Sign in to follow this  
dave7g

Retro Game Podcast Recommendations

Just looking for something similar to Retronauts, covering 80's and 90's gaming. I've tried a lot but nothing is really that good apart from Retronauts, so any suggestions would be great. Thanks

Well obviously I have to recommend Retro Asylum. It looks at retro gaming from a UK perspective and has been running since 2011 so there’s a big back catalogue.

• Upvote 2

I'll give your podcast a shot for sure Lorfarius, kind of gone off RA recently, not a big fan of Steve? (scouse guy) Mads is great though, he should do his own shows.

• Upvote 1

Amigarama was good, well done. I'll listen to more for sure. The best RA episodes for me were the picking a few random 8 bit games and getting everyone's take on them. Movie games etc. The Emulation episode was the end for me.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, dave7g said:

Amigarama was good, well done. I'll listen to more for sure. The best RA episodes for me were the picking a few random 8 bit games and getting everyone's take on them. Movie games etc. The Emulation episode was the end for me.

Glad you liked it :) There's going to be a new one every Sunday!

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Swainy said:

That’s a shame. Sadly I haven’t been able to record many episodes myself recently due to a change in jobs.

I hope things go well and you are back soon dean - you do lift the show to a higher standard.

The mash up with David Turner from TCGS was pretty bad. 

• Empathy 1

I should be back soon, I’m actually working Monday’s to Friday’s now which you would think would make things easier but I don’t finish until fairly late and the guys are usually busy of a weekend. Worst comes to the worst then I might have to do my episodes solo but I’m not sure if that would really work too well, an hour of a Cockney voice banging on about the Atari 2600 & Spectrum glory days would probably drive everyone mad :)

I don't think it would at all. I'm coming around to solo podcasts, much like Lorfarius Amiga show. It completely gets rid of lame, forced 'banter' between hosts. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/5/2017 at 06:29, Swainy said:

Well obviously I have to recommend Retro Asylum. It looks at retro gaming from a UK perspective and has been running since 2011 so there’s a big back catalogue.

Did this yesterday, downloaded the emulation episode, then got depressed hearing that one Eurogamer bloke tell me for 10mins how all my consoles are going to stop working. Sob. :(

Still good though, very organized.

• Upvote 1

Back in my Play is what Roetronauts used to be like back in the 1up days. Sadly there doesn’t seem to have been any updates since July but there’s plenty of back catalogue that’s worth exploring.

• Upvote 1

Bump. Very nearly started a new thread about podcasts, but found this thread first.

As well as the already mentioned Amigarama, Retrnauts and Retro Asylum, I can recommend:

Amigos As the name implies, this is an Amiga centric podcast. It's essentially a bit of news, then a game review. They also do a non-amiga "insert disk 2" episode every so often. I really like the two guys who do it, they really seem to enjoy doing it and playing the games.

The Retro Hour Weekly one hour (duh!) podcast where they do a news section, then some really interesting interviews. Not just gaming this one. The guys who present this sound like they should be on commercial radio, they sound properly professional. They know what they're about as well. I always look forward to this one.

Retro Game Discussion Show One of those "single subject" podcasts where they pick a topic nd talk about it for an hour or two. Can be a bit hit and miss, I find.

Cane And Rinse Not strictly retro, but they take an in depth look at various games and game series that are often in the retro bracket. Can be a little dry, I find.

Any others people can recommend?

• Upvote 1

On 05/11/2017 at 23:22, dave7g said:

, not a big fan of Steve? (scouse guy) 

My brother used to work with him at Sony. I don't mind him, except for the fact he has repeatedly referred to "QA" as "Q and A", which is a completely different thing.

On 01/12/2018 at 20:18, suzzopher said:

Have you listened to Maximum Power Up?

Giving the Run and Gun episode a listen. One of the hosts (?) mentions testing Rapid Reload for Sony, which means I must have worked with him in the 90s. No idea who he is, though...

On 01/12/2018 at 12:15, ScouserInExile said:

The Retro Hour Weekly one hour (duh!) podcast where they do a news section, then some really interesting interviews. Not just gaming this one. The guys who present this sound like they should be on commercial radio, they sound properly professional. They know what they're about as well. I always look forward to this one.

I got first subjected to this while trapped in a car on a long journey very recently, some of the guests they've had on this are top tier!

Well worth a listen if you want to hear war stories from the past from some notable people who were there at the time :D

It's surprisingly not that well known, and it's a Brit-centric one as a bonus.

Have to agree the two hosts do make it sound like a proper professional commercial radio programme, and have good chemistry.