rllmuk
strider

4K Blu Ray - anyone collecting?

Well 4K appears to have broken regular Blu-rays for me now, watched Rogue One last night and it looked distractingly poor. Doesn’t help that I can’t get the 4K version.

On 26/07/2019 at 21:12, John Edward Gammell said:

Plays fine on my Xbone S. 

All UHD discs are region free anyway. 

Yes, wowhd are legit. 

What were your (or anyone’s) opinions on this disc? I thought it looked distinctly rough in some shots (looked like a bodycam in two) and overall was definitely the least impressive disc I have. It’s a great film though, superb realisation of the characters.

I've seen many, many versions of Dredd, across various Blu-ray discs, hunting for the best 2D version with the best sound. They all look rougher than a badger's arse, due to it being digitally shot on various different formats, and cobbled together.

The UHD offsets this to a degree, as it's from a film print. Dunno why you'd do that when it was shot digitally and has a DI, but that's what they did. It masks some of the harsher digital aspects, plus the aliasing present in other versions is gone. 

I found the colours to be more natural on the UHD, (save for the Slo-Mo scenes, obviously), as well it being darker.

Comparing it to the Japanese Blu-ray disc, (the best 2D Blu-ray release), it's less pumped up and cartoony.

While cartoony perfectly fits the film and Dredd's world, I found the UHD to be a grittier experience and it'll probably be my go-to version of Dredd from here onward.

Plus that Atmos track... holy shit!

• Upvote 2

Watching watchmen ultimate cut, what a poor version on 4K. They made it darker than it was before. Shame.

So there are quite a few discs that have come out in other regions but not here. Why is that? Distributors rights etc?

What are the best places to buy from, please? Would Amazon US ship here without issue? I guess I need to keep the value under X amount to avoid import fees?

Zoom do this basic Panasonic bundle for £129.99:

https://www.zoom.co.uk/product/panasonic_ultra_hd_blu_ray_player_dp_ub391eb_5_uhds_limited_edition_zoom_exclusive_hardware_bund

You can get Sony's basic model UBPX500 from Currys for £150. 

Perfectly fine, if you don't care about Dolby Vision, etc. 

Otherwise, there's the Panasonic DP-UB159EB at £154. 

There's also an LG for £149, but like Samsung, I wouldn't touch it with a fucking barge pole. 

• Upvote 1

Avengers Endgame get! Very quick look and it looked stunning, will wait for full viewing in dark room but that’s gonna be hard as I can’t wait to watch it again!

HMV is doing another adding a few extra films today to the 2 for 30. Spoiler for large image that I can't be arsed typing out.

Spoiler

fb_img_1566035772551-jpg.1185013

Really want Shazam this week, as my Dad is visiting and I think he'd enjoy it, and I don't think it's worth full price. But I got all the other good ones already, and a lot of the new releases are a bit duff :/

On 27/08/2019 at 20:25, Revival said:

A UK release for the end of October.

optu4335_1.jpg?width=1200

A bit odd they stress the 2D?

I noticed Arrow are releasing a new limited edition of RoboCop on November 25th. But it's only standard blu-ray, even though it's from a  4k restoration. Bit annoying.

12 hours ago, Monkeyboy said:

I noticed Arrow are releasing a new limited edition of RoboCop on November 25th. But it's only standard blu-ray, even though it's from a  4k restoration. Bit annoying.

I wonder if it's going to be like Waterworld where they release the blu-ray, then the owners release a 4k version themselves not long afterwards.

I have a feeling (so bs probably) part of the deal was that they gave them the restoration to work from (but they didn't do a great job of actually making the UHD)

I didn't realise the extra 40 minutes in the water world cut is HD only. That's going to look interesting…

Eh? The entire extended cut on the 4K disc is in HD only. It's also the censored TV cut.

The 4K version is the theatrical cut.

Don't count on RoboCop popping up anything soon, MGM currently give no fucks about releasing anything catalogue related on 4K, except for Bond.

37 minutes ago, John Edward Gammell said:

Eh? The entire extended cut on the 4K disc is in HD only. It's also the censored TV cut.

Don't count on RoboCop popping up anything soon, MGM currently give no fucks about releasing anything catalogue related on 4K, except for Bond.

Ah that makes sense, the back refered to 40 minutes being hd (that’s how i read it anyway).

2 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

When I was looking LG spinners were to be avoided, Sony & Panasonic seem to be the best budget players but are more than the LG and Samsung etc.

Thanks dude. 

28 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

Thanks dude. 

I bought a Sony UBP-X700 refurb direct from Sony for £129 and it’s a decent unit, if it auto detected DV rather than manually having to turn on/off I would have no real reason to look at upgrading it - quiet enough and played everything with no issues thus far.

1 hour ago, Shimmyhill said:

I bought a Sony UBP-X700 refurb direct from Sony for £129 and it’s a decent unit, if it auto detected DV rather than manually having to turn on/off I would have no real reason to look at upgrading it - quiet enough and played everything with no issues thus far.

That's good to hear.

I don't have Dolby Vision so not too worried about that side of things. 

Trying to decide whether to go soundbar or amp & separates. The former means less cables (handy with young children about) but the latter means more HDMI inputs as well as better sound quality. 

It's a bloody minefield.

On 04/09/2019 at 17:31, John Edward Gammell said:

A good friend of mine did the remaster for Arrow, but I have no idea whether that’s the same restoration that was used as the basis for the 4K Universal disc. I’ve heard reports that the UHD and HD versions included in that set look noticeably different, and jobs for Arrow are never delivered in HDR.

Yeah, the UHD version reigns in the more garish aspects of Arrow's transfer. I much prefer it, although it has it's own issues. 

That said, I have the Arrow set for the Ulysses Cut and other extras.

I put this custom set together, replacing the censored TV cut disc with the UHD, (which contains said cut anyway):

VxuG9uNl.jpg

FOapCwll.jpg