Will be much easier with characters that don't age!

16 minutes ago, joemul said:

I don’t recall what book/tale it was but there’s definite mention of 

Hide contents

Balrogs fighting alongside Morgoth

He invented/found them.

2 hours ago, Chindie said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Durin's Bane is awoken in the Third Age. The Balrogs aren't a thing in the Second Age

And

Hide contents

Although the fall of Numenor is a cool story, there's not enough to it to support 5 series of a show that is also curtailing it's timeline.

As said, they're going to be embellishing a lot of what they have to work with.

They're going to be embellishing, sure, but they are 8 episode series. It's not that much. Particularly if they're doing the

Spoiler

Assault on Valinor stuff and the destruction Numenor stuff. Nkt to mention Isildur and pals escaping to Middle Earth.

The proto-Hobbit stuff will be 100% made up.

4 hours ago, joemul said:

I don’t recall what book/tale it was but there’s definite mention of 

Hide contents

Balrogs fighting alongside Morgoth

Yes but

Spoiler

Morgoth, who essentially created the Balrogs through his corruption (they're of the same group of beings that the wizards and Sauron are, Maiar. Basically angels), is done by the time of the Second Age. His defeat, which saw most of the Balrogs be killed, marks the end of the First Age.

Hence why there's some concern that a lot of the epic stuff we're seeing here is flashbacks or the prologue episodes that have been rumoured to open the series.

Which is a shame because the First Age has absolutely shit loads of cool stuff. The Second Age is dominated by 2 stories that definitely have the potential for cool stuff to happen and be shown, the creation of the rings and Sauron's ascendancy, and the fall of Numenor, but the First Age has loads of earth shattering battles, enormous plotlines, dozens of moments of great heroism, cruel villainy (for some reason I always remember Morgoth capturing a king who defied him, forcing him to be locked in a chair on top of a mountain and left to watch his kingdom be destroyed, and cursing his bloodline forever), epic love stories, etc etc. 

I don’t see how you get multiple series out of this if you end season one with the fall of numenor. Or even the forging of the rings. There’s going to be a load of additional stuff crafted out of fragments of cloth - as demonstrated by having Galadriel in the trailer.

But why can’t evil have a little kip while it’s waiting? No wonder it’s furious. Waiting around, bored, for thousands of years, denied sleep. Starting to have some sympathy for the evil.

Also, getting real Duel of the Fates vibes off that soundtrack.

I’ve not really been following this, is it based on actual stories written by Tolkien and, if so, where can I read them before I watch this?

Or are they likely to have Frankensteined a bunch of his notes together and taken creative liberties?

9 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

I’ve not really been following this, is it based on actual stories written by Tolkien and, if so, where can I read them before I watch this?

Or are they likely to have Frankensteined a bunch of his notes together and taken creative liberties?

All they have rights to use of Tolkein's work is the 4 original books (including the appendices), which means that there'll be a fair bit of filling in to do by whomever is writing them series. 

42 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

They have the rights to the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings, including appendices, and are making a show about the Second Age, which basically means they have to make a 5 series long show based on fleeting references within the stories themselves and the note versions of them that appear in appendices. They do not have the rights to the books where the stories they are working on are more expressly laid out. However they also are not allowed to contradict anything they do not have the rights to, therefore they have to abide to a framework set out by work they can't use, technically.

As such they're going to be making a lot of shit up. We've already got glimpses of that in the trailers so far - we've got a romance side story between an elf and human that is totally new for instance (and arguably contradicts the original thoughts of Tolkein in that human/elf romances are very rare and all of them are 'iconic' events in the lore, so making up another one is a bit... taking liberties), Galadriel goes to Numenor in the show but Tolkein never states that, etc etc.

2 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

In fairness, most of what are called "J. R. R. Tolkein" books are already frankensteined together by Christopher Tolkien from his notes.

4 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

If you want to get all the stories read the appendicies, then The Silmarillion, then Unfinished Tales. Not for everyone that, I'd only recommend it to nerds as most of the stories are only sketched out. If you like myths as a child though you should love it.

But as @Chindie says they might change it all.

Oh and the Atlas of Middle Earth is pretty great.

On 24/07/2022 at 00:51, Chindie said:

Yes but

Hide contents

Morgoth, who essentially created the Balrogs through his corruption (they're of the same group of beings that the wizards and Sauron are, Maiar. Basically angels), is done by the time of the Second Age. His defeat, which saw most of the Balrogs be killed, marks the end of the First Age.

Hence why there's some concern that a lot of the epic stuff we're seeing here is flashbacks or the prologue episodes that have been rumoured to open the series.

Which is a shame because the First Age has absolutely shit loads of cool stuff. The Second Age is dominated by 2 stories that definitely have the potential for cool stuff to happen and be shown, the creation of the rings and Sauron's ascendancy, and the fall of Numenor, but the First Age has loads of earth shattering battles, enormous plotlines, dozens of moments of great heroism, cruel villainy (for some reason I always remember Morgoth capturing a king who defied him, forcing him to be locked in a chair on top of a mountain and left to watch his kingdom be destroyed, and cursing his bloodline forever), epic love stories, etc etc. 

The show is going to have some flashback stuff going on. We've seen from the showing of the two trees in valinor (which gave me literal chills), and probably with the scene of Galadriel piling elf helmets which strongly suggests one of the battles in Bel-air....iand, which both took place prior to the second age. I'd taken it to mean what we're seeing at the end of the trailer was a flashback too.

Might not be. It's all so deliciously open.