rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
marsh

Spintires Mudrunner

Picked this up during the week, and as a bit of a fan of off roading, I think it's bloody wonderful. Did some of the challenges last night and they are hard if you try for three stars, I've not really roamed alot but I can confirm that it's a very decent effort in terms of mud and rock dynamics. The trees that appear from nowhere sometimes are a bit of a pain....

Managed to bag a route to grannies in a trabant last night.

• Upvote 4

I only paid £25 from Argos as I had a fiver off, and I also went halves with my boy who is farming sim mad. We'll get plenty of use from it, I hope it sells well on the consoles (PS4) as I can see the likes of Merc, Daf, Iveco and anyone else building lorries and stuff getting excited about pimping their wares. I suspect the PC version already has such mods?

I stuck this on my Amazon wish list when it was first released for PS4 and it ended up being a Christmas present. What I expected was a glorified tech demo where I’d play with the mud physics for a couple of hours then get bored. What I got was something pretty special. The mud (and water) physics are truly amazing but what really hooked me was the environments, they feel brilliantly real and natural and do a great job of immersing you in the game. You really do feel like your fighting against nature at times.

The actual game part of this is pretty thin, essentially you are delivering logs across one of several open worlds with choice of vehicle and route left up to you. The game does a good job of forcing you take different routes by tasking you with unlocking vehicles by getting to them on the map, the need to fuel and repair your trucks and discover watchpoints where more of the map will be revealed.

I’m still to get bored but I feel repetition will set in at some point. The environments can feel quite samey with the same textures, buildings and tree models throughout. The devs do a good job with the maps though to alleviate this by adding mountains, swamps, towns and rivers. There’s a day/night cycle but I still would like some rain or snow at times. There’s a real sense of isolation too when you’re miles from anywhere stuck trying to find a route through the wilderness, I quite enjoyed that though, quite a unique sensation for a game to give, almost Dark Souls like!

Highly recommended but certainly not for everyone! Hopefully some of the PC mods will make it over to the PS4 in some form. I’m yet to try multiplayer but it looks great.

• Upvote 4

The Valley, a free DLC for Spintires: MudRunner is out now! It's now available on PC, PS4 and Xbox One in all regions. Please remember that on PS4 and Xbox One, you will need to download separately from the game, by adding it to your account in the respective stores.

Included in this update is:

A new map: The Valley

Three vehicles: The E-7429, the C-6317 and the A-969

Ten new vehicle addons

C-6317 Spare wheel

A-969 Spare wheel

A-969 Fuel canisters

A-969 Garage parts

A-969 Utility attachment

E-7429 Advanced trailer hitch

E-7429 Repair kit

E-7429 (compatible with E-7310 from base game) Garage semi-trailer

Medium log trailer (compatible with some of base game trucks)

Medium log trailer's logs load

Various bugs and fixes

Change Log:
All Platforms

Letters are now properly automatically uppercased

Linebreaks were fixed

Minor improvements to autowinch point selection.

Minor improvements to the legacy camera mode

Minor improvements to sounds

Minor water shading and other texture improvements

Minor truck setup improvements

Lobby members will now select the trucks they want to use when entering a map

Steering Wheels Differential Lock in hardcore mode will now behave the same way as in casual mode.

Some vehicles are now able to toggle differential lock on and off

Soil has been made softer

PC Only

The game will now detect available video memory and will downgrade textures if they don't fit.

Lobby hosts will now select up to eight mods for the game.

Enjoy, and we'll see you soon!

• Upvote 2

I've started playing this now it has come to XBOX Game Pass. Not my usual type of game but great fun so far hauling giant trucks through the mud.

I'm hoping somebody might be able to help with a problem I have going quickly. I can't seem to get any speed up when driving on the roads and have no idea what I am doing wrong. For example, on the first challenge, if I go out on the road, in automatic gear, pressing right trigger down to accelerate, I never get out of 3rd gear. In fact, as soon as it goes into 3rd gear, it immediatley drops down to 1st. Does anybody know what I am doing wrong as I can't work it out for the life of me.

I thought my 3 year old would have fun driving the trucks through the mud but 5 minutes in to the tutorial he managed to get the pick up mired so deep that we couldn't get it out and he announced "bored now Daddy."

I'll go back to it at some point.

• Empathy 1

3 hours ago, reef said:

I've started playing this now it has come to XBOX Game Pass. Not my usual type of game but great fun so far hauling giant trucks through the mud.

I'm hoping somebody might be able to help with a problem I have going quickly. I can't seem to get any speed up when driving on the roads and have no idea what I am doing wrong. For example, on the first challenge, if I go out on the road, in automatic gear, pressing right trigger down to accelerate, I never get out of 3rd gear. In fact, as soon as it goes into 3rd gear, it immediatley drops down to 1st. Does anybody know what I am doing wrong as I can't work it out for the life of me.

Which vehicle are you in?

Edit: Oh, hang on aren't you in a set vehicle in the challenges? I'll have a look.

• Upvote 1

Hmm..no, I can't see what the issue is. I took that truck out, got it onto the road and floored it, and it went all the way up to 9th gear, no problem.

You're definitely in Automatic? So it says "Gear 1/9" in the bottom right of the screen?

You can't have the parking brake on by accident, as I tried that and it just ground to a halt.

Are you in easy or hardcore mode?

• Upvote 1

Been a while since I played this but I think it might be an issue with having diff lock engaged in hardcore mode.

@matt0Have to say, getting your 3 year old to play Spintires is likely to put them off gaming for life. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks for all the replies. Haha, I’ve worked it out. I use the elite controller and have it so the triggers don’t need to be pushed down all the way. When I switch it so the triggers travel all the way down when I push them, the vehicle goes up through the gears normally. Switch the trigger setting back and it trundles up to 3rd and back down to 1st immediately. Mystery solved. I thought it was taking a very long time to travel around the map :lol:

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Mike1812 said:

I'm interested in this. Should I get the expansion for £5 extra?

The expansion is two new maps, a couple of challenges, and various American trucks, including some that (heresy!) can't go off-road!

The new maps feel very different, as they're more built up and have extensive road systems, so you don't have that feeling of being in the middle of nowhere that you get in the base maps. Also, due to the roads, I did a lot more distance, at speed, than I did in the usual maps.

Overall, I think it's worth it for a fiver, but there's plenty in the main game to be getting on with.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Mike1812 said:

I'm interested in this. Should I get the expansion for £5 extra?

If you're on an Xbox spend a quid on Gamepass and try it first. It's not a bad game but it's really different to every other driving title. I didn't really get in to it because it's ... weird.