rllmuk
strider

4K Blu Ray - anyone collecting?

Oh cool. I've not been able to see them on any other store. Might have to grab that then.

Hopefully the ugly covers are wrap arounds. It's how it is on the blu-rays with the same packaging but underneath just a badge from the older branding. 

The '89 Batman in 4k is fucking stupendous. What a fucking transfer. The overall picture is "cooler" than I recall, but that could be from me watching previously on TVs that generally had warmer settings, my current TV is more properly calibrated. 

12 hours ago, Thor said:

The '89 Batman in 4k is fucking stupendous. What a fucking transfer. The overall picture is "cooler" than I recall, but that could be from me watching previously on TVs that generally had warmer settings, my current TV is more properly calibrated. 

Ohh man, gonna have to get this as love the film and never got the Blu-ray!

This 4k malarkey is getting out of hand already, I love it!

The reviews are saying even the blu-rays that come with it are better than the current blu-rays, even with the new packaging, as they're the remaster too. 

So it's going to be worth it just for watching it in bed too. 

Oh, I bought it off the WB site, btw :)

Will put me over 50 of these things I said I wouldn't go overboard with.

https://letterboxd.com/ak_bell/list/4k-uhd-collection/

I know it's not Blu-ray, but my iTunes version of '89 has been upgraded and it looks pretty goddamn swish. They've also added all the extras (including the comic adaptation as a slideshow / gallery, which is another real nostalgia kick).

I find it an unexpected and very pleasant surprise that this tends to happen with iTunes purchases. They're always sneaking in new special features and 4K upgrades. The only downside is they never give you any kind of notification it's happened, so you just have to check through your library for likely candidates.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Sabreman said:

They've also added all the extras (including the comic adaptation as a slideshow / gallery, which is another real nostalgia kick).

Man, I read that book front to back back to front a million times over before I finally got to see the movie for real.

And then ruined it for my parents by quoting every line as they said it. 

I could do with a digital copy of that, as my real copy was falling to bits within a year of me owning it. 

My collection is rather small - I’m trying to pick up movies I don’t own already (Alien was too good to pass up).

Just watched The Dark Crystal in preparation for the Netflix series, wasn’t wowed by the picture quality tbh, it does have its moments, but not worth a 4K purchase in my opinion.

BC2C758E-C257-45BB-8ACC-15707B8F82D3.thumb.jpeg.7213e7d396916ff531ba775f7a9738e8.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Batman films turned up. I was surprised the collection was just getting all the individual copies.

Looking back, there was nothing to show it would be like a box-set but I'm still a bit surprised. 

Not that I care. I'm a monster and put all my discs in a folder. 

On 04/06/2019 at 12:49, Sabreman said:

I know it's not Blu-ray, but my iTunes version of '89 has been upgraded and it looks pretty goddamn swish. They've also added all the extras (including the comic adaptation as a slideshow / gallery, which is another real nostalgia kick).

I find it an unexpected and very pleasant surprise that this tends to happen with iTunes purchases. They're always sneaking in new special features and 4K upgrades. The only downside is they never give you any kind of notification it's happened, so you just have to check through your library for likely candidates.

This was one of the reasons I've gone all in on iTunes for movies. Mad Max: Fury Road had the black and white chrome version added with pretty much no fanfare.

Just had a quick look at Batman '89 and it looks incredible. It's probably one of my most watched movies as a kid and the soft VHS look is burned into my brain. This version is like seeing it again for the first time. 

17 hours ago, John Edward Gammell said:

Yay!

XSfwCsXh.jpg

Whoh. Deja vu. You're on blu-ray.com and I claim my £5 reward! 

Is everywhere getting Captain Marvel before the UK? It's not out for another month or so here!!!

43 minutes ago, strider said:

I see how to train your dragon 3 isnt getting a uk release. Pity.

Fucks sake. I was intending to get all 3

I might have to get it from abroad. Was intending to get a new player that was multi-region BR around xmas anyway

ADDITIONAL: sounds like Universal have just given up on the UK in general 

ADDITIONAL ADDITIONAL: so...where is good to import UHDs from to the UK?

7 hours ago, strider said:

I see how to train your dragon 3 isnt getting a uk release. Pity.

Yes it is....

https://www.zoom.co.uk/product/how_to_train_your_dragon_the_hidden_world_4k_ultra_hd_digital_download_uhd

https://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Train-Your-Dragon-Download/dp/B07N1YT5ZL/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=how+to+train+your+dragon+4k&qid=1559940178&s=gateway&sr=8-2

We're not getting the first two, but I imported those from Italy ages ago. 

• Upvote 1

On 06/06/2019 at 07:53, strider said:

The steelbook of First Man is available for £15 from zoom at the moment.

also a quiet place and King Kong.

Ordered this as loved the movie. What's the deal with Zoom? Their website seems pretty dated, but they seem to be run by Universal.

I found the zoom site to be a bit of a pain. The filters and drop downs don't work usually, making it hard to find a bargain. 

On another bargain, I just got Aquaman and Lego Movie 2 for £30 at HMV. They're only on sale til the end of the week. I think Bohemian Rhapsody was the only other one limited to the week. 

I picked up Into the spider verse and Aquaman.

Spiderverse is of course great, and the detail in the 4K Bluray is spectacular

Aquaman is visually nice , especially in the imax shots, but the film itself is utter meh.

Mario wanted £40 for the full set. 

If I'm dropping that amount, I want it brand new and sealed, as I can flog the digital copy for near a tenner, (which I did).

Hence: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAPTAIN-MARVEL-4K-ULTRA-HD-Blu-Ray-Region-free/163683039404?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Today's delivery.

Yeg3Qb0l.jpg

Got fucked off waiting for a UK release of 4 & 5 being announced. Sold all the others, plus the digital copy, so this is currently costing me about £20. I can live with that.