IGNORED

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

JohnC

On 27/07/2022 at 00:16, Mr.Crowley said:

Thank god the are trying to spice up the frankly dry and snooze-worthy original material.🤗 If only to piss off the Tolkien-purists.

What a lot of the people complaining about the the story as is (and not the racists arguing in bad faith) don't seem grasp is the medium of the story tellingand the intended audience.  The target for the show and the advertising are not people like us who are discussing it now, but the millions of people who don't don't read door-stop sized books who might be convinced ot pop for an Amazon account to watch it.

And even before that, telling a story in an episodic TV format means the source needs adpating. Troy is an excellent example of what happens when you take an existing story intended for a particular format and just translate it as accurately as possible to the big screen.  Yawn fest. 

Also most of the people bitching about unknowns in the accuracy of the Rings fo power are pretty much all silent on the inaccuracies in Peter Jackson's initial trilogy. 

I am a huge Lord of the Rings fan, having read the books at least half a dozen times, but I just cannot muster any excitement for this. It just feels like essentially fan fiction to me - I don’t particularly have any interest in what Amazon’s show runners think might have happened to Galadriel in the second age. There just isn’t enough to go on. I don’t think it’s a coincidence the fellowship is the strongest film and by far the most faithful to the books. 

12 hours ago, Mikes said:

Troy is an excellent example of what happens when you take an existing story intended for a particular format and just translate it as accurately as possible to the big screen.

I really wish it was; Troy is what happens when you take an existing story intended for a particular format and culture, decide to make it "realistic" by removing the supernatural elements, change up all of the characters' personalities and motives, and make everything painfully heterosexual, all in an attempt to make it palatable to a modern American audience.

It's less true to the Iliad than Clash of the Titans* is true to the Perseus myth.

*the Ray Harryhausen one, I mean. I've not seen nor intend to see the 2010 version

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/08/2022 at 18:51, Festoon said:

Might be shite, but visually it's pretty staggering.

It's certainly lavish and you can see where the money has gone, but - for me at least - I'd have much preferred a different look altogether. As much as I think John Howe has had a huge impact on defining a certain look for LotR these days, I'm honestly really bored with it. It's been done. It's been done to death. 

I'd have loved to have seen something different really. But I guess that would have been a colossal risk for Amazon.

I love the Lee/Howe look, and have all the books to prove it, but I’d be up for something new too. I’d also like less CGI spectacle, fewer MASSIVE armies and low-impact battles, and more deep character interaction. Not exactly asking for ‘Better Call Sauron’, but something a bit dramatically weightier, with stakes for people I care about. More Fellowship, less Hobbit. But at the end of the day, I’ll happily take whatever we get in this world.