rllmuk
strider

4K Blu Ray - anyone collecting?

20 hours ago, Hyde said:

Hi. I got a UHD player for Christmas, but am unsure if I should be enabling Game Mode on my TV to get the best picture.

I have a Samsubg KS7000, and googling best settings for 4K and HDR are proving a bit fruitless.

Thanks.

No you definitely should not be enabling game mode for 4K UHD playback.

1. Make sure you have enabled HDR on the HDMI port (samsungs ship with this off by default)

Try something like this (and then tweak)

Backlight: 10-15 (HDR: 20) - You have one setting for non-hdr and a settting for HDR content . It will swtich autmatically. You need to be playing an HDR source to access HDR settings..
Brightness: 45
Contrast: 85-90 (HDR: 100)
Sharpness: 0
Color: 49 (HDR: 50)
Tint: G50/R50

Digital Clean View: Off
Auto Motion Plus: Off
Smart LED: Low (HDR: High)
Film mode: Auto1 or N/A
HDMI black level: Auto or N/A
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Color Tone: Warm 2
White Balance: Standard settings
Gamma: -1 (HDR: 0)
RGB Only Mode: Off
Color Space: Auto

You only want game mode when you hook up a console

Hi all

So just got an 4K TV and Player for Christmas.

Does anyone have a top 10, essential go and buy now 4K movies?

thanks

M

1 hour ago, Triple A said:

With most brands, Warm 2 does present the correct colours

Yeah, to some degree I realise it's me that's nuts. But for me all the white looks a bit pink.

re: Buy now discs.

For image quality? (question over the last couple)

The Revenant

The Shining

The Matrix

Alien

Aquaman

Passengers

Seven Worlds One Planet

Guardians of the Galaxy 2

John Wick 2

On 09/01/2020 at 17:26, AK Bell said:

Yeah, to some degree I realise it's me that's nuts. But for me all the white looks a bit pink.

It might that be your TV has a different ‘white point’ for Warm 2, versus other TVs of that model and other brands/models/units.

And to correct my earlier post, Warm2 tends to be the most accurate colour temperature setting than the others (as opposed to it presenting ‘correct colours’).

The colour temperature setting is for the bit of the TVs image output, that the colour is then built on - further adjustment to colours is still needed for them to be not even correct, but as correct as they can be, all else considered.

Mansplain central! I’ve gone down the TV calibration rabbit hole myself in the last year or so and have found it quite (nerdily) interesting.

Thanks again, everybody. You've all been a great help. 

I look forward to seeing the results this weekend.

• Upvote 1

I cannot do Warm 2. I’ve tried over and over because people keep saying it’s the most accurate but it’s just so damn yellow. It’s the piss filter setting. I’m on Warm 1 and that’s where I’ll be staying. 

9 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

I cannot do Warm 2. I’ve tried over and over because people keep saying it’s the most accurate but it’s just so damn yellow. It’s the piss filter setting. I’m on Warm 1 and that’s where I’ll be staying. 

It's only yellow because the whites are yellow. I had the same issue with both my Samsung and my LG. 

Try giving warm 2 another chance, but this time, adjust the White Balance. Up the blue, decrease the red, and tweak the green. 

• Upvote 2

Note also that warm2 can be more for movies/6500K-mastered content than other content types.
Understood that this thread is a movie related one but in the interest of clarity - game content creators don’t have such a strict standard for colour temp as in the movie world, which influences the fact that my calibrated LG uses warm2 for non-games modes and medium for game mode. (The different picture modes on a TV might have different white points for each colour temp setting too.) (Again, you’ll only know for sure what to use for your TV, when measuring/calibrating.)

Adding a further layer to the base colour temperature discussion and staying on games, games’ HDR mastering at least is moving to some of standard thankfully with the setup of HGIG, an interest group that more devs and publishers are committing to with time. Newer LG TVs possibly those from other brands too, have a setting for HGIG that you should def activate for HDR gaming. Caveat: this setting is not a cure-all for HDR game mode image, and only covers part of the HDR game mode image setup on a TV.

• Upvote 2

I've started my aim of rewatching the Marvel films in 4K with Atmos - up to the end of the first Captain America so far and picture quality is great. I read before hand that the releases get a lot of stick for their Atmos tracks and think I can see why - none have blown me away and the Cap one was so woeful and quiet that switching to the regular surround track knocked it out of the ball park.

My 4k setup is new so is it me missing a setting (entirely possible but my last 4k Atmos was Saving Private Ryan which was something else)? Or should I temper my expectations and they this pants all the way through the releases?

Some Atmos mixes are better than others ofc. In particular, movies not originally made with Atmos in mind tend to have it as an afterthought - thus, either underwrought or overwrought etc. depending on who they got to remaster the audio, how flexible the source files are, how much budget they could commit to the work depending on the forecasted sales the remastering could get, and so on.

One Atmos mix that stood out to me, was surprisingly that of the Baywatch reboot;

there's a bit near the end where a helicopter goes overhead, that's really effective!

With Captain America it seems like it's a really weird mix as some bits seem devoid of sound (I'll spoiler the scenes that stood out as weird, just in case):

Spoiler

It was really noticeable during the prison break. You can hear the blasts going off all over the place, yet the tank rolling around seemed to be flat in Atmos - that didn't feel like it needed to be an Atmos infused bit either.

The scene where Cap is talking to Agent Carter in the rain before going to find Bucky was missing any sense of scale or depth in Atmos, but in the regular surround mix it was much louder, giving more of a sense of being out in the rain with thunder in the distance. If I didn't know better I would have said that was the Atmos mix.

Yet when they dive out of the plane on top of the smaller aircraft, the Atmos track was much clearer and you could hear more of the blades whipping around. When the guy sliders into the propeller it made an amazing 'wet' noise as he got mushed up, where as on the regular surround track the same scenes felt flat.

Doesn't ruin the film but still odd.

edit: I'm a fucking idiot. There was a passthrough setting I'd missed and it wasn't sending Atmos (and some other formats) correctly. While Captain America's not the best test of Atmos, the sound is much improved now. Not mind blowing, but at least the parts I mentioned above have some life to them. The end of Star Spangled Man with a Plan with the explosions is probably the films most noticeable moment of overhead noise.

If anyone cares... I've changed my mind on some tv setting stuff. Had to fiddle with Ghostbusters as it was too noisy and greens were really popping. 

So I'm on warm1 now, mostly because i think warm 2 is shit on my tv. The little bit of sharpness down to 0. But not having it on standard stopped grass looking fake. Just takes a bit of getting used to. 

And contrast enhancer down from high to low. Some things say to turn it off but my tv seems to need a little boost. On too high tho and it was really making the grain, flicker and noise too obvious. 

Oh also, I got some uhd films on amazon video recently because of the sale and they didn't cost much more. They aren't great. I did a comparison with the amazing looking Labyrinth disc. The initial brick corridor shimmers and shines sparkles all over on the disc version. I've banged already about how great it all looked. The Amazon streaming doesn't sparkle anywhere near as much and generally looks about the same quality as blu ray. Everything else I've watched isn't up to cop either. I really hope this isn't the future.

My Deer Hunter disc won’t display after the initial language selection of United Kingdom on my One. The audio is fine but I just have a black screen. Is my disc defective? Apocalypse Now, bought at the same time, appears fine but I also had some playback difficulties with Spiderverse the other day, which I put down to an obviously dirty disc after closer inspection.

Theres no reason the blu ray part of my drive would be broken and the bit that reads games unaffected, is there? I’d have thought if it was broken, it would be across the board...

Thanks

@DC I've had a few failures to load on random discs and it seem to be the tiniest piece of dust or something on the disc. A quick blow and all is fine.

4k discs do seem to be more susceptible to stuff like that than BR ever were.

• Upvote 2

Gemini Man inbound.

I know the film is meant to suck, but I’m curious to see what this native 4K, 60fps, 1.85:1, Dolby Vision transfer will look like on my system.

Gemini Man is weird as hell to watch on an OLED in 4K 60fps. It's like your telly is a window and you're watching real life!

Here's hoping for big bitrate numbers to be reported by the player during playback LOL. 

Who says that's not what movie watching is all about, eh? ;-)

Can confirm; new demo disc material. Bitrate gets into triple-digit territory very regularly, though I suspect that the transfer to UHD disc had to be compressed more than usual, as the bitrate didn't quite seem double what a good, native 4K/24fps/1.85:1 DV transfer would output. I would love to see a more technically-minded-and-assisted analysis into that.

I need to watch the film a couple of times to come to terms with the HFR I think; sometimes I feel really taken out of the film, like it's so realistic that I can't suspend my disbelief. Other times I'm mesmerised - during character closeups, the extra detail present within characters' faces when they deliver their lines, helps further draw you into what they're saying & how. I do (sadly?) suspect that HFR has a bigger future, once filmmakers learn how to better use the technology.

Terrible story etc. though!

13 hours ago, Triple A said:

Can confirm; new demo disc material. Bitrate gets into triple-digit territory very regularly, though I suspect that the transfer to UHD disc had to be compressed more than usual, as the bitrate didn't quite seem double what a good, native 4K/24fps/1.85:1 DV transfer would output. I would love to see a more technically-minded-and-assisted analysis into that.

I need to watch the film a couple of times to come to terms with the HFR I think; sometimes I feel really taken out of the film, like it's so realistic that I can't suspend my disbelief. Other times I'm mesmerised - during character closeups, the extra detail present within characters' faces when they deliver their lines, helps further draw you into what they're saying & how. I do (sadly?) suspect that HFR has a bigger future, once filmmakers learn how to better use the technology.

Terrible story etc. though!

Inter-frame compression would mean that you wouldn't be looking at a straight 2.5x multiplier for file size.