The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

JohnC

29 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Course they did, 

Reveal hidden contents

surely the point was it was swapped after they checked, because they were betrayed by someone they trust. 

Hmmm

never thought of that

51 minutes ago, kensei said:

Reveal hidden contents

Galadriel is a moron in this and the murder every orc speech was just awful on multiple levels. And just FYI, as much as Tolkien was always uncomfortable with making the orcs irredeemable he never really solved the problem and going to deep on it creates precisely the problem created here. You are best treating them as monsters.

In any case, a battle hardened commander knows the difference in shape, weight and feel of an axe and a sword, and also knows not to give an obviously important and evil artefact away. It's the type of stupidity that undercuts the character and no number of horseback doves or training montages can fix.

I really like what they are doing with the Uruk

21 hours ago, kensei said:

Happy to be proven wrong on it

Hide contents

Giving it to the kid was still stupid 

I see you’re from the “makes no sense!!” School of criticism. 

It might have been strategically dumb or something but symbolically it was about him trusting the humans to make their own choice and do the right thing, as the whole plot thread started with the resentment the humans have towards the Elves for supervising them for hundreds of years, watching over them suspiciously in their tower.

1 minute ago, Sarlaccfood said:

I see your from the “makes no sense!!” School of criticism. 

It might have been strategically dumb or something but symbolically it was about him trusting the humans to make their own choice and do the right thing, as the whole plot thread has been the resentment the humans have towards the Elves for supervising them for hundreds of years, watching over them suspiciously in their tower.

I think you're giving the scriptwriters far too much credit. 

48 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

I see your from the “makes no sense!!” School of criticism. 

It might have been strategically dumb or something but symbolically it was about him trusting the humans to make their own choice and do the right thing, as the whole plot thread started with the resentment the humans have towards the Elves for supervising them for hundreds of years, watching over them suspiciously in their tower.

No. That level of stupid undercuts the characters in involved. They spent huge amount of time establishing that the object is associated with Sauron, of huge importance to the enemy, intrinsically evil and hard to destroy. Having invested that amount of time you have to treat it with a certain amount of respect.

Just think about Galadriel in context of the show. Established that Galadriel has been chasing Sauron forever. She's obsessed to the point of risking friendships. She got off the boat to paradise to chase Sauron. She convinced Numenor to send an army. Yet she's not the remotest bit interested in a clue that could lead her to him, or give a clue about his power. It's not just it doesn't make sense, it contradicts work done to date.

If you want the "We trust these humans now" payoff, you can get there but you need more work.  

4 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Course they did, 

Hide contents

surely the point was it was swapped after they checked, because they were betrayed by someone they trust. 

Yeah I don’t think that happened at all. I think it was as simple as it appeared

Spoiler

Adar gave it to the human guy just as the Numenorians were bearing down on them and off he went to where he used it.

Galadriel was never actually told what it was, just that she needed to get it off the guy. Once she had captured him she was far to focused on him to care what he had.

In retrospect, I think it was a mistake not making Sauron jump up and announce himself just as 

Spoiler

Mount Doom appeared.

He could have started singing a lovely tune mouthing all the lines from the 'One ring to rule them all' poem.

Balrogs to be the backing singers.

14 hours ago, Girth Certificate said:

Dude literally said ‘c’mere old bloke I’ve got a job for you’. Then later you saw said old bloke doing the job.

Was this after the kerfuffle in the bar?

16 hours ago, metallicfrodo said:

Yeah I don’t think that happened at all. I think it was as simple as it appeared

Hide contents

Adar gave it to the human guy just as the Numenorians were bearing down on them and off he went to where he used it.

Galadriel was never actually told what it was, just that she needed to get it off the guy. Once she had captured him she was far to focused on him to care what he had.

This is exactly what happened.

Spoiler

Adar even says to the old human dude "I HAVE A TASK FOR YOU!" at that point he switches the blade out with a fake, buys the old man some time to scale the fucking mountain to get to the key place, and belittle all the "good guys" while he's at it.

I started watching this with an open mind but the plot/script/characters have killed it. Very pretty, nice graphics, nonsensical story and lots of stupidity - no amount of CGI can save it for me. 😢

Yeah, that's pretty much where I'm at. I kept hoping things would improve (and there are bits I enjoy — basically any scene with Elrond in, and generally the halfoot sequence), but the dialogue, characterisation and general plotting around Galadriel/Halbrand/Numenor/The Southland humans just gradually killed my interest, culminating in that last episode of sound and fury, signalling nothing. We'll watch to the end of the season as Jo wants to get to the end of it, but I'm bitterly disappointed.

11 hours ago, Padster said:

Surely even one of the Noldor can't survive

Hide contents

a pyroclastic flow?

Spoiler

Not-Gandalf turns up in the next episode and holds back the lava? Next episode opens up with Not-Gandalf and Nori, following the star map, which leads them to....

Bear McCreary is really nailing this. He's always been top-notch though.

Quick mention for his title theme for DaVinci's Demons which he wrote to also work played so the theme sounds the same in reverse (second vid), inspired by DaVinci doing it with writing.

Ep7. Enjoyed it, but have several rather more issues.

Spoiler

In no particular order:

Halbrand is dying and need urgent medical attention. But anyway, get on this horse and right hard.

Elendil, let this horse go. *cut to horse at full fucking gallop with zero in-between.

So Galadriel talked the Queen of a major kingdom to come the aid of the Southlands, to which they send a decent enough chunk of their military they needed to get more troops, and no one thought to raise the point they only encountered one village?

And that reveal of the word Mordor? They thought they'd splash out and get the full version of PowerPoint so they could use a font fade?

That out of the way - good stuff. 

During and elrond and the Harfoots continue to be a joy to watch. I love every moment they're on screen. And it turns out I have a serious thing for dwarf women.

Also, I reckon I see where this Mithril thing is going....

Spoiler

...with the access to Mithril gone the way is open for an elf looking fellow whose good with a hammer to say "Watcha, Cel. Looks like we're all gonners, eh? But what if I could make some rings that would sort that out toot sweet, eh? Lovely jubbly". (Annatar is Delboy in my head, shut up).

Good episode, apart from the very end, but only because it has to spell it out for the thick-as-fuck crowd (read: Americans). 

Spoiler

No one with even a single brain cell needed to have Mordor spelled out for them. You'd have to be a proper fucking idiot to not realise that.

Everything else was great, I thought, and tugged on the heartstrings. Big dude is definitely Gandalf for me now.

That horse is gonna bring back Isildur, obviously. 

Yes I think Thor is right, in the edit they must have felt they had to literally spell it out. I did a lol.

Spoiler

I'm more annoyed about all those people being fine after a pyroclastic flow. That's a cloud of ash, dust and rocks, the density of earth with a temperature in the hundreds of degrees. Instant death, and before you say "it's a fantasy" I don't care, Tolkien would never have had that.

Overall I think this show is fine, at times it's quite good but so many small things are annoying me. Did the whole Numenor army die and become one boat? Did they just ride into one tiny village and call it a day? The geography seems wrong, the camp location makes no sense to me as there aren't snowy mountains or Fjords near the coast that close to Mordor (having said that I'm pretty sure one of the location shots outside Moria was exactly the same as one in LOTR). Elrond is still great though I feel him and Durin should have had to come through some struggle together for their closeness to seem more believable. Halbrand is shit, you can't just call yourself king because you have a necklace and a pretty face, he's not earned that at all. He turns up and the whole village is destroyed, why are they so happy?

Harfoot stuff was good, though I am constantly distracted by the props and the shit in their hair. Hobbits are supposed to like bathing and being clean.

I'm sure I wouldn't notice these things if the show had some of the weight, dread and tension of the films, maybe an unfair comparison though.