4K Blu Ray - anyone collecting?

strider

Separately, does anyone know where you can preorder the 4K release of The Thing that's due in September? It's up on Amazon's US site, but not UK, from what I can see. Zavvi and HMV don't appear to have it.

4 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Cheers, @Marlew. Theatrical it is.

you chose well for a first viewing - this is cut from a post I made in another thread

One of the best zombie films ever made it is as simple as that. I recently got the UHD set which is ridiculously expensive but has a wonderful package of extras. I am a bit of a Romero nerd/fan so buying it was a no brainer whereas for the more casual zombie fan I would suggest just buying the normal bluray of the theatrical cut. Saying that it was a delight to see the Argento cut in something other than potato-vision. I have only seen it as a poor quality print transfer to DVD previously with colour timing completely out etc so it was hard to judge it fairly.

As for the three cuts - well the latter is of course NOT a director's cut as we understand them now, it was the first cut put together by Romero before the whole thing was tightened up (shown at Cannes). Romero's vision (Theatrical) is the best version I believe although I know some do prefer Argento's more visceral take on the material (he got to cut it for Europe as part of deal with helping to finance the film). My issues with the other cuts is that the pacing is wrong in both versions and only the theatrical gets it spot on. Argento uses almost every action shot he can and ditches some of the slower paced scenes (shortening the truck section for example) - this is a mistake as those slower paced sections give the film its depth and give it time to breathe. The original cut for Cannes is rough round the edges and too flabby.

6 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Separately, does anyone know where you can preorder the 4K release of The Thing that's due in September? It's up on Amazon's US site, but not UK, from what I can see. Zavvi and HMV don't appear to have it.

I'm not sure if it has been announced for a UK release yet (but please tell me if I'm wrong). I was mistaken when I said Arrow were bringing it out, Universal are doing their own release in the US. Amazon US have served me well over the last year so no concerns about ordering from them. 

Edit: TES on eBay are also offering it for pre-order at £19.99. I've bought from them in the past and they've been very good. Might go for this. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Thing-4K-Ultra-HD-Blu-ray-Kurt-Russell-Keith-David-Wilford-Brimley-/154550524375?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

There will also be a limited edition of The Thing, which matches the Studio Canal released John Carpenter limited edition sets. 

Yeah, I know it's weird a studio doing a set to match something released by another studio, but hey...

FB-IMG-1627653543185.jpg

This is NOT up for pre-order as of yet.  *EDIT* Now available!

I not touching it, personally. I just want the cheapest copy of the UHD I can find, as it's going into my Arrow LE set, ala Waterworld. 

25 minutes ago, Marlew said:

I'm not sure if it has been announced for a UK release yet (but please tell me if I'm wrong). I was mistaken when I said Arrow were bringing it out, Universal are doing their own release in the US. Amazon US have served me well over the last year so no concerns about ordering from them. 

Edit: TES on eBay are also offering it for pre-order at £19.99. I've bought from them in the past and they've been very good. Might go for this. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Thing-4K-Ultra-HD-Blu-ray-Kurt-Russell-Keith-David-Wilford-Brimley-/154550524375?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Thanks for this. I take it they take the cash upon order, not dispatch, seeing as it's done through eBay?

On 19/07/2021 at 19:54, sandman said:

Dunkirk.

Absolutely astonishing, a perfect disc to show off your setup. 

Black Hawk Down

A good disc, but nothing special. Perhaps I shouldn’t have watched it the day after Dunkirk. It’s certainly an assault on the senses but it’s very very saturated. 

I saw Black Hawk Down at the cinema in 2001 and it looked like that then.

16 hours ago, Steve McQueef said:

There will also be a limited edition of The Thing, which matches the Studio Canal released John Carpenter limited edition sets. 

Yeah, I know it's weird a studio doing a set to match something released by another studio, but hey...

FB-IMG-1627653543185.jpg

This is NOT up for pre-order as of yet. 

I not touching it, personally. I just want the cheapest copy of the UHD I can find, as it's going into my Arrow LE set, ala Waterworld. 

Bloody hell but that cover is horrendous!

there must be a reason why when a film has an iconic poster/cover image that has been known and loved for decades they decide to spend money on designing a shit replacement..

Is it image rights for the original that costs them to reuse?

20 hours ago, Steve McQueef said:

There will also be a limited edition of The Thing

*EDIT* Now available!

No longer on Zavvi - anywhere else stocking this??

EDIT: The Entertainment Store on eBay has it or at least so they say

Recent acquisitions:

D7zxBiHl.jpg

BTW, I recommend Rarewaves.com for Arrow titles. The Bird With The Crystal Plumage cost just under £25 shipped, as they tend to price Arrow titles lower than elsewhere, once they've actually been released and are always running promo codes.

You just have to be creative with your email addresses.

Waiting on the standard editions of Demons 1 + 2 from them, both under £16 shipped. 

7 minutes ago, Steve McQueef said:

Recent acquisitions:

D7zxBiHl.jpg

BTW, I recommend Rarewaves.com for Arrow titles. The Bird With The Crystal Plumage cost just under £25 shipped, as they tend to price Arrow titles lower than elsewhere, once they've actually been released and are always running promo codes.

You just have to be creative with your email addresses.

Waiting on the standard editions of Demons 1 + 2 from them, both under £16 shipped. 

Have you seen The Bird With the Crystal Plumage before? I haven't, but Mark Kermode was bigging it up on his and Simon Mayo's film podcast a couple of weeks ago and it piqued my interest.

No, I haven't. 

I've been watching a lot of Italian movies of late, mostly crime thrillers, but some have crossed into horror/mystery territory. 

Decided to give this ago, as I've heard it's was an underrated thriller and fuck all like Argento's later movies. 

On 02/08/2021 at 11:32, Marlew said:

I picked up Dark Crystal, supposed to be a spectacular release from what I've read. Looking forward to getting stuck in. I never actually saw it as a kid but I really enjoyed Labyrinth (which is also very good on 4K BD). 

Turns out this is brilliant. Not so much spectacular stuff going on with HDR because it's mostly quite drab, lots of browns and earthy tones, but the level of fine detail is amazing. You can see all the textures and materials on every creature, all the clothing, the foliage, it's a proper feast. 

Loved the film, too! 

Having watched the first two Avengers films in 4K over the last few days I thought Age of Ultron was a far better disc than Assemble. Far better detail and definition all the way through. 

I watched Batman (1989) last night and I would really recommend it. So much of the film is in shadow, very noirish, and the HDR plus OLED gives so much depth and murky detail. It looks superb. Then you have those bursts of colour with Jack and it suddenly becomes larger than life, incredibly bold and theatrical. It's not always pin sharp but the interior shots are frequently very detailed, lots of texture on Vicki's clothing and Jack's make-up. The Atmos track is also very good, lots going on, very punchy but detailed and subtle. Gunshots and gadgets sound fantastic but the score is probably the highlight. A proper high quality example of the format. 

The Shining 

Holy guacamole Batman! This is a true revelation in 4K. The amount of detail is insane, it’s almost like watching it for the first time. You notice so many little things that the standard blu ray couldn’t pick up.

Utterly perfect and a benchmark disc. 

20 hours ago, krenzler said:

Can't wait for A Clockwork Orange.

Criterion are finally going 4K and are starting with Citizen Kane.

https://www.criterion.com/current/posts/7494-citizen-kane-to-lead-criterion-s-first-4k-slate

The most dazzling debut in cinema history, Orson Welles’s Citizen Kane was Criterion’s first laserdisc release 37 years ago.

30. 7. Years?