4K Blu Ray - anyone collecting?

14 hours ago, Monkeyboy said:

I’m always in two minds about buying the Akira 4k. It apparently has a lot of DNR. But then, how important is grain on an animation compared to live action? Less important I would say.

You'd think that, but Akira has a lot intentionally soft shots. 

The grain has a dithering effect, telling you brain nothing's amiss. 

Without it, it's like watching something, while wearing someone else's glasses. 

Horrible. 

Akira's one of the most disappointing UHD releases for a film of it's status, right next to Terminator 2.

• 2 weeks later...

2 questions. 

Is there a current 4K player go-to for sub £200 that does Dolby vision? 

Still the Sony ubp‑x700?

Also, is there a big benefit to having a multi region player and importing? Not done that since early DVD days and wasn’t sure if selections were far greater and if they can be had for cheaps at all?

12 hours ago, Yiggy said:

2 questions. 

Is there a current 4K player go-to for sub £200 that does Dolby vision? 

Still the Sony ubp‑x700?

Also, is there a big benefit to having a multi region player and importing? Not done that since early DVD days and wasn’t sure if selections were far greater and if they can be had for cheaps at all?

UHD is region free, so it would just be for the benefit of standard blu ray and dvd. Extras discs are usually blu ray and locked though

I went nuts and got the Panasonic DP-UB820 in the end. In for a penny in for pound etc. 

Any tips for buying 4K disks in the UK or from the US? Outside of HMV / Amazon / Zavvi etc? 

Also. I know Criterion are still going and putting out good high quality BR’s but are there other companies still doing this and is it still the case that only big blockbusters and old classics get the 4K treatment?

22 hours ago, Yiggy said:

I went nuts and got the Panasonic DP-UB820 in the end. In for a penny in for pound etc. 

Any tips for buying 4K disks in the UK or from the US? Outside of HMV / Amazon / Zavvi etc? 

Also. I know Criterion are still going and putting out good high quality BR’s but are there other companies still doing this and is it still the case that only big blockbusters and old classics get the 4K treatment?

Yep, I love my Panasonic. You should be warned it does a great job of improving a blu-ray picture too.

When I compare now, it's not such a magical leap as it was on my old player. 

I set my HDR TV Type (only thing you should need to change, and if LED experiment with) and it made the blu-rays really dark, info said it was outputting as UHD, but TV still running standard picture settings. Had to change my picture settings for that device. But then, wow! 

Best thing to do is keep an eye out for any 2 for £30, or sometimes 3 for £30 deals on HMV / Amazon / Zavvi. Built up a wishlist, if you'd pay £10, £15 or full price, and wait for the sale. 

Keep an eye on avforums. There are a couple of price drop threads. Recently people have been buying from Amazon Italy for deals, and it's the first place I hear about 3 for £30s or a newer release going into a 2 for £30

https://www.avforums.com/forums/4k-ultra-hd-blu-rays.272/

I use blu-ray.com to check for any individual deals on Amazon. Make sure you're set for UK on that site. Amazon often price match.

https://www.blu-ray.com/deals/?sortby=popularity&category=4kbluray

You've missed the boat of Zoom being really good for sales. They just got bought out and it's crap now. They're trying, but this 3 for 2 deal is shit. It's all the crap too https://www.zoom.co.uk/category/3_for_2_offer   ...maybe they'll get better again when they get stock again. 

You're not getting so much bang for buck for importing these days. It's only worth doing for stuff you can't get here. 

I'm not seeing many collections really buying into 4k. Arrow in US and Studio Canal in UK between each other have been putting out good stuff. Studios themselves are putting out good older films though. Slowly. One at a time. You can get the first movie of a few franchises now :/ 

43 minutes ago, AK Bell said:

I set my HDR TV Type (only thing you should need to change, and if LED experiment with) and it made the blu-rays really dark, info said it was outputting as UHD, but TV still running standard picture settings. Had to change my picture settings for that device. But then, wow! 

Thanks for the above. I have a LG C9 55 OLED so hopefully it gives a top notch pic. I’m sure it will. 

Good news about the blu-ray upscaling quality. I had read that it was good and I’m interested to see if there are certain films that I’ll be happy to buy the Blu-ray for even if there’s a 4K available because the cost of 4Ks is pretty high. 

Just watching Last Crusade on it now. I'll probably still be daft enough to get the 4k anyway, but it looks great.

Only thing it's a bit off on on with 2k blu rays (imo) is skin. A bit orange and shiny. 

2 minutes ago, Triple A said:

Maybe do a spot of calibration

Yeah, been faffing a bit already since it's an awkward case. Cant just google it like the other picture settings. 

Best thing about UHD is that it's pretty much done for you. 

FYI: I just bought the new 4K UHD for Donnie Darko and the Theatrical Cut disc has been authored poorly. It’s incredibly choppy, as if it’s constantly dropping frames or something. Lots of people on the A.V. Forums reporting the same. Annoyingly the useless Director’s Cut is fine. 

Yeah, I found out after I ordered it.

It's possible it'll play fine on my player, as it's still in the post, but at least Arrow are aware of it and will no doubt issue a replacement. 

Should also mention that I bought it from Hive.co.uk, who currently have a code for 5% off any spend over a tenner. 

Brings it down to £31.97 delivered.

Code: VCHIVESUMMER20

12 hours ago, Yiggy said:

@AK Bell Quick one on the Panasonic. Do you have the HDR Optimiser switched on? It’s suooosed to use the metadata to give a more stable HDR image or summink. 

Yeah, I have it on. It basically does the tone mapping for you from the info you give it as the HDR TV Type. 

It's a massive boost for me on a mid-range LED. It basically crushes the brightness of so many thousand nits on the source into to nits the telly can do (just sub 1000 for me). But does it cleverly on a curve so it looks fantastic. 

How much of a boost you get probably depends on your TV. A good TV doesn't need to squeeze it as much. 

If the movie is using HDR10+ or DV, that will override the optimiser. I've heard it's worth a crack turning them off in the settings and seeing if the optimiser can do a better job. 

On 28/04/2021 at 23:22, Yiggy said:

@AK Bell Quick one on the Panasonic. Do you have the HDR Optimiser switched on?

Without doubt. It can only enhance your image even if you're on one of the higher-end displays from Sony or Panasonic.

To the HDR10+/DV comment, no don't turn it off for those movies as there's a richness in colour depth you will miss.