IGNORED

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

JohnC

• 1 month later...

There’s a new teaser, but they seem to have made it exclusive to Prime. Here’s a foreign version someone uploaded, so it may not stay. 

22 hours ago, Spacehost said:

I didn’t realise Sauron was fired into Middle Earth like a fucking lawn dart.

Reminds me of this, but viewed from the perspective of the people on the ground:

Compare that to some of the earlier teasers and you can see the dollars and craft, to the point where you wonder whether they should have released the last couple of teasers.

Meteor man...

Spoiler

It must makes sense for it to be Sauron. The trailer hints at it pretty pointedly, the flames around him at the impact are very 'Eye of Sauron'.

But... Might they throw the canon in the bin completely and make that be Gandalf? Gandalf has a connection with fire, it appears the man can control fire, it's known he has a close connection with the Hobbits and this seems to suggest the first creatures that encounter the meteor man are the not-Hobbits. And he looks a lot like the guy that is dressed very 'Gandalf-y' in some other shots.

But Gandalf doesn't come to Middle Earth until well into the Third Age... So might they have gone down the route that one of the blue wizards is about at this time (and therefore basically becomes 'not-Gandalf' for the show). I think Tolkein suggested the blue wizards appear in the Second Age at one point?

Lots of money spent, that's for sure. 

However, I'm still sore after being royally shafted by the massive floppy dildo that was Wheel of Time, and I simply cannot muster any enthusiasm for this at all.

Christ, you watch one trailer for this on Youtube and suddenly you're spammed with videos like;

"Rings of Power is WOKE madness"

"Tolkien Estate sinking due to Rings of Power!"

"Rings of Power's characters look too clean!"

"Amazon already thinks Rings of Power SUCKS!"

and on and on.

Only positive is it quickly identifies entire swathes of channels that need to be hidden forever from view by the channel blocker add on!

The cottage industry of YouTubers milking and stoking the 'it's woke rubbish! Black elves?!' crowd is one of the most depressing things I've seen in recent internet culture in fairness.

Looks expensive as fuck, although the trailer did very little to say what the story is actually about. And please can everyone stop editing trailer music in the same DUN DUN DUN drums way at some point? It’s become fantastically tedious having been used for the past 10 years, time for something new.

On 16/07/2022 at 22:38, Eighthours said:

although the trailer did very little to say what the story is actually about

This is a Good Thing (tm) imo. Too many trailers these days just tell the story in such detail there's no point in seeing the feature.

I was a tad disappointed to learn Lenny Henry was going to be a hobbit. I wanted him to be Sauron in full Theo T Wildebeest mode.

29 minutes ago, Mikes said:

This is a Good Thing (tm) imo. Too many trailers these days just tell the story in such detail there's no point in seeing the feature.

I was a tad disappointed to learn Lenny Henry was going to be a hobbit. I wanted him to be Sauron in full Theo T Wildebeest mode.

While I hate spoilerific trailers, 2.5 minutes of seemingly random imagery isn't any good either. A good trailer gives an indication of the main story and the obstacles/conflict that might result, without ruining any of the major plot beats. But this one doesn't even give us an indication of who the main characters are besides Galadriel, or what the specific goal of the story is.

Contrast that with the first main Fellowship of the Ring trailer. The premise, the mission present in the story, the characters, the bad guy and the potential pitfalls are clear without spoiling everything. And there are no DUN DUN DUN drums!

19 hours ago, jonamok said:

I dearly wish someone would/could immortalise the Culture on film.

They'll just do it wrong. It has so little chance of being properly represented as Banks kept a lot of his intentions with it to himself.

12 minutes ago, Festoon said:

They'll just do it wrong. It has so little chance of being properly represented as Banks kept a lot of his intentions with it to himself.

Indeed. It’s a wish that it could be done, not a realistic expectation that it ever will. Still gutted more by his passing than that of pretty much any other creative. What other soaring works of imagination we might have had this last decade.