4K Blu Ray - anyone collecting?

13 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

I just realised today that I've never seen Starman

Starman is great, more audience friendly than his other stuff. It has that solid emotional core that’s missing from a lot of modern blockbusters which seem more concerned with “clever” twists. I think the director of Midnight Special cited it as an influence. I prefer Starman though.

• 3 weeks later...

I now have the following queued up that I’ve bought but yet to watch;

3 Billboards

First Man

The Meg

Darkest hour

Predator

shape of water

balderunner 2049

sicario 2 was decent. “Not as good as the first one” of course. Dark Crystal is a superb transfer imho.

On 14/03/2019 at 07:48, Monkeyboy said:

Has there ever been any news that they might start releasing 4k versions of the Bond movies?

There's a rumour of actor boxsets ala how the Blu-rays were originally released, starting with a Daniel Craig set towards the end of the year. 

• 1 month later...

Bumping this as I've watched three exceptional looking films over the last weekend. Aqua Man looks stunning in HDR, Spiderverse is incredible and the surprise was the 40th anniversary of Alien that looks absolutely sensational in places. There's a little bit of add looking grain in a few scenes, but it looks fantastically good for its age.

+1 for Spiderverse which I saw recently and was really impressed by. Alien should arrive in the next day or so, well looking forward to that following seeing some excellent reviews on the image quality. I read that Winter Soldier is pretty impressive too, as it's my #1 MCU movie so far I may have to pick that one up soon as well.

I just got Spiderverse and Alien as well, but not seen them yet because I also got the Captain America box set on the same day and been watching them.

I love the films, and Cap, so I think it's worth it for the HDR bump. But it's not much of an improvement otherwise.  I understand the movies were originally mastered as 2k so hardly surprising, I don't know if they redo it a bit for making the UHD from original film source ... but Tommy Lee Jones has never looked craggier! 

25 minutes ago, AK Bell said:

I love the films, and Cap, so I think it's worth it for the HDR bump. But it's not much of an improvement otherwise.  I understand the movies were originally mastered as 2k so hardly surprising, I don't know if they redo it a bit for making the UHD from original film source ... but Tommy Lee Jones has never looked craggier! 

I'm torn on these I like the first, love the second, and don't care about the third. Annoyingly they don't appear to have separate releases in the UK :(

Any good USA / Canadian store for online ordering without duty and postage charge. Just wondering. Amazon.com is too expensive. 

I have stop buying new release of 4K films due to 25 pounds. I will wait until there is price drop to 15 pounds or be part of deal package. Not too worried as I still got 25 films to watch on 4K blu ray. 

Last film I got are Verom and La La Land. 

I buy most of my US discs 2nd hand, unless it's something I really want. 

I use here mostly: https://www.gopeachy.com/

They are not customs safe AFAIK, but I've ordered nothing over $20 before shipping. All items arrive in around a week, my copy of Aquaman arrived today, (the UK version is censored). 

I also use these fellas on ebay, who are all 100% customs safe: 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/7833stevens

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/carmenymario

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/eazyshopping4everyone

They tend to inflate prices for popular titles upon release, or if they have something earlier than elsewhere. The prices usually reduce later on. 

11 hours ago, AK Bell said:

Sub-40 quid is a decent price for 3 films though. 

True, but I’m trying to not go mad with 4k like I did with blu ray. Managed to find winter soldier for £20 so happy with that .

I've got Spider-Verse and Planet Earth 2/Blue Planet on the way - toying with getting Mission Impossible: Fallout and GotG2 as I don't have them on Regular BluRay. 

Had a look on Amazon for 4K blu-rays and was surprised to see how few are out in that format. Seems like big studio films from the last 6 months have a chance of getting a release, but backlist is not likely? Last Jedi and Solo, but not Force Awakens for example? Is it likely to be a drip feed over a long period of time, have releases increased lately? Is there a coming soon linky?

I think most of the companies decided all new blockbuster releases would (likely) have a 4k release, and it would be worth it because more people would buy it as their first copy. It's a bit risker when people already own it. Disney seem to be going back and doing some Marvel films now, in collections, as it's worth it. But Star Wars, not many are going to triple dip buying Force Awakens after it's already had a regular blu-ray and a fancy pants 3D one. They'll be waiting for the trilogy pack to do it.