IGNORED

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

JohnC

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

A list of rumours from TheOneRing.net. Including what species of creature Lenny Henry might be playing!

https://www.theonering.net/torwp/2021/07/20/110907-spy-report-incredible-details-from-amazons-lord-of-the-rings-characters-sexless-nudity-halflings/

First off, we are hearing that the Tolkien Estate is very happy with how things are progressing. Seems they really are more involved in this Production than with any previous LOTR adaptation ever [including the Bakshi version in 1978 and the six Middle-earth films from Peter Jackson; per the terms of the newest deal] and are thus enjoying the creative process. The overall plan for the show has instilled confidence in the Production and more story rights have been assigned to the show.

• *CONFIRMED* for the 1st time EVER: elements & passages from “The Silmarillion” and “Unfinished Tales” are licensed by Amazon Studios for this adaptation [we broadly speculate those are sections of the book relative to Númenor and Rings of Power including full rights to stories licensed in the Appendices of “The Lord of the Rings,” which already mention Númenor and much more. Actors had posted instagram pics from Silm over the last 18 months.]

So this is where the budget's going:

There is a fake production team shooting decoy footage on fake sets unrelated to the real Production – [thus making some “reports of location sightings” false leads by tricksy hobbitses and we must admit this is very clever indeed! Peter Jackson never used decoys!]

Legal restrictions sometimes lead to minimal name changes:

Certain creatures are referred to as Ice Trolls because they can’t be called Cave Trolls (Warner Bros. licensing restriction)

And then there's this description of the "sexless nudity" mentioned in that URL: :unsure:

Spoiler

Nudity is sparse and not sexualized— contrary to earlier concerns: but rather this artistic choice represents very dark thematic material suggestive of concentration camp-type visuals of victims, a harrowing portrayal of the corruption of the Elves by dark powers to ultimately become Orcs
Editors note: if this plays out fully it will may well be one of the most ambitious things undertaken by this production and perhaps by anyone attempting to adapt Tolkien

• 2 weeks later...

The Trees of the Valinor. Which is interesting because they're gone at the time this series is meant to be set. Either the shot is a flashback/scene setting history stuff, or the series is going into deeper elements of Tolkien's work than expected.

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

The Trees of the Valinor. Which is interesting because they're gone at the time this series is meant to be set. Either the shot is a flashback/scene setting history stuff, or the series is going into deeper elements of Tolkien's work than expected.

Must be a flashback since they're well gone by Numenor. Maybe it's a painting or mural within a building in the show.

• 5 months later...

It's got a title now. The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power.

Launches 2 September.

The Rings of Power unites all the major stories of Middle-earth’s Second Age: the forging of the rings, the rise of the Dark Lord Sauron, the epic tale of Númenor, and the Last Alliance of Elves and Men

On 13/11/2017 at 22:12, JoeK said:

Ideally, I'd love to see something done with the Silmarillion,

On 14/11/2017 at 08:30, Darren said:

I've said this in every LOTR thread we've ever had, and I'm not about to stop now.

And it looks like our wish might be coming true.

Tentatively excited about this. Don’t cock it up, rocket man.

Just now, Darren said:

And it looks like our wish might be coming true.

Tentatively excited about this. Don’t cock it up, rocket man.

Judging by what they’ve done with WoT, I’m not entirely convinced. However, at least with the Silmarillion there’s an opportunity for wiggle room considering the book is effectively a history rather than a full on tale.

3 minutes ago, JoeK said:

Judging by what they’ve done with WoT, I’m not entirely convinced. However, at least with the Silmarillion there’s an opportunity for wiggle room considering the book is effectively a history rather than a full on tale.

It's not the same people making this and WoT.

3 minutes ago, JoeK said:

Wot’s WoT?

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

It's not the same people making this and WoT.

Honestly, that doesn’t make me feel any better about it.

1 minute ago, Darren said:

Wot’s WoT?

Wheel of Time

Just now, Doctor Shark said:

Wheel of Time, the supposedly unfilmable book series Amazon recently filmed. 

Ah right, I don’t have Amazon so I don’t pay much attention to what’s on there.

Going by the font it looks awful, but the decision to set it when they are is a good one. Some of the stories in Unfinished tales are set then and are really good, I expect Sauron's

Spoiler

imprisonment and escape from Numenor

will be a big part of it.

50 minutes ago, Pete said:

Going by the font it looks awful, but the decision to set it when they are is a good one. Some of the stories in Unfinished tales are set then and are really good, I expect Sauron's

Reveal hidden contents

imprisonment and escape from Numenor

will be a big part of it.

I think the way

Spoiler

Sauron converts his captors to his beliefs in Numenor by dripping poisonous words

is timely.

Edit: Y'know, I was watching a video recently where the narrator was talking about the novel Tolkien began writing set in Aragorn's son's reign. I had never heard of this and I thought it was fascinating that Tolkien wanted to show that evil never really dies, that men forget, and that constant vigilance is required, but that he abandoned the idea as he found that it was depressing. Fascinating stuff. I had no idea.

10 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

I’ve not read wheel of time nor watched the show so can’t say how good it is or isn’t, but most people seem

a bit ambivalent about it. 

Not read the books, started watching the show. At the first few episodes it made be despair for the LOTR series. WoT was very basic in it's production, to the point where I suspect many of the clothes were just bought from a store and turned inside out. But in the more recent episodes I was starting to enjoy it.

But as mentioned, entirely different people working on both titles, and from what I understand the budget for LOTR vastly outstrips WoT, and while money can't buy everything it can buy a damn lot for a TV series.

I'm tentatively excited about the LOTR. Regardless of how good it is I will watch it and probably love it. I watch the Hobbit trilogy and love them, I'm veyr forgiving like that. I just want the series to inject some more players into the Games Workshop game to be honest though.